MAZDA 6

Voxy28

After some deliberation, I have decided to go with the new 2.0L.

Do note though that the 2021 model has some features removed from it compared to the 2020 model. The notable ones are

1. Removal of DVD drive

2. Removal of Lane Departure Warning

3. Removal of Adaptive Front lighting and High Beam Control

As far as I know, all other features remain identical.

1 hour ago, Jemig said:

@arataka Since owning cost is identical, I would go for the 2.5 given both are GL2 models. It would be a no brainer decision for me. You still have another 1.5yrs of AD warranty at least. Resale value of Mazda is not as great compared to the other 2 more popular Japs brand so the 2.5 would have already taken a beat from the first owner.

Coming from an AR and Civic turbo previously, 2L is a tad sluggish on pickup. Cruising no issue.

Hope you'll make an informed decision. 

This was my exact thought process, especially the part about 2.5L having already depreciated quite a lot. The pickup as you say is noticeably better as well. I was very close to confirming the resale car. However, I was a little uncomfortable with the history behind the car ownership (I would actually be the 3rd owner). For peace of mind, I decided to proceed with a new car. I will be heading down very soon confirm the purchase!

Can't wait to join the Mazda 6 family now.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Hopefully Tek will bring in the new 2022vmazda 6 plug in hybrid skyactiv x 2litre engine. Hopefully 0 to 100 can be 8 seconds... haha.

18 minutes ago, arataka said:

Do note though that the 2021 model has some features removed from it compared to the 2020 model. The notable ones are

1. Removal of DVD drive

This was my exact thought process, especially the part about 2.5L having already depreciated quite a lot. The pickup as you say is noticeably better as well. I was very close to confirming the resale car. However, I was a little uncomfortable with the history behind the car ownership (I would actually be the 3rd owner). For peace of mind, I decided to proceed with a new car. I will be heading down very soon confirm the purchase!

You do have to rev the 2.0 a little when moving off and over inclines, but normal cruising is fine and picks up speed smoothly enough. I’m driving the cx30 with the same 2.0 engine :) 

you’ll definitely enjoy the handling, and I would agree with going for the new car for peace of mind. 2.5 at the end of the day is not much brisker and road tax is more. I would only go for the 2.5 if I want the wagon. 

• Praise 4

(edited)

Just to share, after owning the Mazda 6 for slightly more than 6 months now, I found that this is really a good car to drive, not those boring CVT transmission in most Jap car. FC wise is pretty decent, it show an average of 8.2L/100km on the monitor so far. I like the drive comfort, the Bose sound system, the safety features (not the lane departure though, it's annoying at times), the handling (comparable to conti IMO). The HUD is a very good feature to have and Android Auto is a must have for me. The down sides about Mazda 6 is, getting into the car is "not easy" for me, may sprain your ankles and knock your head if not careful. Also, the front in car camera which came with the car always dropped off, I reported this to the service centre during servicing and was told they replaced the sticker for me. However, the problem still persist till now. Overall, I got the car in Dec last year with a very good price than and I strongly feel that this car will accompany me for many years to come. Value for money? Definitely IMO. 

Edited by Des72
Wrongly stated FC
  • Praise 2

On 5/26/2021 at 9:22 PM, arataka said:

1. Removal of DVD drive

You will not regret for sure. To me, 2.0L is sufficient enough for daily usage on Singapore road. The pick up might be a ted sluggish but when it hit higher speed, it cruises smoothly. Overtake on highway is no issue. You can try the sport mode, it's shiok but FC will increase too. Removal of lane departure warning is great as it may be annoying at times and we don't really need it on Singapore road. However, Adaptive front lighting and adaptive high beam control is great to have. The HUD is a great feature for Mazda 6 and I really appreciate this feature. Android auto is another must have feature for me too.

Twincharged
17 hours ago, Des72 said:

You will not regret for sure. To me, 2.0L is sufficient enough for daily usage on Singapore road. The pick up might be a ted sluggish but when it hit higher speed, it cruises smoothly. Overtake on highway is no issue. You can try the sport mode, it's shiok but FC will increase too. Removal of lane departure warning is great as it may be annoying at times and we don't really need it on Singapore road. However, Adaptive front lighting and adaptive high beam control is great to have. The HUD is a great feature for Mazda 6 and I really appreciate this feature. Android auto is another must have feature for me too.

Yes,won't regret since Feb 2013..

• Praise 1

(edited)
18 hours ago, Des72 said:

Hi des,

Indeed I believe Ara had made the right choice with a new 2.0l and nothing much to dislike about the mazda 6 at its price especially how nice its interiors, HUD (executive upwards), AA (digital fm radio) etc. are as well as its very good FC of average 8l/100km even when driven harder ... my wife can do 7l/100km.

However, putting it into sports mode does not make it significantly easier drive ... it just hold to lower gears and make more noise without getting significantly faster or more confidently to drive. But agreed that it is a low speed to pick up when it is more important while all fine at hwy speed.

Btw, CVT works fine and while not the preferred traditional gear of mazda, it is really about engine performance ... try my forester xt at 350Nm 240bhp with high torque cvt and you will know what I mean as it is not boring albeit not 8l/100km but 8km/l 😅

Cheers.

Richard

PS: Toyota Camry 2.5 hybrid VVTI and Honda Civic Turbo with CVTs also fine and not boring ... CVT save cost and improves FC. And there is totally different beast of metal belt cvt of Audi that I am sure none will find boring in even at A4 and upwards but not at A3 or Q3 .. engine performance/size again.

Edited by richard_crl032
  • Praise 1

On 5/23/2021 at 9:58 PM, Westin said:

If only Tek would bring in... even the skyactiv x engine... they only bring in limited units and priced the cx 30 at $150k for the engine... how to compete with the conti? Which uses turbo charged engine and priced lower.. e.g. skoda..

Din know got cx30 but indeed will not sell at 150k ... get a forester xt 😅

So I just collected my new Mazda 6 2.0L ride. I pumped RON98 instead and the difference is like night and day compared to the RON95 that came with the car. The power delivery is so much better. With this difference, I am much more light footed, which will hopefully lead to fuel savings too. 

I am quite happy with the cabin sound. There is a little bit of road noise, but I like to hear that sound. The wind sound is also quite soft even at highway speeds but its something I don't really like. I recall reading somewhere deep in the forum that some of you bought some rubber lining for the doors. Anyone has any recommendation on what type to get and which part of the door to install?

Thanks in advance.

(edited)

@arataka maybe for the next tank you might wanna switch back to RON95 and see if the night and day difference is still there. The increased liveliness may well be cos your engine is loosening up and you are getting more used to the car. I personally doubt that there is such a vast difference. 

There is a very substantial price difference between the 2 types of fuel grade and whatever supposed FC improvement will not be enough to cover the difference in costs. 

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 4

6 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

@arataka maybe for the next tank you might wanna switch back to RON95 and see if the night and day difference is still there. The increased liveliness may well be cos your engine is loosening up and you are getting more used to the car. I personally doubt that there is such a vast difference. 

There is a very substantial price difference between the 2 types of fuel grade and whatever supposed FC improvement will not be enough to cover the difference in costs. 

Yes. Taking pre-discount prices between SPC 98 and 95, the difference is $0.46 cents per litre. 

Assuming you are doing 12km per litre with 95, you would need to get 14km per litre out of 98 to break even in terms of cost per kilometre travelled. 

• Praise 2

On 6/24/2021 at 12:06 PM, Toeknee_33 said:

@Toeknee_33

For sure got difference with higher octane car ... performance spec. are always with relationship to octane of fuel.

Indeed also it is a lot to pay and if looking to overall cost, it will not be economical.  However, since when is owning a car in Singapore economic and there are many who pays a lot more into conti, performance etc. beyond economics.

Cheers.

18 minutes ago, richard_crl032 said:

@Toeknee_33

For sure got difference with higher octane car ... performance spec. are always with relationship to octane of fuel.

Indeed also it is a lot to pay and if looking to overall cost, it will not be economical.  However, since when is owning a car in Singapore economic and there are many who pays a lot more into conti, performance etc. beyond economics.

Cheers.

It depends if the engine and ECU mapping is designed to take advantage of that increased octane. Most of the time it makes little difference.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Macrosszero said:

It depends if the engine and ECU mapping is designed to take advantage of that increased octane. Most of the time it makes little difference.

Sure but difference still there even stock and just drive and you will know .. like OP had experienced. Run in dun happen with change of a tank of different fuel.

Worthwhile or not is another question and my stock forester xf 100% on oct98 cos same experience and engine possibly cleaner also ? 🤣

22 minutes ago, richard_crl032 said:

Sure but difference still there even stock and just drive and you will know .. like OP had experienced. Run in dun happen with change of a tank of different fuel.

Worthwhile or not is another question and my stock forester xf 100% on oct98 cos same experience and engine possibly cleaner also ? 🤣

It works when it’s quantifiable - whether increased fuel efficiency or horsepower.

“Feeling” smoother or more eager is more like believing your coffee tastes nicer because it is served in a fancier cup.

• Haha! 2

If an engine is designed to run on 98, and you use 95, then the anti-knock sensors will retard the ignition timing and dial down the power output to protect the engine from harmful pre-ignition. But using 98 when your engine is tuned to accept 95 will make little difference. Even if there was a difference, you would need a butt made of gyroscope to feel it perhaps? Definitely not "night and day" as described.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2