Thinking of buying MErc C180

Anshng

U r wrong on that. It is a joke that car big big but engine small small.

engine big or small no difference to me as long as it can provide the output. More so in this case where a C180k's engine is much more perky and responsive than a 6 pot 323i.

I dont want to pay extra road tax for nothing.

If a 4pot can perform better than an 8 pot then im not sure why people would want to choose the 8 pot.

Especially with all the manufacturers downsizing their engines now. No more 6.208L M156

↡ Advertisement

I am just curious. The engine is just a pathetic 1.6L with a supercharger installed in order to push the output to a 2L equivalent. Its not even fast to begin with and its small.

So I don't know how to where the car stands. Luxury? Comfort? Speed? Or simply the badge.....

excuse me Mr Mini-itx/ panty hunter

You have just answered your question yourself.

The C-class delivers on all counts mentioned above.

hi bro

the engine is certainly not coarse and unrefined. it feels very very smooth. in fact much smoother than its bmw & audi 4 pot counterparts. and this i know having driven an E90 320i, my own C200, A4 and E60 520i.

The engine sound of C180 is coarse & unrefined (from my perspective) especially when the rev is climbing. I always drive alone with windown down.

BMW 4 pot also sound like diesel engine during idling. At least when it moves, it sounds better.

U r wrong on that. It is a joke that car big big but engine small small.

As a matter of fact, most cars in Singapore are imported with a smaller capacity due to our road tax structure as well as the nature of our driving here.

TOYOTA ALTIS - 1.6L, some countries min 1.8L

TOYOTA CAMRY - 2.0L, other countries 2.4L

Honda Civic - 1.6L, most other countries min 1.8L

There are many other examples that I can quote you. Hence, Big Car - small engine is a "norm" in Singapore and please this situation is not just for BMWs and Mercs.

It is not a joke, else all of us will end up as jokers..

Edited by Civic6228

engine big or small no difference to me as long as it can provide the output. More so in this case where a C180k's engine is much more perky and responsive than a 6 pot 323i.

I dont want to pay extra road tax for nothing.

If a 4pot can perform better than an 8 pot then im not sure why people would want to choose the 8 pot.

Especially with all the manufacturers downsizing their engines now. No more 6.208L M156

U can't compare it against 323. 323 is not a true blue 2.5L.

Due to all these engine downsizing, we have lost some of the engineering marvel, like VW Golf MKV R32. W/o R32, we would not have Bugatti Veyron W16.

Neutral Newbie

I have to disagree with you on E9x 318/320 or E60 520 (LCI). Since E36, 4 potter on a 3 series has poor pwr-weight. It could not fully utilise its proper setup. The worse are those E9x 318 which is basically a detuned 2L.

On C180, the engine is coarse & unrefined.

Oh.....thats because you have not try the C180 CGI yet....250NM of torque from 1600rpm...plus the whistling sound....music to my ears! :wub:

Do you think most people who buys the C, E and S-Class are going for the way the car handles??? Besides the fact that it's continental???

i suppose there's that Mercedes badge value that comes into play as well....

as long as it's a Mercedes, the car will sell....

As a matter of fact, most cars in Singapore are imported with a smaller capacity due to our road tax structure as well as the nature of our driving here.

TOYOTA ALTIS - 1.6L, some countries min 1.8L

TOYOTA CAMRY - 2.0L, other countries 2.4L

Honda Civic - 1.6L, most other countries min 1.8L

There are many other examples that I can quote you. Hence, Big Car - small engine is a "norm" in Singapore and please this situation is not just for BMWs and Mercs.

It is not a joke, else all of us will end as jokers..

We shall not talk far. Let's look @ Malaysia Road Tax structure:

Visit My Website

Is it comparable to us?

It is AD marketing strategy.

///M3 has mature from 4 pot to 6 pot. It has move on to 8 pot now.

4 pot N46 is different from 4 pot of ///M3. It is not comparable. The only modern engine that could compare with 4 pot ///M3 is N45B20S.

I wouldn't use the word mature.... Its more like M3 has gain alot more weight over the years and hence it needs more power. the original M3 wasn't built for luxury purpose.

I didn't say anything about the N46 though. To me, N46 is rubbish. I only mentioned the N45B20S used in the 320si and the old M42 (because I know how to get it "converted" into something thats close to the S42B20).

excuse me Mr Mini-itx/ panty hunter

You have just answered your question yourself.

The C-class delivers on all counts mentioned above.

If you have a problem with my post you can report them to the mods. Don't need to call names......

I just realise you are the guy asking about spark plugs in the maintenance section.....

Sorry that I have posted in your thread. Pls ignore them as they are just rubbish posts. however, I think Brisk are one of the most expensive brands around (OWS should be another). so they should be good right?

Thank you.

Edited by Crazecow

so sorry about that bro (: no problem with your posts la just kidding with you since Krado always try to bully you

will try to remove

pai seh

Im not so sure about Brisk but i know you're the technical expert around

Doesnt matter what sparks performance will be about the same roughly

cheers

Edited by Cerano

We shall not talk far. Let's look @ Malaysia Road Tax structure:

Visit My Website

Is it comparable to us?

It is AD marketing strategy.

I seriously do not understand your comparisan : 1.6 L - RM90 against S$700 plus .... comparable ? Unless we are comparing capacity above 2.5 L.

The engine sound of C180 is coarse & unrefined (from my perspective) especially when the rev is climbing. I always drive alone with windown down.

BMW 4 pot also sound like diesel engine during idling. At least when it moves, it sounds better.

you very hard to satisfy ok [laugh]

for me smoothness is not the sound but the amount of vibration when idling.

In that respect the W204 M271 idles as smooth as an IL6

Do you think most people who buys the C, E and S-Class are going for the way the car handles??? Besides the fact that it's continental???

i suppose there's that Mercedes badge value that comes into play as well....

as long as it's a Mercedes, the car will sell....

i think its luxury features + badge + a combination of everything

i think its luxury features + badge + a combination of everything

nah....

IMO, people who drive Mercedes actually knows nuts about their cars....

all they want is to drive around the Mercedes-badge....

perhaps there's a 50:50 split between those going for the features (which you'd have to pay extra for anyways), and those who just drive the car because it's a Mercedes-Benz.....

it's a Mercedes-Benz, and that's why it sells.....

so sorry about that bro (: no problem with your posts la just kidding with you since Krado always try to bully you

will try to remove

pai seh

Im not so sure about Brisk but i know you're the technical expert around

Doesnt matter what sparks performance will be about the same roughly

cheers

OK, no problem! Cheers!! I thought you are another Krado. Sorry my mistake.

As for the plug (sorry for going OT). Seriously just stick with what you have for now. 4K don't need to change at all.

If you are seeking power, as I have mentioned, plugs alone can't give you much (at most just 1-3HP more even for the best plugs).

If you are really seeking slightly more power (esp. at low RPM), I strongly advise you to do go CAI instead (not open pod but get cooler air into your engine). Things like phenolic manifold gasket and ceramic coating can help shield the manifold from heat soaking and hence makes the air going into the engine cooler.

One purpose of cooler air is denser and more oxygen but another benefit of cooler air is also to prevent detonation. This allows you to advance your ignition more. Thus you get more power.

Btw, AVOID nology plugs. They do work as advertise but its the problems associated with non resistor plugs. It can cause problems with electronics so I don't recommend you using them.

Forget about nology hotwires. It doesn't work unless you are using their plugs. I seem the demo myself. no difference if using Denso or NGK plugs. Must be non resistor plugs.

Forget about fancy plug wires as well (if you are not using COP). Purpose of good wires is to provide good shielding. Not give more power.

↡ Advertisement