MAZDA 6

Voxy28

I would like to retract my earlier comment about Android Auto being not worth it. I was messing with it today, and realised I now have a Google Home in my car. I know that my phone can literally do the same thing, but I usually switch off Google Assistant on my phone. And it just feels so different to say "Hey Google, switch on my porch light" or  "Hey google, broadcast all - Don't sleep yet! I have a trunk load of MSW on the way home!" to the car instead.

This makes navigation and changing entertainment settings completely handsfree now. Going home is just a "Hey google, navigate home" away.

On a different matter, anyone knows where to get the Amon seals? I would like to do some DIY sealing of the car doors some time soon.

↡ Advertisement

On 7/6/2021 at 11:05 PM, richard_crl032 said:

Hi woh,

Takes a lot to have obvious improvement and not only typical stp into wheel wall, doors etc.

Tried redwind inserts into door rubber tubings for my mazda 6 as wind noise is a bit loud to no significant improvement and there always road noise, tyre noise and engine noise.

For my much quieter forester, it was:

- 3 layer on floor, 4 layers in front door, rear boot, tyre wheel, forester under carriage cover etc.for road noise and engine noise ... very heavy !

- redwind for wind noise

- autofoam for road noise

- 20 pcs of 3M thinsulate into dashboard for engines

- other various bits e.g. foam into front side panel like s class and 7 series 😅

Note that as you quiet down any of the above noise source, the others standout and becomes more obvious. Hence I had to go all the way and as it is, the engine noise is already not like mazda as it is much more powerful and not stressed even if pushed a bit.

Hope this helps and cheers.

Richard

I would want to believe that drivetrain quietness and insulation from wind/road noise is "designed" into the car from the onset. The chassis, suspension, body cavities, thickness of panels, acoustic harmonics, etc, all contribute to vibrations (which becomes noise). All these are optimised bearing in mind car manufacturer has to strike a balance with costs, manufacturing ease and maintainability.

Slapping on tonnes of aftermarket soundproofing, to the detriment of weight and FC, can only help to a certain degree, maybe 2db at max. Don't expect radical improvements - its not gonna be as quiet as a Rolls Royce Ghost anytime soon. 🙂

And @richard_crl032is right, it needs to be a balanced effort else 1 noise source will become more prominent and disturbing.

• Praise 2

On 7/8/2021 at 11:02 PM, arataka said:

On a different matter, anyone knows where to get the Amon seals? I would like to do some DIY sealing of the car doors some time soon.

Hi Arataka,

Not sure if it is helpful but I get mine from Yahoo! Japan Auction via Sendico.

Just ensure you dun get stupid like me to get stickers that is supposed to damp contact points with closing doors, tailgate, bonnet etc. and help to further quiet down your car ... you can get them foc from me 🤣

Cheers.

Richard

• Praise 1

Twincharged
On 7/9/2021 at 11:52 AM, Toeknee_33 said:

I would want to believe that drivetrain quietness and insulation from wind/road noise is "designed" into the car from the onset. The chassis, suspension, body cavities, thickness of panels, acoustic harmonics, etc, all contribute to vibrations (which becomes noise). All these are optimised bearing in mind car manufacturer has to strike a balance with costs, manufacturing ease and maintainability.

Slapping on tonnes of aftermarket soundproofing, to the detriment of weight and FC, can only help to a certain degree, maybe 2db at max. Don't expect radical improvements - its not gonna be as quiet as a Rolls Royce Ghost anytime soon. 🙂

And @richard_crl032is right, it needs to be a balanced effort else 1 noise source will become more prominent and disturbing.

My opinion with after market sound proofing is too many people use too much sound deadening material. I mean the bituminous sticky sheets that people paste all over. Actually if you look at the sheet makers advice it is to only to cover 50% of the area to mass load it to cut vibrations. These sheets do not actually block noise. Using sheets and sheets like what local audio shops do, only add weight to the car and to the bill they charge. 
sticking these bituminous sheets to the doors are mainly to damp the vibrations for sound systems. A small sheet on the door skin to dampen the vibration and a sheet to replace the plastic waterproof sheet in order to create a sound box. Then if the door card allows, some 3M thinsulate to semi fill the cavity and block a little bit of noise. 
the material that blocks and absorbs noise is the closed foam cell. A full sheet covering the floor and boot of the car does wonders. 

• Praise 2

On 7/5/2021 at 10:40 PM, norispurs said:

Hi guys, I'm currently shopping for a preowned Mazda 6 2.0 FL (MY 2018 onwards) and deciding between the Standard and Executive versions. So glad to see a wealth of information in this thread!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the differences are mainly down to LED headlights, Bose sound system, additional safety features and HUD. Annual depreciation for Executive versions are asking between $800 - >$1k more than the standard ones.

Not sure if the added premium is worth more - am inclined to save the couple of thousand bucks, but would love to hear insights from current owners!

Thanks!

See if the OMV is any different between the two variants. From the sounds of it these are built-in items from factory and not locally-fitted, if you like and can justify the price difference then go for it. Don’t buy the base model then later go outside workshop add keyless entry, Carplay/Android Auto and it’s back to square one in terms of money spent.

• Praise 3

Neutral Newbie
On 7/11/2021 at 10:20 AM, Macrosszero said:

See if the OMV is any different between the two variants. From the sounds of it these are built-in items from factory and not locally-fitted, if you like and can justify the price difference then go for it. Don’t buy the base model then later go outside workshop add keyless entry, Carplay/Android Auto and it’s back to square one in terms of money spent.

@Macrosszero Thanks for the feedback! Still shopping around, but I think I'm inclined to get the Exec version, since all the added bells and whistles are factory fitted (and factored into OMV).

Hope to snag up a good deal, if possible =D

Neutral Newbie

Hi everyone! I just bought a 2nd hand Mazda 6 2.5 (2016)

can I know what I need to check before I collect my car? Need some advice please from all the seniors here! Thanks!!

6 hours ago, Snagguy said:

Hi everyone! I just bought a 2nd hand Mazda 6 2.5 (2016)

can I know what I need to check before I collect my car? Need some advice please from all the seniors here! Thanks!!

See Mirrors can fold.?Have Suspension Sound.?How old is the Battery.?What is the mileage.?

Neutral Newbie

@ER-3682 thanks for the advice!

the car is at 93300 mileage actually.. didn’t hear much sound for the suspension though.. 

will check out the side mirror and battery! Is there any reputable workshop in the west that I can visit? Hahhaa

Edited by Snagguy

3 hours ago, Snagguy said:

@ER-3682 thanks for the advice!

the car is at 93300 mileage actually.. didn’t hear much sound for the suspension though.. 

will check out the side mirror and battery! Is there any reputable workshop in the west that I can visit? Hahhaa

Go Central Sin Ming..KHY.Motor...my Chat Group..alot go there..93,000 beware i-Eloop Spoil..mine Spoil at 100,000km.

Neutral Newbie
4 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

Go Central Sin Ming..KHY.Motor...my Chat Group..alot go there..93,000 beware i-Eloop Spoil..mine Spoil at 100,000km.

Wa.. what is I-eloop and would u be able to help advice how to know if it’s spoilt?

Neutral Newbie
7 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

And got group chat? Able to let me join? 🙂

23 minutes ago, Snagguy said:

Wa.. what is I-eloop and would u be able to help advice how to know if it’s spoilt?

Zhun boh? You dunno it is Mazda's voltage stabilizer? Here, watch this video.

Neutral Newbie
46 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Zhun boh? You dunno it is Mazda's voltage stabilizer? Here, watch this video.

thanks a lot for sharing this video! But how will I know if it’s spoilt or going to spoil? Is there any indicator or symptoms during driving that will show this?

1 hour ago, Snagguy said:

Will have Warning Message.

1 hour ago, Snagguy said:

And got group chat? Able to let me join? 🙂

Can..PM me..if you can stand 600++ Messages a Day.

Hi all Mazda 6 owners, which year model you think is the best? And which year model has the most problems? 

↡ Advertisement