Electric Toothbrush

Vextan

What is oil pulling?

Send in the warranty card, keep your copy and the receipt. You will need it.  I bought one, broke down within a year. Philips gave me a new one. Another 9 months later, second one also broke. This time warranty over, and cost to repair as good as buy new one. It was good while it worked though.

Nowadays, I am back to low end manual toothbrush, flossing, and oil-pulling with extra virgin coconut oil. Oil pulling is highly recommended to battle under gum bacteria.   

↡ Advertisement

Send in the warranty card, keep your copy and the receipt. You will need it. I bought one, broke down within a year. Philips gave me a new one. Another 9 months later, second one also broke. This time warranty over, and cost to repair as good as buy new one. It was good while it worked though.

Nowadays, I am back to low end manual toothbrush, flossing, and oil-pulling with extra virgin coconut oil. Oil pulling is highly recommended to battle under gum bacteria.

You are absolutely right. Very generous of you to share your experience.

The salesman told me most customers complain that it spoil within a year.

For me it is different. I hear good reviews here and from credible people like from a doctor here.

I have been using oral B because they always had been in the tooth business but not Philips. Then reading about the technology, no harm trying.

In addition, I am not paying retail price, I paid $183 plus after GST.

With all that in mind, I went ahead to buy.

I rationalized it is usually due to heat and overcharging or software trickle to keep toothbrush 100% charge all the time that leads to breakdown.

So after the first 24hours of fully charged, I turn off my bathroom switch for the toothbrush and will recharge I only if it hits less than 30% but will not charge up to 100%.

This I learnt from a professor in electrical engineering.

My oral B toothbrush is still working after several years. I SENT it to Tekong for the BMT guys to help them area cleaning.

So far the Philips feel better than the Oral B.

What is oil pulling?

One teaspoon of extra virgin coconut oil. Pull oil between the gaps in teeth one by one. Keep on repeating for 10-15 mins. Spit out into waste bin (not sink as it will clog drain).

Clear oil turns murky white from clear. Oil pulling has saved me much pain and paying dentists $$. I had under gum infection with pus after a brushing accident. Dentist say $500+ to cut open gums, clean, put antibiotic, sew back. I said give me a week. I went home and oil pulled daily. The swelling and infection went away in 5 days.    

• Praise 1

I find that it is easy to get complacent with electric toothbrush because the mouth feels good (teeth surfaces feel like it's been through a dentist polish each time) and the short amount of time required to achieve that.

It is important to make sure you are systematic in covering all the surface and hard to reach spots.

It is also very important to still do your flossing before ( prefer before) your electric toothbrushing as I see it like a car wash:

The flossing (jet wash gun) is used to remove the large debris from hard to reach surfaces and gaps before the electric toothbrush foams up the toothpaste to allow the toothpaste solution to reach these spots. Some like the sonicare with the interdental heads, are able to push the fluids in between each gaps and reach in better.

If you do flossing after the toothbrush, then the surface previously covered by the large food debris will not get washed and rinsed out with the toothpaste foam.

Of course if you add in mouth wash gargle after everything, that will be perfect.

For a few years I used an electric toothbrush, but my teeth was never as clean as I thought it would be - dentist always find something to fix. I switched back to conventional toothbrush and ever since then every dental check has been all-clear from my dentist.

I find that there are hard to reach places which the electric toothbrush may not reach, unless you use different types of brush heads. 

• Praise 3

yeah, tooth brush manual or electric is just a tool to achieve the result your desire.

Just like how some drives a manual transmission and swears by it while some prefer the convenience of an auto.

The most important is to understand your tool and get it to work for you and not the other way round.

I actually used mouth wash for many years, before I realise actually alcohol-based mouth wash leaves your mouth dry which can lead to bacteria growth. Now I stopped using it - although there are some non-alcohol based mouth wash.

Using suitable brush head(s) also quite important with electric toothbrush. Dentists use different types of brush head and water jet etc., but at home I find it too much of a hassle. It's like doing exercise, keep it simple and one can do it every day consistently. If you need more steps, then either one could be missing some steps, or one could be doing with less effort. Life is more than brushing teeth, so I decided to keep it simple and to my surprise, my dentist gave me all-clear thumbs up. I haven't done any fillings for years since I switched back to manual toothbrush.

Flossing is a must by any means. No brush can reach in between the teeth and gums. 

Send in the warranty card, keep your copy and the receipt. You will need it. I bought one, broke down within a year. Philips gave me a new one. Another 9 months later, second one also broke. This time warranty over, and cost to repair as good as buy new one. It was good while it worked though.

My Oral B lasts me years. Ok... Not switching over to Philip then. Thanks for the sharing.

yeah, tooth brush manual or electric is just a tool to achieve the result your desire.

Just like how some drives a manual transmission and swears by it while some prefer the convenience of an auto.

The most important is to understand your tool and get it to work for you and not the other way round.

Totally agree!

One teaspoon of extra virgin coconut oil. Pull oil between the gaps in teeth one by one. Keep on repeating for 10-15 mins. Spit out into waste bin (not sink as it will clog drain).

Clear oil turns murky white from clear. Oil pulling has saved me much pain and paying dentists $$. I had under gum infection with pus after a brushing accident. Dentist say $500+ to cut open gums, clean, put antibiotic, sew back. I said give me a week. I went home and oil pulled daily. The swelling and infection went away in 5 days.

I am worried for you. Brush teeth cannot be like wash car.
  • Praise 1

My Oral B lasts me years. Ok... Not switching over to Philip then. Thanks for the sharing.

Oral B also lasted a long time for me. But one or two did eventually broke due to the switch.

But then the Oral B is only about $20 or less, bought from Amazon.

The price of the toothbrush head is more of a killer, but then I use compatibles which reduce the cost drastically.

Been thinking about Philips Sonicare too, but maybe it's more "advanced" , work harder and die faster. [laugh]

one thing that pisses me off about oral b is that it used ni-mh batteries instead of li-ion.

what about philips? I'm also hesitant about philps because I've had poor exp with their brand.

I consider electric toothbrush as semi-consumables, disposables, maybe around 1~2 yrs

So I'm unlikely to pay over $50 for one, and rather choose those with removable batteries, than over $100+ with built-in rechargeable batteries.

It must not cost a lot more to use than manual toothbrush, say over a year.

• Praise 1

https://toothbrushbattery.com/guides/philips-sonicare-diamondclean-hx9340-battery-replacement/

so far from what I gather, sonicare are Li-ion (at least for their upper range models)

one thing that pisses me off about oral b is that it used ni-mh batteries instead of li-ion.

what about philips? I'm also hesitant about philps because I've had poor exp with their brand.

hahaah.... I got a panasonic nose trimmer .......damn... think we need to start a nose trimmer thread :D

Exactly, use something that works better for you. Though, I wouldn't compare it with AT/MT. It's more like polishing with an electric orbital polisher vs. by hand. Same problem with polishing certain corners, where one still need to use hand and not machine. But the time and effort required in brushing teeth manually is insignificant compared with polishing a car.

I would, however, recommend everyone (older men) getting an electric nose trimmer. Too many men in SG don't trim their nose hair. [laugh] [laugh] And not exactly easy to trim easily with scissors.

• Praise 2

hahaah.... I got a panasonic nose trimmer .......damn... think we need to start a nose trimmer thread :D

Lol! Sarpork! My old Braun one just died. Time to look around. [laugh]
  • Praise 1

I just stick my fingers into my nostrils and pluck out whatever I can.