Melvyn Tan returns... how will netizens react this time?

Hensony

Pianist realises his Fantasie

Pianist Melvyn Tan's solo show is back on, five years after a public outcry over his dodging of national service

By magdalen ng

Renowned pianist Melvyn Tan is finally returning for his Singapore solo debut at the Esplanade next month.

It is a bittersweet homecoming for the man dogged by a national service controversy here. Five years ago, when he tried to perform at the same venue, the public had raised an outcry over whether he had been dealt with too lightly for defaulting on his national service.

'It's been a long time coming, this concert, and it will be a poignant moment, to be able to play for the people who have supported me since I went away,' says Tan in a telephone interview from London, where he is based.

His recital, titled Fantasie, will be on at the Esplanade Concert Hall on Jan 19.

The 54-year-old originally planned to have his concert in December 2005 but he scrapped that when an uproar erupted over his evasion of national service while studying music in London.

An April 2007 date with the Singapore Symphony Orchestra was announced but that, too, was postponed.

He left Singapore in 1969, at the age of 12, to study at the famed Yehudi Menuhin School, and later the Royal College of Music, and did not return to serve his national service.

When he eventually returned in 2005, he was charged for the evasion and fined $3,000. By then, he was above 40 years old and was no longer liable to serve. He had also renounced his Singapore citizenship in 1978.

But that did not stop many Singaporeans from pitching in on whether his punishment was adequate. His case also led to debate over the leeway to be given to young talent pursuing their development and careers overseas, and the deferment of their national service.

Now a British citizen, he says: 'The national service issue is not something that I can shake off. It is my circumstances, and something I have to accept. There is nothing really I can do about it.'

He adds: 'What I want to focus on is to do a good concert and for people to enjoy themselves. That's what I want to think about.'

He will be playing four pieces - two by Polish composer Chopin, Images by French composer Debussy and Fantasiestucke by German composer Schumann. The programme, he says, will be a menu of different but complementary music.

'It's not just the tastebuds that I want to stimulate. I want the audience to hear a bit of this and a bit of that,' he explains.

The concert pianist has performed at many prestigious venues, including London's Barbican and New York's Lincoln Center. He is also a veteran at international festivals, such as the Edinburgh International Festival and the Salzburg Summer Festival.

These days, he spends most of his time in his London studio when he is not travelling. He is also fond of exercising, going to the theatre and meeting friends.

'I always get more done in concentrated bursts. So I practise for two hours, take a walk and then come back for more,' he says.

On his trip back to Singapore, he will also conduct masterclasses for students at the Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music, the School of the Arts and the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts.

He thinks that it will be a good opportunity for him to pass on his expertise to budding musicians.

'Over the years, I've gained a lot of experience as a performer, and this is something that you cannot get when you are in your 20s. You learn a piece and you can prepare only so much, but performing in public is something different,' he says.

'You can't teach experience but I hope that I will be able to share what I know with the students.'

↡ Advertisement

pianoboy can't really be any good as a soldier anyway.

do we really need another disgruntled clerk?

No good then no need serve NS? Damn, I should declare myself useless to the army when I went to CMPB then. Maybe then I no need to serve.

Edited by Kiadaw

He gave up his citizenship anyway.

whis is why he should not be liable for NS. give up citizenship=abandoning the country. so why the big hoo hah?

whis is why he should not be liable for NS. give up citizenship=abandoning the country. so why the big hoo hah?

so... can give up citizenship and siam NS... and then come back to SG without repercussion?

Then many people would just take up NZ, AU or Canadian citizenship for same purpose of siam NS. Is it ok as well? Only $3000 fine and all's well? Sounds like a great bargain to save 2.5yrs of NS + 13yrs of reservist during the most productive time of one's life.

so... can give up citizenship and siam NS... and then come back to SG without repercussion?

Then many people would just take up NZ, AU or Canadian citizenship for same purpose of siam NS. Is it ok as well? Only $3000 fine and all's well? Sounds like a great bargain to save 2.5yrs of NS + 13yrs of reservist during the most productive time of one's life.

You think its so easy to get popular western country citizenship? Citizenship hor, not PR. One needs to be there and be naturalised for years... It's not something you can buy with money like PR.

You think its so easy to get popular western country citizenship? Citizenship hor, not PR. One needs to be there and be naturalised for years... It's not something you can buy with money like PR.

Agree. Getting the British citizenship is not so easy. Even harder now.

I feel he did the right thing where his talent & career are concerned. He must be exceptionally good to make a name for himself. It's not easy cos there are many good classical musician from the EUs with a strong classical music institutions & heritage.

Turbocharged

i'll be more concerned if someone siam NS yet still retains his citizenship

this guy has renounced his Singaporean citizenship, so i guess fair enough

what if Fandi's sons made it in football in Europe and decided not to come back for NS too? will Singaporeans forgive them?

In Singapore, farking easy to get citizenship leh... :D

i'll be more concerned if someone siam NS yet still retains his citizenship

this guy has renounced his Singaporean citizenship, so i guess fair enough

what if Fandi's sons made it in football in Europe and decided not to come back for NS too? will Singaporeans forgive them?

the issue is the double standards.... there are others I know that also give up SG citizenship and become citizens of other countries. The standard rule for people who comeback after siam NS, EVEN if renounce SG citizen and is other country citizen - is refusal of entry to country, or jail at point of entry.

So... if one is elite, or pianist or footballer - standard rules don't apply?

It may not be a double-standard issue but different times, different rules. In this case, he was allowed to renounced his s'pore citizenship...which I, as layman, would assumed that the person is free from any obligations...'debt'-free. But rules has changed since the 70's, 80's, etc.... Now, no male s'porean (above 12yrs old?) is not allowed to renounce his S'pore citizenship (doesn't matter if he has already taken up other country's citizenship) until he serve his NS or get punished for it before that person is allowed to do so.

and the countless IPPTs and RTs [laugh]

↡ Advertisement