MAZDA 6

Voxy28

Thanks Richard for the clarification cause i got my exec model because of the understanding that the std did not have, and i was quite a fan of the HUD. 

Thought i read wrongly and the standard model had the HUD, then could have gotten that at a better price.. your price was fantastic for the std model.

Like what Richard posted, the Mz6 Executive does have a bevy of features that really give some of the lower-end contis a good run for their money, even outclassing some of them.

So it really depends on what you want/ need.

If you want a solid, well-built family sedan for point A to point B, without bells and whistles and you are supremely confident in your driving skill, then the Mz6 Standard is hard to beat in terms of value for money.

You will then need to think if the 8k top-up is worth it for the features you'll be getting. In my humble opinion, it is definitely worth it.

• Praise 3

Like what Richard posted, the Mz6 Executive does have a bevy of features that really give some of the lower-end contis a good run for their money, even outclassing some of them.

If you want a solid, well-built family sedan for point A to point B, without bells and whistles and you are supremely confident in your driving skill, then the Mz6 Standard is hard to beat in terms of value for money.

You will then need to think if the 8k top-up is worth it for the features you'll be getting. In my humble opinion, it is definitely worth it.

Yup, i tink the Heads up display actually renders the rest of the entire dashboard as non-essential as i hardly need to look at it anymore. So it doesnt matter that the dashboard is dated looking and still not digital and still has the analog dials and all that, because i just bother about the km/h on the HUD.

This is coming from a civic driver when it first changed to the numerical display instead of the usual analog speed indicator which was cool at that time.

Of course if you want to go all way, seems like the merc a class is starting to get a totally digital dashboard that can even display the map and all that at a top up of about 40 k.....

• Praise 1

What is low end conti? What are the features that they don't have?

Disable start-stop is very common. But so far, it's the first time I heard that it will not always work after the tweak is done. You call that good ah?

• Praise 1

Disable start-stop is very common. But so far, it's the first time I heard that it will not always work after the tweak is done. You call that good ah?

Low-end conti?

Not difficult, just look at a comparable conti model within the same segment (i.e large family sedan) that costs about the same as the Mazda 6 Executive. If you can't, go down 1 segment (i.e small family sedan), if you still cannot, go down 1 more segment (compact sedan) e.g Audi A3, Mercedes A/ B class. That's what a low-end conti is.

Good luck getting the same features without checking a multitude of "options" on a list that's about the length of your arm.

If you do, let us know what the final price will be.

Last I checked, the HUD is a $6400 option on an Audi, and a $4700 option on a Mercedes Benz, and the "cheaper" conti makes (i.e SEAT, Citroen, Renault, Opel, etc), don't make large family sedans anymore (perhaps with the exception of Skoda and VW), opting instead for wagons or SUVs.

Even then, at their price-points, they cost more than a Mz6 Executive and don't have as many safety features (in particular autonomous braking).

Edited by DK3410

Hi Lammy,

A3 and Q2 would be 2 lower end contis.

They have no BSM, Lane Departure Alerts, Assisted Emergency Braking, Rear Pedestrians Alert, walk away door lock etc. and the HUD that shows all the mentioned safety and convenience features which mazda 2.0 executive have.  For their optional virtual cockpit, is was a cool 7k upgrade but Audi and equivalent are known to command premium for added features beyond their lowest offering.

Cheers,

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

Hi Lammy,

They have no BSM, Lane Departure Alerts, Assisted Emergency Braking, Rear Pedestrians Alert, walk away door lock etc. and the HUD that shows all the mentioned safety and convenience features which mazda 2.0 executive have. For their optional virtual cockpit, is was a cool 7k upgrade but Audi and equivalent are known to command premium for added features beyond their lowest offering.

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Richard, thanks for the clarification.

Must say that you do understand your car. Some of the safety features like front collision emergency braking and lane assist are really lacking in the basic models because it requires more than just sensors. But others like BSM and rear collision alert, I think most models are slowly incorporating them as standard.

As for HUD, not a fan, and I hope the day won't come where everything is on my windscreen.

Whereas features like walk away door lock, I think conti cars have more interesting door locking methods (eg, auto lock when door closed) which are not new by the way. Other common clever features like auto rain closing, cornering fogs, comfort signal blink, reversing mirror tilt are also missing in many non conti rides.

I love the looks of a Mazda 6 honestly but once I get into its cabin, I get the feeling of being cheated that it's supposed to be a spacious and luxurious (or executive) sedan. But it explains its price.

• Praise 1

Must say that you do understand your car. Some of the safety features like front collision emergency braking and lane assist are really lacking in the basic models because it requires more than just sensors. But others like BSM and rear collision alert, I think most models are slowly incorporating them as standard.

As for HUD, not a fan, and I hope the day won't come where everything is on my windscreen.

Whereas features like walk away door lock, I think conti cars have more interesting door locking methods (eg, auto lock when door closed) which are not new by the way. Other common clever features like auto rain closing, cornering fogs, comfort signal blink, reversing mirror tilt are also missing in many non conti rides.

I love the looks of a Mazda 6 honestly but once I get into its cabin, I get the feeling of being cheated that it's supposed to be a spacious and luxurious (or executive) sedan. But it explains its price.

Hi Lammy,

Oh no .. been changing few cars these last 3 yrs, joined some car groups and spent quite a bit of time here to learn while googling for info nia.

I am not impressed with those taobao HUD with plastic mirror or silver film on windscreen but the hidden HUD with mentioned bsm, lane departure, road speed limits etc. and nav with lane guidance is really cool and safe if you had not tried it.

Indeed hiend conti has many unique and to die for gadgets from this gadgetries addict but nice that vfm mazda 6 executive has those functional ones.

I am surprised that you find the interior of mazda executive wanting, it the only car after test drive volvo v40, audi a3/Q2, toyota Harrier Turbo, subaru impreza, honda civic 1.6, mitsubishi eclipse etc. that I felt bad going back to my forester xt ... simple and neat with soft leather .. just look at the classy horizontal door handles that blends with the trimming :)

Cheers.

Richard

Hi Chi

Sorry to say but wun work .. the P.O. sealed the deal and any more will be down to your SE since it will be out of his pocket ... not eurokar who dun care and leave it to their SE to manage his commission.

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by BabyBlade
  • Praise 2

Low-end conti?

Not difficult, just look at a comparable conti model within the same segment (i.e large family sedan) that costs about the same as the Mazda 6 Executive. If you can't, go down 1 segment (i.e small family sedan), if you still cannot, go down 1 more segment (compact sedan) e.g Audi A3, Mercedes A/ B class. That's what a low-end conti is.

Good luck getting the same features without checking a multitude of "options" on a list that's about the length of your arm.

If you do, let us know what the final price will be.

Last I checked, the HUD is a $6400 option on an Audi, and a $4700 option on a Mercedes Benz, and the "cheaper" conti makes (i.e SEAT, Citroen, Renault, Opel, etc), don't make large family sedans anymore (perhaps with the exception of Skoda and VW), opting instead for wagons or SUVs.

Even then, at their price-points, they cost more than a Mz6 Executive and don't have as many safety features (in particular autonomous braking).

It's about the badge, not how many features in the car

Most of those features are present on my 2.0 L Sonata VIII - auto wipers, cornering lights (called static bending lights on my car), one-touch signal with adjustable number of blinks, wing mirrors tilt when reversing... only don't have walkaway door locking... my Dad's Renault Fluence which hardly a high-end car has that... but doesn't have cornering lights, and wing mirror tilting when reversing... I think a lot depends on the ADs... certainly in Europe or US, most car brands have all these gadgets already... you just need to opt for higher trim levels...

Most of those features are present on my 2.0 L Sonata VIII - auto wipers, cornering lights (called static bending lights on my car), one-touch signal with adjustable number of blinks, wing mirrors tilt when reversing... only don't have walkaway door locking... my Dad's Renault Fluence which hardly a high-end car has that... but doesn't have cornering lights, and wing mirror tilting when reversing... I think a lot depends on the ADs... certainly in Europe or US, most car brands have all these gadgets already... you just need to opt for higher trim levels...

Agree.

Also must see if the features will be useful...

A good example is the Adaptive LED Headlights (ALH) on the Mz6 2.5 Luxury.

It's damn good on paper...

But in reality, if you don't drive to areas with dim street lighting or with light traffic, ALH hardly ever gets activated.

The ones that I consider really good to have are the active safety features such as autonomous braking (Mazda calls it Smart City Brake), blind spot sensing (in conjunction with rear cross traffic alert), and of course, the ever-useful radar cruise control.

• Praise 1

Yes I do know some high end korean and jap makes have such features (btw I was referring to auto rain closing windows, not wipers) but even low end contis (higher trims as mentioned) have them. Lower trims may need software tweaking, but if it can be tweaked, it's capable.

Useful or not is subjective. Adaptive headlights are useful and good ones will be seamless you won't even noticed it activated as you drive. Proven safety feature like airbags (min 6.) is a must, others I just hope others have them all and they work.

Mazda 6 is a great looking and vfm car, that's about it, but not to the point it outclasses, that's my point.

Cheers

Hi Lammy,

They have no BSM, Lane Departure Alerts, Assisted Emergency Braking, Rear Pedestrians Alert, walk away door lock etc. and the HUD that shows all the mentioned safety and convenience features which mazda 2.0 executive have.  For their optional virtual cockpit, is was a cool 7k upgrade but Audi and equivalent are known to command premium for added features beyond their lowest offering.

Cheers,

Richard

not forgetting they are 1.0 engine as well..

Yes I do know some high end korean and jap makes have such features (btw I was referring to auto rain closing windows, not wipers) but even low end contis (higher trims as mentioned) have them. Lower trims may need software tweaking, but if it can be tweaked, it's capable.

Useful or not is subjective. Adaptive headlights are useful and good ones will be seamless you won't even noticed it activated as you drive. Proven safety feature like airbags (min 6.) is a must, others I just hope others have them all and they work.

Mazda 6 is a great looking and vfm car, that's about it, but not to the point it outclasses, that's my point.

Cheers

I like the tech that goes into the 2.5 turbo. ..

waiting to see the ActivX 2.0 engine. 

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

not forgetting they are 1.0 engine as well..

I like the tech that goes into the 2.5 turbo. ..

waiting to see the ActivX 2.0 engine.

Hi Sdf,

Indeed but I also went back to test drove the 1.4 version since no brainer at just sgd5k more ... better pick up than the 1.0 version of course but all else the same.

Q2 really cmi with its noisy, stiff and bumpy ride .. much worse than forester with A3 being betta

Cheers.

Richard

Edited by richard_crl032

Hi Sdf,

Indeed but I also went back to test drove the 1.4 version since no brainer at just sgd5k more ... better pick up than the 1.0 version of course but all else the same.

Q2 really cmi with its noisy, stiff and bumpy ride .. much worse than forester with A3 being betta

Cheers.

Richard

I'll pick up the 1.4 turbo at a drop of a hat over the 1.0 turbo... the engine is going to last longer just because it's not worked so hard consistently... 1.0 turbo is much to small for the size of an A3...
  • Praise 1

Hi Sdf,

Cheers.

Richard

I'm an audi fan but i agree, Q2 is just bad. Q2 and A1 stick out like a sore thumb

• Praise 1

Hi Sdf,

Cheers.

Richard

People buying the audi badge lo, even Q2 cannot make it?! Lol.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1