MAZDA 6

Voxy28

On 3/29/2020 at 12:03 AM, Dna_engine said:

Mine lasted 1 year 7 months for the 2.5L wagon - agree with the fact that the stock batteries are not good. Changed to maintenance free type last Oct, let's see how long this one last.

do you think battery will last differently depending on climate?

my dad's friend in sg asking me about mazda 3 replacement battery. think only last 2 year plus. but my mazda 3 2.5L in australia, have been using the same battery. 5 years going on 6. still 91% health when i last checked.

i never use istop since day 1 when i collected my car. only sometimes maybe in a rush forget but that is only a handful of times. whereas my dad friend just runs it normally without turning istop off. so.. technically besides climate, that is the only variable.. 

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, louisbosco said:

my dad's friend in sg asking me about mazda 3 replacement battery. think only last 2 year plus. but my mazda 3 2.5L in australia, have been using the same battery. 5 years going on 6. still 91% health when i last checked.

i never use istop since day 1 when i collected my car. only sometimes maybe in a rush forget but that is only a handful of times. whereas my dad friend just runs it normally without turning istop off. so.. technically besides climate, that is the only variable.. 

There is a possibility - my wife use to drive an E200K and the battery is located in the trunk, I only changed 2 batteries until we scrapped the car at 9.5 years. First batter from the factory lasted 4 years and I changed a second one on the 8th year because I was afraid the battery cannot last for another 2 years. Most of our batteries are in the engine compartment that gets very hot - my old Alfa 159's battery last only 13-14 months. Some may say it's due to dark current but I am not an engineer, so I do not have a clue what that means.

10 hours ago, Dna_engine said:

There is a possibility - my wife use to drive an E200K and the battery is located in the trunk, I only changed 2 batteries until we scrapped the car at 9.5 years. First batter from the factory lasted 4 years and I changed a second one on the 8th year because I was afraid the battery cannot last for another 2 years. Most of our batteries are in the engine compartment that gets very hot - my old Alfa 159's battery last only 13-14 months. Some may say it's due to dark current but I am not an engineer, so I do not have a clue what that means.

i meant more of climate between australia and singapore. tbh, there's not much differences except for humidity. perth doesn't get as cold as european or america anyway. i feel like it's down to istop.

can't remember where i got the info but one of their engineers working on mazda told me that istop tends to drain more from the battery to restart the engine on the go. furthermore, during idle and the engine is cut, the power is draining from the battery. so i put it down to that as to why my battery is still going strong. 

as a side note, all/most european car battery is in the trunk. not sure if it helps keep out the coldness during winter or that's the way they design to free up space in the engine bay. my old BMW E90 M3 is also in the trunk. 

Supercharged
17 hours ago, Dna_engine said:

I agree with you that batteries out of the engine compartment probably can last longer, I believe it is the heat from engine causing deterioration.

my NX200t batteries all change at 1.5 years.

On 4/1/2020 at 1:03 PM, louisbosco said:

Not sure if it's just the climate or it's more the distance travelled per journey... the longer each journey is, the better for the battery cos it has the time to charge back properly and fully... but our very short trips in Singapore at low speeds depletes the batteries which don't fully charge back properly. That's my take.

• Praise 1

On 4/2/2020 at 8:39 AM, t0y0ta said:

I agree with you that batteries out of the engine compartment probably can last longer, I believe it is the heat from engine causing deterioration.

my NX200t batteries all change at 1.5 years.

Wow, 1.5 years is quite short. My wife's NX200T was changed at 2.5 years, maybe because she only drives to the office and back - her car is 4 years old now and mileage is 42k.

(edited)
On 3/31/2020 at 9:53 AM, Tbt001 said:

Test drive the CX-30 and please pressure them to bring in the SkyActiv X engine.

Hi Tbt001,

I would only want turbo charged mazda6 if I have my wish ... get full electric or hybrid since petrol engine will meet its evitable end .. skyactive x or y or z isnt too interesting for me.

Cheers 

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

Hi all Mazda6 owners, hope you all doing well in this CB period 🙂

I discovered 2 issues on my car recently, would like to seek advice on anyone who experience these before...

1. My side mirror retract (close) well when I remote lock the car. However it cannot finished expand (open) when I remote unlock. If I apply a little bit of force during it expands, it can expand completely. Motor problem? Heard Mazda 6 got side mirror issue, is that something like this?

2. When I Push Start the engine, there is a 'krrrrrkk" sound from the dash board. The sounds is a little bit like motor/gear jam like that. It only happen during the FIRST engine start after unlock the car. If I off the engine and restart again, there is no such sound. (Attached a video below)

Currently Mazda close their service center, have to wait until May for the service check. So would like to first consult the owners here.

Thank you!

Twincharged
11 hours ago, cckboy said:

Hi all Mazda6 owners, hope you all doing well in this CB period 🙂

I discovered 2 issues on my car recently, would like to seek advice on anyone who experience these before...

1. My side mirror retract (close) well when I remote lock the car. However it cannot finished expand (open) when I remote unlock. If I apply a little bit of force during it expands, it can expand completely. Motor problem? Heard Mazda 6 got side mirror issue, is that something like this?

2. When I Push Start the engine, there is a 'krrrrrkk" sound from the dash board. The sounds is a little bit like motor/gear jam like that. It only happen during the FIRST engine start after unlock the car. If I off the engine and restart again, there is no such sound. (Attached a video below)

Currently Mazda close their service center, have to wait until May for the service check. So would like to first consult the owners here.

Thank you!

Mirror are common problem,as for the Video,seems like it is from Starter....you may send the Video to Agent,& wait for their reply.

On 3/31/2020 at 2:02 PM, Tbt001 said:

Yes, the ratings indicate the viscosity of the oil.  And the lower number is not relevant in Singapore because I cannot remember the last time we had winter.  The higher number is relevant to Singapore's climate.  The higher the number the more viscous (or thicker) the oil.  Hence the 0W-20 oil is thinner, more efficient for the engine (slightly more power and slightly better FC) but being a thinner oil it will breakdown sooner.  Hence the need to change more regularly.  This is why for 0W-20, you should use a good synthetic oil.  The other oil 5W-40 is thicker and hence less energy efficient. But it will last longer.  It will not damage the engine.  And you can use a longer interval for oil changes.

If based on your post, why not use a 5W-50 or 10W-60? Won't it extend the change interval to a longer period?

5 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

Mirror are common problem,as for the Video,seems like it is from Starter....you may send the Video to Agent,& wait for their reply.

Thanks @ER-3682! The common problem in side mirror is due to the motor/gear? any idea how they gonna fix that?

For the weird sound, not sure whether it is due to starter because it happen only on the first engine start after car unlock. there is no such sound on subsequent engine starts as long as you dont lock and unlock your car.

I've scheduled a check-up, just have to wait for a while. Not much driving nowadays too. 🙂

On 11/19/2010 at 10:19 AM, Voxy28 said:

How come this model like no value one? 5k dep nia...

Sell that time should be 4k...... jialat. Is it a problematic car?

resale value not very good but mazda have so much feature that toyota and honda dont have

Twincharged
6 hours ago, cckboy said:

Thanks @ER-3682! The common problem in side mirror is due to the motor/gear? any idea how they gonna fix that?

For the weird sound, not sure whether it is due to starter because it happen only on the first engine start after car unlock. there is no such sound on subsequent engine starts as long as you dont lock and unlock your car.

I've scheduled a check-up, just have to wait for a while. Not much driving nowadays too. 🙂

Both Motor & Gear...change New one.

On 4/8/2020 at 9:08 AM, OnceInALifeTime said:

If based on your post, why not use a 5W-50 or 10W-60? Won't it extend the change interval to a longer period?

This is possible if you can find these grades easily.  However note what I wrote earlier:  "The other oil 5W-40 is thicker and hence less energy efficient."  Not only would your FC get worse, the power from your engine will also suffer because energy is lost pushing against the thicker oil.

On 4/8/2020 at 1:02 PM, cckboy said:

The side mirror issue seems to be pretty common for Mazda cars. They'll get it fixed under warranty by changing the internal parts.

The mechanical sound you hear when you start the car should be the steering lock being released. The steering lock engages when you stop the engine and open the door. Releases when you start the engine cause it's push start unlike old steering lock mechanism. However it does sound weird on your video. Definitely get them to check it once possible 

On 4/9/2020 at 4:04 PM, Tbt001 said:

This is possible if you can find these grades easily.  However note what I wrote earlier:  "The other oil 5W-40 is thicker and hence less energy efficient."  Not only would your FC get worse, the power from your engine will also suffer because energy is lost pushing against the thicker oil.

But how is it possible to increase the change interval when using thicker multi-viscosity engine oil?

As to attain multi-viscosity is using Viscosity modifier additives;  the wider the range, it is difficult to maintain its grade after subjected to the shearing forces, thermal and oxidation.

https://www.infineuminsight.com/media/1813/2-viscosity-modifiers-na.pdf

https://www.oronite.com/products-technology/viscosity-modifiers/default.aspx

After the additives in oil has been wore out, it will no longer be effective in engine protection. Which is lubricating and cleaning.

In fact, I think if the intention is to extent change intervals. It is better to look out for recommended grade of engine oil by vehicle manufacturer, and engine oil with high HTHS value.

2nd Gear
On 4/9/2020 at 8:52 PM, Conan86 said:

The side mirror issue seems to be pretty common for Mazda cars. They'll get it fixed under warranty by changing the internal parts.

The mechanical sound you hear when you start the car should be the steering lock being released. The steering lock engages when you stop the engine and open the door. Releases when you start the engine cause it's push start unlike old steering lock mechanism. However it does sound weird on your video. Definitely get them to check it once possible 

My M6 reaching 3 years. Had the same problem. Brought it to the workshop. Both side mirrors changed FOC since still under warranty.

2nd Gear
On 12/21/2019 at 4:17 PM, szekt said:

Works best with postal code;  map is not as updated as google map but like the fact that instructions are seen on HUD

I use postal codes also. Works well.

↡ Advertisement