MAZDA 6

Voxy28

On the issue of boot space, I was wondering has anybody totally taken out the spare wheel and the jack up tools hidden at the boot tray below to increase the depth of the boot cabin?

In order to fit 2 foldable bikes, I tried. Only issue I had was the boot tray was soft and it buckled when I put the bike on it. So, as a quick fix, I put styrofoam below it to give it support. Its works, but I wanted to see if anyone came out with an even better solution.

Thanks

I have removed the spare wheel because sometime I need to keep the baby seat in boot.

I have installed the lower boot kit (free gift from my SA) so the boot can be lower down for few centimetre.

I think that you should able to purchase it from TEK.

↡ Advertisement

Hi, my 2-month old Mazda 6 is my first car so I have little experience on the fuel economy of the car with my driving pattern.

I do almost 100% city driving almost only between home and work. My home is near Redhill and work is near Suntec City.

Now, I'm getting 12.3L/100km consistently. By following some of the experience I learned online, I never floor the accelerator pedal and only start my car in a gradual pace. I also don't drive over the speed limit. I have to refuel every two weeks.

Still this fuel economy seems really far off from the official figure even taking into consideration of zero high-way driving. Could anyone advice if this is potential defect of the car?

My best fc is 5.0l per 100km for a cruise controlled kpe mce trip.
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

My Mazda 6 2.0 only able to get 12L/100km for 100% city drive.

I think it is normal because my old Sylphy 1.5 only can get 11L/100km for same driving pattern.

However, my Mazda 6 can achieve 6-7L/100km if 100% highway.

Thank you! Hearing about similar experience is comforting. And my Mazda 6 is 2.0, too. 

My best fc is 5.0l per 100km for a cruise controlled kpe mce trip.

Wow that's almost half the official figure. Didn't know it can be so efficient on high way.

Turbocharged

Hi, my 2-month old Mazda 6 is my first car so I have little experience on the fuel economy of the car with my driving pattern.

I do almost 100% city driving almost only between home and work. My home is near Redhill and work is near Suntec City.

Now, I'm getting 12.3L/100km consistently. By following some of the experience I learned online, I never floor the accelerator pedal and only start my car in a gradual pace. I also don't drive over the speed limit. I have to refuel every two weeks.

Still this fuel economy seems really far off from the official figure even taking into consideration of zero high-way driving. Could anyone advice if this is potential defect of the car?

To further allay your fears, since you are going to town I'm sure you are driving in significant start-stop traffic during your commute. Official economy numbers are mostly estimated or under controlled conditions and in our driving conditions it is extremely rare to get anywhere near them. But it's also not unusual to get better than the official numbers for full on highway cruising.

Also consider that if you drive too slowly and accelerate very slowly you may actually be driving less efficiently. Depending on the engine characteristics, you might save more petrol by accelerating quicker with middle rev range and getting into high gear. The vast majority of cars will have their highest fuel efficiency at highway speeds 80~110km/h

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

To further allay your fears, since you are going to town I'm sure you are driving in significant start-stop traffic during your commute. Official economy numbers are mostly estimated or under controlled conditions and in our driving conditions it is extremely rare to get anywhere near them. But it's also not unusual to get better than the official numbers for full on highway cruising.

Also consider that if you drive too slowly and accelerate very slowly you may actually be driving less efficiently. Depending on the engine characteristics, you might save more petrol by accelerating quicker with middle rev range and getting into high gear. The vast majority of cars will have their highest fuel efficiency at highway speeds 80~110km/h

Thank you for the advice!

• Praise 1

Thanks for your reply. I understand the lower boot kit is $400+. I find it's overpriced for a boot mat

I have removed the spare wheel because sometime I need to keep the baby seat in boot.
I have installed the lower boot kit (free gift from my SA) so the boot can be lower down for few centimetre.
I think that you should able to purchase it from TEK.

Thanks for your reply. I understand the lower boot kit is $400+. I find it's overpriced for a boot mat

I saw someone sell it in Carousell at $100.

Turbocharged

I would like to check with the Mazda 6 owners especially if you own the older Mazda 6 model (2008)

When you first on the aircon , does the condenser fan runs immediately?  if it does not, how long does it takes before it starts running?

I suspect my condenser fan is not working. It does run only when the radiator fan kicks-in. And they both spin for about a minute or two and then stop. However when AC is on, the condenser fan doesn't come on.

Twincharged

I would like to check with the Mazda 6 owners especially if you own the older Mazda 6 model (2008)

When you first on the aircon , does the condenser fan runs immediately?  if it does not, how long does it takes before it starts running?

I suspect my condenser fan is not working. It does run only when the radiator fan kicks-in. And they both spin for about a minute or two and then stop. However when AC is on, the condenser fan doesn't come on.

Condenser Fan should run once the Aircon is On.

I saw someone sell it in Carousell at $100.

Willing to let my one go at half the price of u need..I feel the boot is big enough and I need the spare tire there so the kit will not be required for my case
  • Praise 1

Tested drive the m6 last weekend ..

Felt that the car is rather slow in reacting to the response of the accelerator?

Kinda blood pressure stop at the hip area.

Could not further push up to the brain.

I know this is just a test drive and hence cannot have the full experience of driving and owning it

Is it normal or need further run in to fully bring thre beast out ?

(edited)

did you test drive the 2.0 or 2.5 ?

Face it. This aint a sports car and the SkyActiv engine is not meant for persistent rev-ing. Its main aim is in fuel economy and emission. It would let you have a bit of fun but thats it.

I feel teh Civic is a more sportier and fun car to drive if you want to compare in this area.

Felt that the car is rather slow in reacting to the response of the accelerator?

I know this is just a test drive and hence cannot have the full experience of driving and owning it

Edited by Davidtkl

I have same feeling during my test drive in Dec 18.

But now I am the owner of Mazda 6 2.0.

Yes, you will feel slow while start to move.

(Even compared with my old Wish 1.8 or Sylphy 1.5).

Bec other Japan car will make us feel like quick to move. But Mazda 6 is more linear response to accelerator especially on high speed or high RPM.

(edited)

Face it. This aint a sports car and the SkyActiv engine is not meant for persistent rev-ing. Its main aim is in fuel economy and emission. It would let you have a bit of fun but thats it.

I feel teh Civic is a more sportier and fun car to drive if you want to compare in this area.

In fact, I feel that SKYACTIVE engine is good in high rpm and Mazda 6-speed gear box is much fun to drive compare with CVT in Civic 1.6.

I have test drive both Mazda 6 2.0 and Civic 1.6 during my car hunting.

Build Quality: Mazda 6

Power: Mazda 6

Space: Civic

Driving Position: Mazda 6

I choose mazda 6 over Civic because CVT and seat position is too low for my parents.

Edited by Nkw0820
  • Praise 1

Test drove the 2.0....

Rather somehow ... my 1.2 turbo is more responsive... especially during cool weather

In fact, I feel that SKYACTIVE engine is good in high rpm and Mazda 6-speed gear box is much fun to drive compare with CVT in Civic 1.6.

I have test drive both Mazda 6 2.0 and Civic 1.6 during my car hunting.

Build Quality: Mazda 6

Power: Mazda 6

Space: Civic

Driving Position: Mazda 6

I choose mazda 6 over Civic because CVT and seat position is too low for my parents.

Have to agree on the more comfy seat and easy entree to the car..

How is the m6 more fun..???

(edited)

Turbo should be more dynamic but comparing a 1.2 turbo with a 2.0 and yet better. I think this is a bit over rated, as a previous owner of 1.4t vw before mazda 6. I do not find my 1.4t much better in term of power.

Bear in mind a normal soft pressure turbo only add 400cc to a car. A 1.2 turbo at most is a 1.6NA car in term of power.

Edited by Kenomi
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2