Thinking of buying MErc C180

Anshng

Thanks everyone

I did not book it after knowing all the terms and conditions. MAke it not really a very good deal. SHall wait and source for 2nd hand instead. Considering Volvo Xc90..heehe

↡ Advertisement

I think the C class is perfectly suited for yuppies, male or female, right up to the early 30s. And perhaps the tai tai, doing her daily rounds of high tea.

But I do feel older folks (maybe late 40s onwards) should steer clear of the C180/C200. Because if one drives it, it simply means you can't afford (even after working for more than 15 years) a better Merc.

I haven't seen a C180/C200 advertisment. But my guess is that the model in the advert is a relatively young looking chap.

Oh no .... I just got my C180 and I am in my early forties ... I would have to get rid of the car in a few years.

IMO, it depends on individual really. I never like big car and i have a small family (only 1 kid) and I have never consider/like a "big" car. I always prefer compact car as i find them to be more nimble.

COE are way too high now and I would not have changed if the COE price is at it's current level.

Cheers

You are right. There are different factors that appeal to different people when deciding to get a car.

Previously, I was also thinking of getting a Vespa, just to make short trips around the neighbourhood for makan, running errands. :D

Now, what was I thinking when I posted.

Oh no .... I just got my C180 and I am in my early forties ... I would have to get rid of the car in a few years.

IMO, it depends on individual really. I never like big car and i have a small family (only 1 kid) and I have never consider/like a "big" car. I always prefer compact car as i find them to be more nimble.

COE are way too high now and I would not have changed if the COE price is at it's current level.

Cheers

C180 is small car niah. Quite nimble also.

Maybe, what you want is a compact simple to maintain car. Nowadays, many cars including the small ones are loaded with too many electronic / electrical "goodies".

I switched off/bypass them as far as possible as I can - auto headlight, auto wipers, auto door lock, auto this auto that. :D

You are right. There are different factors that appeal to different people when deciding to get a car.

Previously, I was also thinking of getting a Vespa, just to make short trips around the neighbourhood for makan, running errands. :D

Now, what was I thinking when I posted.

[laugh] just for discussion and got nothing against the C class. I actually like the B class as a a practical car...

Best is to have a B-class and a E coupe for a family of 4. :wub:

But now... with COE 60k means in my dreams... [bigcry]

It does looks like C&C is not hungry for anymore numbers at this moment. They will fight with BMW for the 2nd best selling model in Singapore and Toyota will remain number 1 (including LEXUS- I think).

The promo now is more with the finance package and the cash rebate and 90 % ten years loan which IMO is LPPL. The last promo was for the "remarkable drive" when they sold more than 400 units in Sep and Oct.

I was at the showroom last week and I am surprise that they are still people buying despite the COE prices. It prove that prices is not such a critical issue for buying luxury items.

It does looks like C&C is not hungry for anymore numbers at this moment. They will fight with BMW for the 2nd best selling model in Singapore and Toyota will remain number 1 (including LEXUS- I think).

The promo now is more with the finance package and the cash rebate and 90 % ten years loan which IMO is LPPL. The last promo was for the "remarkable drive" when they sold more than 400 units in Sep and Oct.

I was at the showroom last week and I am surprise that they are still people buying despite the COE prices. It prove that prices is not such a critical issue for buying luxury items.

For the rich folks the ever escalating COE probably doesn't matter much.

But it definitely makes a difference to average Joes like me.

My guess is that the buyers are in the showroom cos their cars are expiring and at the prices now why buy Jap/Korean when you can get a Conti?

Luckily I still have 3 years to go on my civic before I must look for a new ride.

Touch wood...civic still going strong [:p]

Btw, congrats on your new C180.

Are you going to change your nick soon?

Merc6228? :D

I am just curious. The engine is just a pathetic 1.6L with a supercharger installed in order to push the output to a 2L equivalent. Its not even fast to begin with and its small.

So I don't know how to where the car stands. Luxury? Comfort? Speed? Or simply the badge.....

I am just curious. The engine is just a pathetic 1.6L with a supercharger installed in order to push the output to a 2L equivalent. Its not even fast to begin with and its small.

So I don't know how to where the car stands. Luxury? Comfort? Speed? Or simply the badge.....

I do not disagree with your comment and you can labelled me as a badge whore. I was driving the 320i and there are comments that a BMW has to be a IL6 and people driving the 320i/318i are badge whore. I am also not bothered by these comments as I know that these two brands are still the top 2 German brands. IMO, it drives better than most Japanese made.

Frankly, I don't think the 1.6L engine is pathetic, the overall package of the C180K is good enough. Of course, the C630 or the C300 would be my preferred choice but I admit that I cannot afford it and I am happy with the C180K.

I have owned two Civics in the past and I still remember the "pickup" and smoothness of my EK4. The nick is in remembrance of the WHITE BEAUTY and I will change it.

Edited by Civic6228

This one buy b class can get merc c class got catch one hor. You must get a very big car loan from C&C before you can get the promo. So, instead of giving you rebate for getting a big loan, they give you upgrade. Very smart move to entice buyers.

but then again, ppl who are looking at c class are those who are relatively rich, so huge loan or not shouldn't be an issue.

For e.g. if a guy comes in & can pay in full for B class, it might be better to take the loan to upgrade to a c class.

Even if he adds in the interest from taking the loan, it's still lower than paying in full for c class.

Next time, C class can sell higher as well.

I do not disagree with your comment and you can labelled me as a badge whore. I was driving the 320i and there are comments that a BMW has to be a IL6 and people driving the 320i/318i are badge whore. I am also not bothered by these comments as I know that these two brands are still the top 2 German brands. IMO, it drives better than most Japanese made.

Frankly, I don't think the 1.6L engine is pathetic, the overall package of the C180K is good enough. Of course, the C630 or the C300 would be my preferred choice but I admit that I cannot afford it and I am happy with the C180K.

I have owned two Civics in the past and I still remember the "pickup" and smoothness of my EK4. The nick is in remembrance of the WHITE BEAUTY and I will change it.

BMW is a slightly different case. But only applies to some BMWs. Cause the first M3 is a 4 potter and not 6 potter. The E30 M3 is still the most successful car in BMW's racing history. Then BMW continues to use 4 potters for racing even till today. Eg. S42 engine used in racing is a modified M42. There is also the N45B20S used in 320si (limited production).

I am still a fan of BMW even till today. I am not a badge whore but previously own an E36 318is and a E39 520i (both modded of course). The E36 is not a comfortable car in fact and its not exactly reliable too (skimp on maintenance and you die jialat jialat....). Its M42 engine is weak in stock form (though 140HP is still quite powerful for a 1.8L even by today's standards). My suspension is hard, its cabin space is super small. But its a great drivers car. With some mods, it can be made fast, nimble and fun to drive. IL6 may be smooth but I am not exactly interested. Cause what I want is outright power from the engine.

If I every have the chance, I would want to have the old E30 M3...... If not, the E30 318is. They are my favourites!

Btw, there is also one thing good (or bad) about old BMWs. Perhaps due to cutting cost or whatever, many of their cars share the same chassis except for different engine. thus you can have same gearbox and bolt on another engine with same mounting points (of course change ECU also). Chassis is the same even for their M3 models....lol..... so you can get a 318is and mod it into M3 with minimal cost.

Edited by Crazecow

in sg roads, most of us dun need the power, so as long as the car has decent power, it's alright as long as you get the badge & prestige of a premium brand. Anyway, I believe it performs better than a B&B car, right?

Impressions count more. To others, as long as it is a C class, who bothers whether it's a C180 or C200 or C230?

That's why we observe that most of the premium cars like BMW or Merc are the lower cc ones

eg C180, S300, E200, E230, BMW320, BMW520, BMW523 etc....

Edited by Redboy

I have to disagree with you on E9x 318/320 or E60 520 (LCI). Since E36, 4 potter on a 3 series has poor pwr-weight. It could not fully utilise its proper setup. The worse are those E9x 318 which is basically a detuned 2L.

On C180, the engine is coarse & unrefined.

BMW is a slightly different case. But only applies to some BMWs. Cause the first M3 is a 4 potter and not 6 potter. The E30 M3 is still the most successful car in BMW's racing history. Then BMW continues to use 4 potters for racing even till today. Eg. S42 engine used in racing is a modified M42. There is also the N45B20S used in 320si (limited production).

I am still a fan of BMW even till today. I am not a badge whore but previously own an E36 318is and a E39 520i (both modded of course). The E36 is not a comfortable car in fact and its not exactly reliable too (skimp on maintenance and you die jialat jialat....). Its M42 engine is weak in stock form (though 140HP is still quite powerful for a 1.8L even by today's standards). My suspension is hard, its cabin space is super small. But its a great drivers car. With some mods, it can be made fast, nimble and fun to drive. IL6 may be smooth but I am not exactly interested. Cause what I want is outright power from the engine.

If I every have the chance, I would want to have the old E30 M3...... If not, the E30 318is. They are my favourites!

Btw, there is also one thing good (or bad) about old BMWs. Perhaps due to cutting cost or whatever, many of their cars share the same chassis except for different engine. thus you can have same gearbox and bolt on another engine with same mounting points (of course change ECU also). Chassis is the same even for their M3 models....lol..... so you can get a 318is and mod it into M3 with minimal cost.

///M3 has mature from 4 pot to 6 pot. It has move on to 8 pot now.

4 pot N46 is different from 4 pot of ///M3. It is not comparable. The only modern engine that could compare with 4 pot ///M3 is N45B20S.

in sg roads, most of us dun need the power, so as long as the car has decent power, it's alright as long as you get the badge & prestige of a premium brand. Anyway, I believe it performs better than a B&B car, right?

Impressions count more. To others, as long as it is a C class, who bothers whether it's a C180 or C200 or C230?

That's why we observe that most of the premium cars like BMW or Merc are the lower cc ones

eg C180, S300, E200, E230, BMW320, BMW520, BMW523 etc....

U r wrong on that. It is a joke that car big big but engine small small.

I have to disagree with you on E9x 318/320 or E60 520 (LCI). Since E36, 4 potter on a 3 series has poor pwr-weight. It could not fully utilise its proper setup. The worse are those E9x 318 which is basically a detuned 2L.

On C180, the engine is coarse & unrefined.

hi bro

the engine is certainly not coarse and unrefined. it feels very very smooth. in fact much smoother than its bmw & audi 4 pot counterparts. and this i know having driven an E90 320i, my own C200, A4 and E60 520i.

↡ Advertisement