MAZDA 6

Voxy28

On 12/6/2019 at 9:41 AM, Chunjian89 said:

Thanks for the tips guys. Will get it changed asap.

Brought a used car and they done a free servicing before handover. Can't complaint 😂

Hi Chun,

Wun damage engine but just not efficient running with thicker eo.

Using thinner is more likely to exert excessive pressure on seals that prompts leakages but then again, just one time will also not be castrophic.

Meanwhile, enjoy more quiet engine if noticable due to thicker eo ...lol !

Cheers.

Richard

• Haha! 1

9 hours ago, richard_crl032 said:

Hi Chun,

Wun damage engine but just not efficient running with thicker eo.

Using thinner is more likely to exert excessive pressure on seals that prompts leakages but then again, just one time will also not be castrophic.

Meanwhile, enjoy more quiet engine if noticable due to thicker eo ...lol !

Cheers.

Richard

Yah Thicker Oil run Quieter..also Damage the Valvetrain....

8 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

Yah Thicker Oil run Quieter..also Damage the Valvetrain....

Hi ER,

Dunno about damaging the valvetrain but as 1 bro pointed out, all are within operating conditions.

Believe not castrophic enuff to warrant immediate change .. in fact when car ages and to reduce leakage, thicker eo within specification is recommended.

Our tropical ambience temp also means that our engine unfortunately runs hotter which also means thicker oil is thinned out a bit more than winter countries.

Cheers.

Richard

• Praise 2

On 12/9/2019 at 3:29 PM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi ER,

Dunno about damaging the valvetrain but as 1 bro pointed out, all are within operating conditions.

Believe not castrophic enuff to warrant immediate change .. in fact when car ages and to reduce leakage, thicker eo within specification is recommended.

Our tropical ambience temp also means that our engine unfortunately runs hotter which also means thicker oil is thinned out a bit more than winter countries.

Cheers.

Richard

If my understanding of oil ratings is correct the rating really determines the viscosity range of the oil at cold ambient temperatures and operating temp. The lower number represents viscosity in winter and the higher number represents viscosity at operating temp. 

The problems arise when during cold temps (ie winter), the oil isn't thin enough to lubricate the engine parts, so 0w-20 is important because at cold temps it's still thin enough to coat the engine parts. 

The thing is, the lower winter temperatures are rated at something like -25 degC, which is way below what we get in SG.  So theoretically, 5w-40 is actually fine for the engine rated for oil that is 0w-20, because the ambient temperature of Sg means the oil will still be thin enough to operate. 

Don't get me wrong, you should always follow the manufacturers specifications, but the theory says its fine. 

Take a look at this diagram to give you an idea. 

SAE_Viscocity.png

• Praise 3

Just curious, so if we use 5W/30 where max. is 30 deg C, and Singapore exceeds 30 deg C, what will happen to the engine ?

Insufficient lubrication, and some minor engine wear after prolonged usage ?

33 minutes ago, Dadiao said:

Just curious, so if we use 5W/30 where max. is 30 deg C, and Singapore exceeds 30 deg C, what will happen to the engine ?

5w-30 and 0w-20 is intended for cold temp countries, and 15w-50 is actually better for hot temp countries. The higher second number is the viscosity (or thickness) at 100 deg C (I think) or close to engine operating temp. You don't want the oil to thin out too quickly at operating temps, because you still need a certain viscosity to maintain good seals etc.

Basically you should always follow manufaturer recommendations, but choosing 5w-30 over 0w-20 isn't as bad as making your engine blow up (in theory), because SG weather isn't prone to cold climates. 

Edited by GTO-1

7 hours ago, Dadiao said:

Almost all Mazda 6 used 0w-20 nothing happen,even go high Speed in M'sia...even go thru 3-4 Hours jams at Custom....

3 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

Almost all Mazda 6 used 0w-20 nothing happen,even go high Speed in M'sia...even go thru 3-4 Hours jams at Custom....

Correct. Nothing should happen, because its manufacturer recommended oil and the manufacturer would have done hot weather testing to ensure the engine (and recommended oil) operates effectively across a wide band of temperatures. 

Just saying that given the temperatures in Singapore, although not recommended, going with a different grade oil like 5w-30, probably won't have much impact to the engine. 

2 hours ago, GTO-1 said:

Correct. Nothing should happen, because its manufacturer recommended oil and the manufacturer would have done hot weather testing to ensure the engine (and recommended oil) operates effectively across a wide band of temperatures. 

Just saying that given the temperatures in Singapore, although not recommended, going with a different grade oil like 5w-30, probably won't have much impact to the engine. 

It’s a fine art to balance fuel efficiency and HTHS.

I believe original spec oil 0w-20 HTHS should be around 2.6.

Just find 20wt oil with HTHS of 3 will be more than adequate.

On 12/11/2019 at 11:24 PM, Dadiao said:

A 0W-20 lubricant will give better protection in cold countries (which we are not) as it is less viscous. A 5W-30 will give better protection in hotter countries but as it has higher viscosity, the performance of the engine of the car will be reduced compared to a 0W-20. Normally it is a risk to use thinner lubricants but in this case as it is specified by Mazda, they assume the risk. Using 0W-20 not an issue with new engines but older engines normally need thicker lubricants for better protection.

https://www.lubricants.total.com/what-are-oil-grades

(Extract)

"Viscosity is notated with the common "XW-XX." The number preceding the "W" rates the oil's flow at 0 degrees Fahrenheit (-17.8 degrees Celsius). The "W" stands for winter, not weight as many people think. The lower the number here, the less it thickens in the cold. So 5W-30 viscosity engine oil thickens less in the cold than a 10W-30, but more than a 0W-30. An engine in a colder climate, where motor oil tends to thicken because of lower temperatures, would benefit from 0W or 5W viscosity. A car in Death Valley would need a higher number to keep the oil from thinning out too much.

The second number after the "W" indicates the oil's viscosity measured at 212 degrees Fahrenheit (100 degrees Celsius). This number represents the oil's resistance to thinning at high temperatures. For example, 10W-30 oil will thin out at higher temperatures faster than 10W-40 will."

Hi everyone, I just found this great forum when I was searching for some info about servicing mazda 6 (2016 model, 2.5L).

I'll be doing my 40K servicing soon in JB and I would like to buy most of the parts required locally. May I know:

1) what engine oil is recommended for mazda 6? Is it 0W20? What brand is good?

2) which denso iridium spark plug is recommended for mazda 6?

3) Also, where to buy the 2 items above?

Many thanks in advance. Let me know if there's any meetup. Would love to meet other mazda 6 owners and find out more in person. 

I forgot to add that I tend to drag my servicings beyond 10k. The last time I serviced was in Feb 2019, at the 25k mark. Now is already at 41k. So I need a better grade of engine oil

1 hour ago, meesterhat said:

Hi everyone, I just found this great forum when I was searching for some info about servicing mazda 6 (2016 model, 2.5L).

I'll be doing my 40K servicing soon in JB and I would like to buy most of the parts required locally. May I know:

1) what engine oil is recommended for mazda 6? Is it 0W20? What brand is good?

2) which denso iridium spark plug is recommended for mazda 6?

3) Also, where to buy the 2 items above?

Many thanks in advance. Let me know if there's any meetup. Would love to meet other mazda 6 owners and find out more in person. 

Engine Oil & Oil Filter can get at Chin Hon at 62, Race Course Rd...62943623...if you want cheaper Oil...can get Mobil 1 at Gee Boon at Rangoon Rd,62985330..$15.00 per Qt..you need 5 bottles...as for Spark Plugs,it can lasts another 40,000km..so don't waste your $$$.

1 hour ago, meesterhat said:

I forgot to add that I tend to drag my servicings beyond 10k. The last time I serviced was in Feb 2019, at the 25k mark. Now is already at 41k. So I need a better grade of engine oil

Better don't drag your Oil Change if you intend to keep your Car....

1 hour ago, ER-3682 said:

Engine Oil & Oil Filter can get at Chin Hon at 62, Race Course Rd...62943623...if you want cheaper Oil...can get Mobil 1 at Gee Boon at Rangoon Rd,62985330..$15.00 per Qt..you need 5 bottles...as for Spark Plugs,it can lasts another 40,000km..so don't waste your $$$.

Dats fast!! Thanks for the info ER-3682... Shall not change the sparkplugs then. Juz the EO...

1 hour ago, ER-3682 said:

Better don't drag your Oil Change if you intend to keep your Car....

Got it. Appreciate the advice... I've been putting back the servicing because of all the research dat needs to be done, as well as the time involved in obtaining all the items from different sources...

Sometimes I wonder if i should just pay the price at local workshops to just do everything for me.

↡ Advertisement