Electric Toothbrush

Vextan

For me I didn't even brush my teeth daily until I was middle aged.  And I paid for it with fillings and removals.

Dunno what friends thought about my breath.

But now I brush daily, not twice daily, and use inter dental brushes which remove a lot of food from between my teeth but then I also use power flosser and am always amazed by how much extra food it removes after inter dental.

I don't manual floss any more.

↡ Advertisement

For me I didn't even brush my teeth daily until I was middle aged. And I paid for it with fillings and removals.

But now I brush daily, not twice daily, and use inter dental brushes which remove a lot of food from between my teeth but then I also use power flosser and am always amazed by how much extra food it removes after inter dental.

My son will pay the same price!

I buy him power toothbrush toothpaste

Don’t want to brush

Can’t help it

beside flossing, one must always scrape the tongue thoroughly to remove all layers of the day element especially even the sides of it.

A plastic scraper will be good if not the normal fine bristle toothbrush may helps. Mouth cleanliness depends very much on the tongue and flossing. You will feel the freshness in the morning!!!!

My son will pay the same price!

I buy him power toothbrush toothpaste

Don’t want to brush

Can’t help it

We all went through a "cant see the consequences" phase.

I didn't brush my teeth at night for 1 year during my sec school. 

Then after leaving school, never saw dentist until i graduated. Then promptly told i got 2 cavities needed filling. From then on, guai guai see dentist at least once a year or every 7-8 months  [laugh]

For me I didn't even brush my teeth daily until I was middle aged.  And I paid for it with fillings and removals.

my teeth are a bit crowded at some places, so even manual flossing can be tough. Sometimes the dentist do for me also struggle a bit.

So inter-dental brushes and water flosser don't work well for me.

Edited by Lala81

Actually diet is an important part of healthy teeth which is often neglected. Especially growing up.

One major reason why we get crooked teeth is because we are eating processed food. Whereas our ancestors tended to chew a lot and eat things that aren't so easily digestible with lots of fibre.

But it's balanced by sometimes having cracked teeth.

Adding a tougher fibrous fruits or vegetables which require some chewing is good. For example, whole apples would be good.  

Turbocharged

i use a combination of 3.

daily brush twice using electric toothbrush

manual floss after every meal

water floss weekly.

water floss is more effective in getting rid of stuff stuck in weird nooks and crevices between teeth and gum line.

if water floss irritate you too much, try the air floss by philips

• Praise 1

We all went through a "cant see the consequences" phase.

I didn't brush my teeth at night for 1 year during my sec school. 

Then after leaving school, never saw dentist until i graduated. Then promptly told i got 2 cavities needed filling. From then on, guai guai see dentist at least once a year or every 7-8 months  [laugh]

my teeth are a bit crowded at some places, so even manual flossing can be tough. Sometimes the dentist do for me also struggle a bit.

So inter-dental brushes and water flosser don't work well for me.

Yeah but you are young.

Wait till you get older, your gums recede and big gaps occur between your teeth and food gets stuck in those gaps.

Then you'll remember my wise, wise words. -_-

I read that you have been using oral-B?

might want to try Philips Sonicare range. 

I have used the rotary type (oral -B) before and it is alot of rotary movements around the teeth and especially near the gumline. It might be the cause of repeated trauma to the gumline which is same as hard brushing?

The microvibrations of the Sonicare range might be gentler for the gums as it does not push against the gumline that hard relatively speaking.

My gums still keep atrophying. Quite disturbed by this. Not sure is it due to residual effect from my treatment earlier this year.

Before this year, I've never had gum atrophy though of course i had only basic dental hygiene habits. 

I've always brushed twice a day and see dentist almost twice yearly for quite a while. Though flossing is always been my weakest link in terms of good dental hygiene habits.

Since late July,

- already swapped to the higher end toothbrush

- changed my brushing technique to avoid over-brushing and spend enough time on each quadrant

- started using Listerine nightly

I consume some sugary things but definitely not a large consumer. Going to try cut some of it out from my diet.

I'm going to start flossing regularly at least nightly. Increase the mouthwash to morning as well.

As usual with many humans, only last minute then start to grab Buddha's foot  [:/]

Going to see Dentist soon. 

ARGH.

I read that you have been using oral-B?

might want to try Philips Sonicare range.

I have used the rotary type (oral -B) before and it is alot of rotary movements around the teeth and especially near the gumline. It might be the cause of repeated trauma to the gumline which is same as hard brushing?

The microvibrations of the Sonicare range might be gentler for the gums as it does not push against the gumline that hard relatively speaking.

Saw the dentist.

She says it's more of tartar buildup due to not flossing. My front lower teeth are too crowded. Dentist says no amount of brushing will help.

So it's floss bd for 6 months and she will review again.

Maybe I buy a sonic care and try.

There is a blue model and a pink model sonic care.

I bought the blue model in UK and it kept failing (as I think I've said up thread.)

Anyway had the pink sonic care for maybe two years now and it still works perfectly.

There is a blue model and a pink model sonic care.

I bought the blue model in UK and it kept failing (as I think I've said up thread.)

Anyway had the pink sonic care for maybe two years now and it still works perfectly.

Oops, I was referring to sonic care power flosser not sonic care toothbrush

not scientific but interesting Edited by Neutrino

yeah, just get an entry level one to try.

I find it better than oral-B, gentler on the gums and able to reach the deep-set partially-erupted wisdom teeth behind my molars. Those areas are tough to clean out even with the rotary brush heads of the oral-Bs. For the sonicare, as long as you can push the bristles into the hole, the microvibrations will do all the work.

s-l640.png

you see those bristles are undulating in height and the tip usually pointed. This allows the bristles to reach deeper into the gaps for a deeper clean with the microvibrations.

Saw the dentist.
She says it's more of tartar buildup due to not flossing. My front lower teeth are too crowded. Dentist says no amount of brushing will help.

• Praise 2

Saw the dentist.

I've been using Oral B for many years, granted it's a low end model.

But after I bought Sonicare, the difference is night and day

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GVMVRH/

and also this 3rd party replacement, fits and works just as well

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Toothbrush-Compact-Sonicare-ProtectiveClean/dp/B07J4V52QR/

If you want to buy, buy both at the same time to save on shipping.

Locally, I saw a sonicare elite+ much cheaper at $40, but I dunno the spec, but I suspect it's not as good as the Amazon one.

Look for the high speed motor with lithium battery. I think it's the best at the moment.

• Praise 4

For me I didn't even brush my teeth daily until I was middle aged. And I paid for it with fillings and removals.

Brush once a day? I do it 3x a day, morning, after lunch and at night.

What is necessary to maintain dental health? Was told 3x is too much but I hate to have bad breath.

• Praise 1

I only have one partially erupted wisdom tooth, the others are all impacted below gumline. I physically use my finger to dig every evening to clear stuck food particles. Cos even regular toothbrush also hard to reach.

I've used water flosser on that area before but it caused my gum to become inflammed. So i use my finger to dig it. So far no issues for the last few years.

yeah, just get an entry level one to try.

I find it better than oral-B, gentler on the gums and able to reach the deep-set partially-erupted wisdom teeth behind my molars. Those areas are tough to clean out even with the rotary brush heads of the oral-Bs. For the sonicare, as long as you can push the bristles into the hole, the microvibrations will do all the work.

you see those bristles are undulating in height and the tip usually pointed. This allows the bristles to reach deeper into the gaps for a deeper clean with the microvibrations.

I've ordered a sonicare toothbrush from amazon + soft bristles head. Waiting for it to arrive in september.

I've been reading about the differences between sonicare and oral B the higher end series.

Basically oral B is better at cleaning the surfaces of the tooth itself, Sonicare is better at dislodging plaque off the gums.

But whichever toothbrush u use, the most important is still regular brushing + flossing.

I've been using Oral B for many years, granted it's a low end model.

But after I bought Sonicare, the difference is night and day

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GVMVRH/

and also this 3rd party replacement, fits and works just as well

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Toothbrush-Compact-Sonicare-ProtectiveClean/dp/B07J4V52QR/

If you want to buy, buy both at the same time to save on shipping.

Locally, I saw a sonicare elite+ much cheaper at $40, but I dunno the spec, but I suspect it's not as good as the Amazon one.

Look for the high speed motor with lithium battery. I think it's the best at the moment.

The oral B lower end vs the higher end is quite different also. 

I bought the same toothbrush as u but in white. I bought a different replacement brush head cos i want soft bristles which my dentist also recommended.

Coming in about 20 days.

Brush once a day? I do it 3x a day, morning, after lunch and at night.

What is necessary to maintain dental health? Was told 3x is too much but I hate to have bad breath.

tooth decay/gum loss is irreversible.

And i see all the problems my parents have with their teeth even though they took reasonable care for the last 30+ years. Just the dentures and gum issues are quite annoying even though their teeth is considered not bad for their age.

• Praise 3

Sonicare arrived. Used it tonight. 

My subjective opinion is that u feel cleaner with the oral b. But since I have both. I will just use both for now. One for am. One for pm. Lol... 

rps20190827_001617.jpg

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Sonicare arrived. Used it tonight. 

My subjective opinion is that u feel cleaner with the oral b. But since I have both. I will just use both for now. One for am. One for pm. Lol... 

rps20190827_001617.jpg

FYI, the philips, diamond series H9XXX or H8XXX series  is a lot more powerful than the ordinary H6XXX, 5XXX, 4XXX series.  

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Ender said:

FYI, the philips, diamond series H9XXX or H8XXX series  is a lot more powerful than the ordinary H6XXX, 5XXX, 4XXX series.  

Maybe. But the pricing is also ridiculous lah.

Its 4 times the cost of this midrange one or the oral b one. U might as well spend the extra money going to dentist twice a year regularly. 

• Haha! 1

I would like to share my experience using the sonicare 9924, which complements my long time use of the braun oral b pro 9000. Long story short, I had been using the oral b 8000/9000 for the longest time, unfortunately i do not pair it up with a proper dentist visit.

So one day i got my oral hygiene assessed and it was very poor, did a deep clean, and got it back into a little more shape. But once bone loss sets in from advance periodontal disease, there is no reversing the effects, the only thing I can do is improve, and maintain a higher level of care. My recommendations forward is if you have not seen your dentist in the longest time, please get it done, before it is too late.

I will not go into the no amount of brushing, and flossing will remove tartar crap, because that is a proven fact, i am one living example, and had totally regret it.

Back to the brushes, I own the above 2 brushes currently, and use primarily the sonicare now. Only swap back to the 9000 when I forgot to charge the battery on the sonicare. It is true, the sonicare brush heads reach the deepest places because of its shape. I have my 4 wisdom tooth erupted, and unplucked, the bottom ones are submerged just above the gumline. Of course my dentist has always recommended I get them removed, but I am reluctant, after I got one permanent left molar removed because excessive bone loss had set in and loosened it.

The sonicare is gentle and cleans effectively. The 9000 cleans equally effectively but in a more mechanical way. Cost wise, the sonicare bristle refills are a little expensive for a pack of 3, but they can really be used longer than beyond the stated usage periods, regardless your brush warns you to change or not. Oral B refills are cheaper, but I do not recommend you get the fake ones from Qoo10, they have a nasty habit of breaking into pieces, probably because the 4000 series and above are too powerful for fake ones. lol

Besides my more regular trips to the dentist, which the doctor has increased my intervals as she noticed maintenance has significantly improved my oral health. It is because i took to the regular use of the portable oral irrigator. This is a cheap device worth investing, model name is soocas W3, you can get it from Qoo10 for 40 bucks each, just the normal one will do. Use this after meals to flush out all the trapped food from between your teeth, and before brushing, very good for those who dunno how to floss properly, like me.

But fair bit of warning, it takes time to get use to, because the water jet can be quite powerful for some at the start. Start it off with the massage or soft jet function, and eventually your teeth and gums will get used to it. Now i go full strength, and absolutely no bleeding from the gums, sign that my gum health has improved after dental treatment and rigorous maintenance. Do not aim the jet at your tongue, it will hurt, like a blade trying to slice it off.

I will be glad to offer any advice anyone needs from my experience. But whatever you do, do not skip your dentist visit.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7
  • Shocked 1