Park connector bicycle routes

Genie47

See this here.

http://www.nparks.gov.sg/cms/index.php?opt...s&Itemid=74

If all of them are linked, it will be a really a good network.

If LCK road is an aircraft runway, these park connectors can also serve as avenues for troop movement in defence! Think about it. Bicycle light infantry fully loaded and be called to any part of the island!

↡ Advertisement

See this here.

If LCK road is an aircraft runway, these park connectors can also serve as avenues for troop movement in defence! Think about it. Bicycle light infantry fully loaded and be called to any part of the island!

during WW2, japanese troops cycled down from malaya pennisular to enter spore...... :D

See this here.

it's a great news for all bladers and cyclist... I tried the PCn linking ecp to changi beach.. super duper tired.. I start cycling from fort road carpark till the end of ecp then link to PCN then changi beach.. then back... TIRED!!! estimate we clock 42km through fro.. 3 hrs.. heh.. fun.. [laugh]

Those in the map already linked if I'm not wrong

Only Eastern, Northern & North West (Bkt Batok & Bkt Panjang) are properly linked within respective zone (i.e. Eastern, Northern & North West). There is no inter-connectivity btw zone yet (i.e there is no connection btw Eastern Loop & Northern Loop, etc). URA/NPark/LTA is working on it at the moment. In addition, there is no proper loop in West (Jurong, Queenstown, etc) & southern (Kallang, Marina Bay).

Come to think of it, if they are connected, maybe people can use it to cycle to work?

It is a longer route but a safer route sans someone jumping out from the bushes and raping you. [:p]

Come to think of it, if they are connected, maybe people can use it to cycle to work?

It is a longer route but a safer route sans someone jumping out from the bushes and raping you. [:p]

It is safe to cycle to work. It depends on skill & confidence level of individuals. I have been cycling to work since Dec 2006. Starting from pavement & moving onto road.

Parliament: MOT to unveil guidelines for use of bikes and personal mobility devices next year
A woman riding her bicycle on a bridge at Bishan Park.ST PHOTO: JAMIE KOH
PUBLISHED
24 MIN AGO
0 0 0

SINGAPORE - Rules and norms governing the conduct of cyclists and personal mobility device users will be proposed by the second quarter of next year, Parliamentary Secretary for Transport Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim said on Tuesday.

A national voluntary cyclist education programme will then be developed based on the revised guidelines, he added in reply to a question from Tampines GRC MP Ms Irene Ng.

Prof Faishal also gave an update on the Government's plan to build an island-wide, off-road cycling path network spanning over 700km by 2030.

He said cycling path networks have been completed in four towns - Tampines, Sembawang, Pasir Ris and Yishun, and will be completed in 11 more towns in the next five years. In addition, existing cycling path networks are being linked up to connect to the city.

"These include linking Alexandra Canal Linear Park and Ulu Pandan Park Connector in the west, and linking Geylang Park Connector to a future Park Connector along Sims Avenue in the east," he said.

However, apart from building up the national cycling infrastructure, it was "equally important" to develop a clear and consistent set of rules and norms to ensure safe and responsible cycling conduct, he added.

To that end, a recently formed Active Mobility Advisory Panel comprising 14 representatives from key groups such as seniors, youth, grassroots leaders, cyclists, motorists, and users of personal mobility devices, and chaired by Prof Faishal will look at formulating the set of cycling rules and norms.

In a supplementary question, Ms Ng asked if the Ministry of Transport (MOT) would consider interim guidelines, and if authorities had any plans to ensure that footways remain safe for pedestrians and that they have the right of way, "even as cyclists continue cycling on footways as it is not being enforced right now".

Prof Faishal said that authorities have been stepping up enforcement at problem areas.

"We are currently working and we have been working together with the community to see where are the spots where we need to enhance our enforcement, and we have done so and certain areas have improved, others we can do better and we will do better," he said.

We probably cannot drive our whole life. Even if we could, some of our offspring might not be able to until they are a young adult. Some of us get retrenched and go into early retirement, some of us might need to deploy the funds for our retirement, helping our children etc.

At some point of time, many of us might start to ponder about the feasibility of cycling as a main mode of transport. So here goes...

S'pore, aim to be first tropical cycling city
Jessica Cheam For The Straits Times
PUBLISHED
AUG 18, 2015, 5:00 AM SGT
219 11 0
See the bicycle not as an inferior form of transport, but the ultimate vehicle of freedom

Last weekend, as I dusted off my bicycle from the basement of my apartment block and took my first ride in years to the neighbourhood mall and back, the English rock band Queen's song "Bicycle Race" popped into my head.

The catchy chorus goes: "I want to ride my bicycle / I want to ride my bike / I want to ride my bicycle / I want to ride it where I like".

The international hit, released in 1978, was inspired by the Tour de France and its official video featuring a bicycle race with nude women at Wimbledon Stadium caused a hullabaloo at the time.

Throughout its history, the humble bicycle has oft been associated with notions of liberty, freedom, and an accompanying sense of carefree happiness.

Perhaps it is these qualities, and the imagination it inspires, that led American novelist Christopher Morley to write: "The bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets."

I would love to ride my bike more, including to work and back. Unfortunately, Singapore remains far from being a city where I can "ride it where I like".

First popularised in Europe in the 1800s, the bicycle was a permanent fixture in the early transport systems of cities all across the world, including Singapore.

Singapore in 1960, with an established cycling culture, had 268,000 bicycles, compared to 63,000 cars and 19,000 motorcycles. Several major roads even had bicycle tracks next to footpaths, according to a 2012 NTU paper that tracked the evolution of cycling.

But as Singapore enjoyed rapid economic development from the 1970s, growing affluence and the popularity of cars and motorcycles soon saw the bicycle fall out of favour. It was seen as an inferior form of travel and cycling paths were removed to widen roads. Transport planning began to focus on motorised vehicles, and the Government Registry of Vehicles stopped registering bicycles in 1981. This trend was reflected in developing cities worldwide. After decades of neglect, however, the bicycle is making a comeback.

Taipei already boasts a famous bike-sharing scheme YouBike that has successfully integrated cycling into the daily commute. Thailand has just announced Asia's longest bicycle lane, a $60-million track spanning 184.8km across five provinces.

As for Singapore, it could be the perfect cycling city. It is compact and densely built on relatively flat land.

But why has it been so slow to embrace cycling as a serious complementary mode of transport and to support it with the necessary infrastructure?

Its hot, humid weather is oft cited as an obstacle. Safety is also an issue. But these are not insurmountable obstacles.

To some extent, the Government has recognised the benefits of cycling and has addressed these issues with various measures.

Under the National Cycling Plan, the Urban Redevelopment Authority aims to increase Singapore's cycling network to more than 700km by 2030, with design features to increase shade along cycling paths.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has invested $43 million to design and construct dedicated off-road cycling paths in seven Housing Board towns, and is due to launch a bicycle-sharing pilot scheme by the end of the year.

At a recent lunch hosted by Danish Ambassador to Singapore Berit Basse for a group of editors, I took the chance to ask her what enabled Copenhagen to successfully become a cycling city.

It came down to this, she said: Mindset shift and public support. When the growth of cars started to seriously encroach on public spaces in Copenhagen in the 1970s, residents started staging protests to demand that their spaces be preserved. Public demand drove policymakers to adopt measures that support the bicycle as a viable mode of transport . These included the gradual removal of car parking space in the city centre by 2 to 3 per cent a year, increasing the cost of parking in the city, and gradually narrowing roads to create space for more bicycle lanes.

For something similar to happen in Singapore, we need mass support to compel planners to make space for dedicated cycling lanes. If these lanes can't be carved out of existing roads, we should allow cycling on footpaths, and make adjustments for both pedestrians and cyclists.

As the saying goes, if you build it, they will come. Making cycling safe and convenient is the first step towards mass adoption.

The Danes, noted Ms Basse, also came to disregard the car as a status symbol. More people own bicycles than cars in Copenhagen, and those who own cars definitely also own bicycles. When it snows in the winter, bicycle lanes are cleared first before car lanes. Ministers, CEOs and citizens alike cycle to work, she said, making it the ultimate social equaliser.

Copenhagen is on track to become carbon neutral by 2025 and is regarded as Europe's greenest capital, which manages to enjoy economic growth without growing its emissions.

For Singapore to get there, we will need to find a way to dilute that link between cars and status, and move people's car-owning aspirations towards a larger one that views the bicycle, not as an inferior form of transport but, as the ultimate vehicle of freedom.

It is my hope that Singapore will become the world's first tropical cycling city within the next decade. We have nothing to lose and all to gain. As English writer Herbert George Wells puts it: "Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."

• This is a fortnightly column on the environment by Jessica Cheam, who is the editor of Eco-Business, an Asia-Pacific sustainable business online publication.

A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Straits Times on August 18, 2015, with the headline 'OnePlanet S'pore, aim to be first tropical cycling city'. Print Edition | Subscribe

Parliament: MOT to unveil guidelines for use of bikes and personal mobility devices next year
A woman riding her bicycle on a bridge at Bishan Park.ST PHOTO: JAMIE KOH
PUBLISHED
24 MIN AGO
0 0 0

SINGAPORE - Rules and norms governing the conduct of cyclists and personal mobility device users will be proposed by the second quarter of next year, Parliamentary Secretary for Transport Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim said on Tuesday.

A national voluntary cyclist education programme will then be developed based on the revised guidelines, he added in reply to a question from Tampines GRC MP Ms Irene Ng.

Prof Faishal also gave an update on the Government's plan to build an island-wide, off-road cycling path network spanning over 700km by 2030.

He said cycling path networks have been completed in four towns - Tampines, Sembawang, Pasir Ris and Yishun, and will be completed in 11 more towns in the next five years. In addition, existing cycling path networks are being linked up to connect to the city.

"These include linking Alexandra Canal Linear Park and Ulu Pandan Park Connector in the west, and linking Geylang Park Connector to a future Park Connector along Sims Avenue in the east," he said.

However, apart from building up the national cycling infrastructure, it was "equally important" to develop a clear and consistent set of rules and norms to ensure safe and responsible cycling conduct, he added.

To that end, a recently formed Active Mobility Advisory Panel comprising 14 representatives from key groups such as seniors, youth, grassroots leaders, cyclists, motorists, and users of personal mobility devices, and chaired by Prof Faishal will look at formulating the set of cycling rules and norms.

In a supplementary question, Ms Ng asked if the Ministry of Transport (MOT) would consider interim guidelines, and if authorities had any plans to ensure that footways remain safe for pedestrians and that they have the right of way, "even as cyclists continue cycling on footways as it is not being enforced right now".

Prof Faishal said that authorities have been stepping up enforcement at problem areas.

"We are currently working and we have been working together with the community to see where are the spots where we need to enhance our enforcement, and we have done so and certain areas have improved, others we can do better and we will do better," he said.

One thing those cyclist need is basic highway code ..... :yuush:

Must know where to ride, how to cross a junction, come down and push in Zebra Crossing, don't ride on predestrain path especially in town centre, 5-foot way is for foot, not for bicycle, ..... etc.. :a-aggressive::a-aggressive::a-aggressive:

Im a regular user for park connectors, but I am super annoyed at those users who used motorize bike and scooters in the connectors.

Signs have been placed up that motorize equipments are not allowed, yet I still see them zipping past me from time to time....

:yuush:

One thing those cyclist need is basic highway code ..... :yuush:

Must know where to ride, how to cross a junction, come down and push in Zebra Crossing, don't ride on predestrain path especially in town centre, 5-foot way is for foot, not for bicycle, ..... etc.. :a-aggressive::a-aggressive::a-aggressive:

How is that code working for the cars? Still a lot of accidents daily. Still a lot of complaints about idiot drivers.

How is that code working for the cars? Still a lot of accidents daily. Still a lot of complaints about idiot drivers.

Cars against cars can settle by insurance claim. There is a registration number (car plate number) and both parties can't run...

Cars against bicycle (even when you are in the right) also kena fine by TP for "Failing to Keep a Proper Lookout" ... :omg:

Walking with family members on busy 5-foot way in town centre, those motorise bicycle can come from behind and press their horn and expect you to guve way to them. Before you could open a gap, they accidentally scrape pass you and the side paddle cut your leg. They didn't stop and rode off, you claim from whom or make a police report against who? :wut:

At traffic light junctions, timing already at 3 seconds left for predestrain and they are opposite speeding towards you, you give way or let them crash onto you and leave you with few days without cars as in workshop spray painting. Worst still, they did not bring money or i/c and there is no way you can claim from them as there is no registration number.

LL you have to ensure that he is not injured although you are in the right of way cos if he can make a report against you and you will receive a beautiful letter from TP, "Notice to Produce Driver's Particulars" for an offence of "Failing To Keep A Proper Look-out". 3 points & $120 fine.

If you ignore him and left the junction, he make a report, you will kena another "Failing to Stop In An Accident And Render Help". .. :a-bang:

Edited by Picnic06
↡ Advertisement