Oprah gives away Beetles on her show

Karoon

fookin'ell.....

wat's sg's talk show? give matchbox i happy...

Tue, Nov 23, 2010

AsiaOne

Oprah gives 275 new VW Beetles to her audience

AMERICAN TV host Oprah Winfrey gave away 275 new Volkswagen (VW) Beetles as part of "Oprah's Favourite Things" promotion.

In a video clip of the show, the studio audience turned hysterical after she drove into the studio in a VW Beetle. Some were seen gasping while others were congratulating one another.

Oprah told the audience: "I happened to own one and it is one of my favourite things,"

The initially joyous atmosphere turned serious after Oprah added: "I wanted to give everyone one of these (VW Beetle) to you but VW said no."

Then Oprah revealed the twist.

"VW said no, 'Sorry Oprah, we cannot give everyone this Beetle but maybe we can do one better."

"They said we cannot give you this Beetle but how about if we give each person in your audience a brand-new, redesigned, 2012 Volkswagen Beetle?" she told her studio audience.

The new Beetle will not be revealed until May 2012 next year but Oprah gave her audience a sneak peek of the car's silhouette.

This is not the first time she has given away cars. In 2004, Winfrey gave 276 Pontiac G6 cars to her audience, a CNN report said.

VW as maker of sporty cars

According to a Wall Street Journal report, Volkswagen is using the show as a launching pad for its redesigned Beetle even though the car's sale date is a year away.

The introduction was part of the car maker's plan to raise the profile of the Beetle, along with the rest of its models, said the report.

It said the new Beetle was meant to strengthen the company's image as a maker of sporty cars with enough performance to attract enthusiasts and not just shoppers looking for something cute.

WSJ reported that VW will be donating 275 of the 2012 Beetles plus applicable taxes and fees.

pic5.jpg

pic7.jpg

↡ Advertisement

This is not the first time she has given, there are quite a few big ticket items before ....one of them was also a car.....and yes to everyone on the show... [thumbsup]

If SG host just shows.... Sure VW or other companys can give away free cars. But no ARF, no import duties, no COE etc..... They only give you a car (with the value equivalent to OMV). Then + hidden T&C like cannot sell for $$$ etc...

How many people can afford to pay cash for the COE, ARF and import duties?

Btw, cars are cheap oversea. But there are many hidden T&C when you get a car in such shows. Same thing like getting cars in game shows. Its not like you can just take the key and drive it away. Lots and lots of T&C and things to pay before you can drive it.

5 million for a prime time Free advertistment is CHEAP!!!!

I am sure there will be special conditions.

Like in house loans, and insurance.

So VW can recoup back some interests and $$$.

Singapore? Wait long long...

Wheel of Fortune - Compare the prizes in Singapore and USA....how different?!

Don't forget the lyrics - Sama Sama....prize money shrink...

Singapore Idol - Prize pocket shrink again...

Actually, when Singapore franchise the show in from USA, the prize money suddenly seem not so attractive afterall

↡ Advertisement