STi stock spoiler

Boyboy

Seriously, got use or not?

I getting 2nd hand STi real soon and find the stock spoiler quite ugly. Does it add any downforce besides its rather significant weight? I'm sure some 1.6 TS owner would like to have my spoiler. The only reason I'd not want to remove it is if someone tells me I need it on North-South highway... I might try a top speed run there but gonna spend most of the journey below 180km/h (or more like below 130 due to traffic).

Some more my wife complain the spoiler too beng liao. I don't mind beng look but it must have purpose. Like air scoop is bor pian one.. I just want performance only, not looks.

And I buy STi cos I like the overall package at a reasonable price. Not buying it to terrorise the LOCAL highways. lets leave that to the TPs... [thumbsup]

up north is another story, but actually my intention is to go to the track to understand my ride. this might include a short burst of speed or two along NSH but certainly not gonna zua all the way (heard turbo cannot boost too long or will overheat?)

I guess its also time for me to join some rex forums or sth. haha

↡ Advertisement

Seriously, got use or not?

I getting 2nd hand STi real soon and find the stock spoiler quite ugly. Does it add any downforce besides its rather significant weight? I'm sure some 1.6 TS owner would like to have my spoiler. The only reason I'd not want to remove it is if someone tells me I need it on North-South highway... I might try a top speed run there but gonna spend most of the journey below 180km/h (or more like below 130 due to traffic).

Some more my wife complain the spoiler too beng liao. I don't mind beng look but it must have purpose. Like air scoop is bor pian one.. I just want performance only, not looks.

And I buy STi cos I like the overall package at a reasonable price. Not buying it to terrorise the LOCAL highways. lets leave that to the TPs... [thumbsup]

up north is another story, but actually my intention is to go to the track to understand my ride. this might include a short burst of speed or two along NSH but certainly not gonna zua all the way (heard turbo cannot boost too long or will overheat?)

I guess its also time for me to join some rex forums or sth. haha

the spoiler definately adds some down force when ur travelling in the high speeds. as for the air scoop, u may wana consider going front mount ic and replace the scoop wif an inverted one.

anyway, if u were to take out the orginal spoiler, there will be 13 holes to patch. hahaha..

by the way, which one of the STi ur getting? from sgcarmart?

Sti Spoiler

guess i should have googled.. I'll keep the spoiler then. maybe get an original roof vane from the 06 or 07 sti to add on, though it makes the car look even worse

sgcarmart, yeah. one of the "STIs" isn't. so if anyone is looking for an STi, PM me and I will tell you which dealer to avoid. tried to pass off a wrx as an STi. horror of horrors. lucky my dad's friend is very knowledgeable with subaru.

i guess stock is best OVERALL. though i probably wanna do something about the stock cooling and suspension, followed by power. some previous owner saved me some trouble by upgrading rotors, so i'll see how the rotors hold out.

What's Ur target bhp? The stock brembos are fine but u might wanna consider upgrading for track.

If u are buying direct owner, take it to BKS or BMS for a check first. Seems like u are buying MY05 Sti? Cockeye? Check oil seals... Power steering rack and pump. Radiator too. At the car's age... These things are likely to fail... Can get BMS to do a basic compression check to be safe too.

You need major servicing at around 80,000 km, that will cost in neighborhood of well over 1K. If you do another full oil/fluid change, thats at least 500 bucks more. You have to factor this in when you buy your car. Don't do any serious mod until the condition of the car is taken care of.

Out of curiosity, why an STi? Why not a base rex, or god forbid, an evo? What are the deciding factors? Looks? performance? Feel?

By the way, until now, I still can't really tell the STi from base WRX mechanical (as oppose to looks), other than the brakes. For every 20 wrx, maybe you find one STi, so whats the improvement from the base Rex to justify the extra cost?

I think in some market like U.K, there is no base WRX, its the STi or the base Impreza.

it's consignment sale. I brought it to BMS Liao.

target bhp? stock la. I will think abt it again in future. I know I mentioned 450 bhp in some other thread but I better learn to manage 280 first. also budget would be an issue. I am not willing to dump too much money into the car yet. after the servicing and non negotiables like brakes n tires are settled that will be a small fortune Liao.

You need major servicing at around 80,000 km, that will cost in neighborhood of well over 1K. If you do another full oil/fluid change, thats at least 500 bucks more. You have to factor this in when you buy your car. Don't do any serious mod until the condition of the car is taken care of.

Out of curiosity, why an STi? Why not a base rex, or god forbid, an evo? What are the deciding factors? Looks? performance? Feel?

By the way, until now, I still can't really tell the STi from base WRX mechanical (as oppose to looks), other than the brakes. For every 20 wrx, maybe you find one STi, so whats the improvement from the base Rex to justify the extra cost?

I think in some market like U.K, there is no base WRX, its the STi or the base Impreza.

thx for the advice :). sti is more than just the brembos. stock bhp more, suspension different and not sure what else. evo is out of the question due to price. since I can afford a used STI, why not?

thx for the advice :). sti is more than just the brembos. stock bhp more, suspension different and not sure what else. evo is out of the question due to price. since I can afford a used STI, why not?

So how much you paying for the ride?

there's a few significant diff in the the base rex and STi. handling is one of them. next the gearbox. an STi's gearbox has got a higher threshold agaisnt abuse. then the engine, got a few frens on my05 Sti and they can take 1.7bar of boost on a upgraded turbo, stock internals. interior and many other things etc etc... ohh, the omv of the STi oso higher. but of coz, having said so, the base rex can be as good, even better, if the owner has got deep pockets for mods.

in the US, the ang mos seems to prefer base rex more. probably the can build them up w/o having worries wif the authorities.

Sti Spoiler

guess i should have googled.. I'll keep the spoiler then. maybe get an original roof vane from the 06 or 07 sti to add on, though it makes the car look even worse

sgcarmart, yeah. one of the "STIs" isn't. so if anyone is looking for an STi, PM me and I will tell you which dealer to avoid. tried to pass off a wrx as an STi. horror of horrors. lucky my dad's friend is very knowledgeable with subaru.

i guess stock is best OVERALL. though i probably wanna do something about the stock cooling and suspension, followed by power. some previous owner saved me some trouble by upgrading rotors, so i'll see how the rotors hold out.

infact, the tell tale sigh is the car's 'identity badge' that's embossed on the left hand corner behind the left windscreen. GDA is base rex, whereas GDB is STi. well of coz if workshops can even modify that, then i got nothing to say.. ^_^

chasis , gearbox , Dccd , engine , manifold , turbo , injectors all are different.

chasis , gearbox , Dccd , engine , manifold , turbo , injectors all are different.

my05 Sti got DCCD?

abt the engine.

how diff is it fr the base rex to the STi?

infact, the tell tale sigh is the car's 'identity badge' that's embossed on the left hand corner behind the left windscreen. GDA is base rex, whereas GDB is STi. well of coz if workshops can even modify that, then i got nothing to say.. ^_^

hmm i thot can just refer to the log card and OMV..i mean, if it's black and white, you can't bluff.

semi closed deck , internals , heads .

and yes 05sti have dccd.

ohh... and i tot only the hawkeye sti got dccd.

and to think all the while i tot both engines only diff is the semi closed deck.. haha

hmm i thot can just refer to the log card and OMV..i mean, if it's black and white, you can't bluff.

most of the times when the car is stationary and u wana identify whether it's an sti or not i think this is one of the better way.. u wun be asking for the log card if someone claims he's driving an sti when u suspect he isn't right? haha..

most of the times when the car is stationary and u wana identify whether it's an sti or not i think this is one of the better way.. u wun be asking for the log card if someone claims he's driving an sti when u suspect he isn't right? haha..

ooh cos i read that TS mentioned in 1st post that some dealer try to pass off base rex for STI ma..

haha of course in that situation, must use other ways to tell liao. but anyway, the windscreen thing is a good one, i didn't know. now i noe. [:)]

↡ Advertisement