What are the ways to increase ride comfort

E-Jazz

Neutral Newbie

Hi bros/sis,

Just want to ask if there are things to take note of to increase ride comfort. Am driving a Jazz 1.3 with 16 inch factory rims. Currently, I have am at a tyre pressure of front 220 and back 210.

On bumpy roads, I can feel quite a rough ride. What I don't like is near traffic lights when roads are rough, thats where when slowing down towards a stop, the car will shake from left right left right making it very uncomfortable.

What advise do bros/sis have for me, please do let me know. Thanks

(I am not worried about FC, more concern over maximum ride comfort)

post-73995-1291477784.jpg

Edited by E-Jazz
↡ Advertisement

downsize to 14" rim and tyres. should help in the absorbing of bumps. a bit extreme, but since u said u want maximum ride comfort, hence my suggestion

Neutral Newbie

Go for smaller rims and thicker sidewalls, this will help to absorb the bumps on the road.

However, I have to say you can't expect a Jazz to have the same ride comfort as a big saloon. Weight is a very important fact in ride comfort.

DRIVER:

Be alert and observant

Avoid bumpy routes

Detour around traffic jams

Accelerate gradually

Drive at slower speed just above minimium speed for that route

Take easy bigger radius when turning left/right

Avoid 3-points U-turns

Stop gradually

Reverse gradually

Avoid underground carparks

CAR:

Inflate tire at about 90% of the minimum recommended inflation pressure (front:200kpa, rear:190kpa)

Replace with slippery tire when current ones worn out

Replace wheel/tire to smallest equivalent tire circumference

Replace seats with those having lumbar support adjustable, elevate-able seat (like Punto)

Avoid automatic transmission (subject to driving skill, since different Driving Licence required)

Detour around potholes, road surface depressions/debris

Maintain car in roadworthiness condition

Have set in Jazzes before and generally the ride quality is on the firm side. Don't think you can get plush ride comfort but some improvements can be achieved by the following.

Instead of 14", change to 15" tyres as replacements are easier to find. As suggested, buy tyres with softer sidewalls and pump the tyres to 28-30PSI (try and see which level you feel more comfortable with). Also buy comfort tyres, not performance. Do wheel balancing and an alignment when you carry this out.

The shaking sensation you feel is due to the chassis flexing. You can stiffen the chassis up with braces to reduce this but your ride will get stiffer so there are trade-offs. You may wish to consider changing your suspension top hats/mounts to those that use micro cellular bushings that will help to reduce NVH (noise, vibration, harshness).

Anything further I think it is a wiser choice to change to a more comfort-driven car.

I've heard people recommending dual rate springs such as this:

Image015.jpg

The idea is that the springs get stiffer towards the end of the travel instead of having a linear rate.. Haven't tried one myself (cause there's tons of them but they all lower the car, I don't want to)...

The idea is that the springs get stiffer towards the end of the travel instead of having a linear rate.. Haven't tried one myself (cause there's tons of them but they all lower the car, I don't want to)...

woah what springs are these? colors undeniably spoon but it looks kinda.. odd? like counterfeit?

Hi bros/sis,

Just want to ask if there are things to take note of to increase ride comfort. Am driving a Jazz 1.3 with 16 inch factory rims. Currently, I have am at a tyre pressure of front 220 and back 210.

On bumpy roads, I can feel quite a rough ride. What I don't like is near traffic lights when roads are rough, thats where when slowing down towards a stop, the car will shake from left right left right making it very uncomfortable.

What advise do bros/sis have for me, please do let me know. Thanks

(I am not worried about FC, more concern over maximum ride comfort)

um downsize to 14" seriously. thicker walls = absorption. it shouldnt shake left to right. something wrong with alignment?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no way to do these - singapore roads are getting from bad to worse

i dont think you have issues with stopping.

pump the min, dont underinflate.

automatic is recommended.

DRIVER:

Be alert and observant

Avoid bumpy routes

Accelerate gradually

Avoid 3-points U-turns

Stop gradually

Reverse gradually

CAR:

Inflate tire at about 90% of the minimum recommended inflation pressure (front:200kpa, rear:190kpa)

Replace seats with those having lumbar support adjustable, elevate-able seat (like Punto)

Avoid automatic transmission (subject to driving skill, since different Driving Licence required)

Neutral Newbie

I think when he meant shake left to right, he meat the car would tilt left and then tilt right (due to the uneven road). When there is a bump on the left, left side of the car would lift up and thus it would be seems as if the car tilt to the right, and vice versa.

As I have mentioned, its very difficult to get a comfortable ride which a light and small car. Cause the movement of the suspension would caue the whole car to move easily. If the suspension is too soft (to absorb all the bumps), then your will get too much roll when you corner and it may become unsafe. Then the car would be too low and bottom out if you have passengers.

Thats why big and heavy saloons are so much more stable and comfortable.

woah what springs are these? colors undeniably spoon but it looks kinda.. odd? like counterfeit?

Yeah its a counterfeit.. You happy now?

Try to load up the car with heavy woofers and accessories!

It will help to counter the strong spring in the jazz. Heavier car will have more comfort. Something to do with the ratio of the car weight vs the uptrust from the wheel when hitting a bump.

The heavier weight will counter the uptrust from the spring when going over humps. The heavy car will stay more level compared to a lighter car. The lighter car will get 'pushed' upwards from the hump and thus there is the floating feel!

(my understand of above is my own thinking, not to take as truth or accurate)

I am on 15" and pump 230kPa front n rear. I have loaded up my car with stuffs and high-fi systems.

The balance is just right when I ferry my family around, car 'feel' smooth and stable.

Can't really see the helper springs. This photo should be clearer:

13-16210.jpg

Actually the TS has not stated whether his suspension is stock OEM or has it been played around with. Age of the car is also important to see if some suspension parts have worn out (bushings, bump stops etc) and needs to be replaced.

DRIVER:

Be alert and observant

Avoid bumpy routes

Accelerate gradually

Avoid 3-points U-turns

Stop gradually

Reverse gradually

CAR:

agree its all about driving type, even if u drive merc or bm but u drive aggresive and brake and accelerate anyhow, it wont be comfortable

Change to a French car. Soft on rough surfaces, but when doing tight turns and fast corners, body control is tip top (no going to topple down feeling).

To make the deal sweeter, most are now selling at Jap car price or lower. You can maybe sell your Jazz and make a profit too. [:p]

Save tons of $$$ too 'cos nothing to "play" with - no/little aftermarket strut bars, braces, spoilers, skirts, etc, etc to entice you. Buy stock and drive stock all the way. [laugh]

Edited by Kangadrool
↡ Advertisement