Maid Agency

Bluepica

Turbocharged
(edited)

sorry to ressurect this post but need a maid / domestic help. Anyone got maid agencies to recommend? to take care of elderly and his needs. Is maid the right way to approach geriatric care?

Edited by nazerath
↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

sorry to ressurect this post but need a maid / domestic help. Anyone got maid agencies to recommend? to take care of elderly and his needs. Is maid the right way to approach geriatric care?

i got my helper from Best Home, Thomson Plaza. Look for Jane. Price wise, they are the most reasonable.

But do your own assessment of the potential helper hor.

Supersonic

i got my helper from Best Home, Thomson Plaza. Look for Jane. Price wise, they are the most reasonable.

But do your own assessment of the potential helper hor.

Do they bring in from Indon, PN & Mym or just a particular source?

Supercharged

Do they bring in from Indon, PN & Mym or just a particular source?

they have all sorts, as far as i know... indo, filipino, Mym........

Getting a maid is about heng or suay...

All agency same same....roll and roll...

I have to agree. It all depends on the maid's character... Heard so many horror stories from old classmates.

Anyone has maid agency/contacts to recommend?

Havent have any experience in getting domestic help before, what are the things to look out for?

Helpers from which country is good?

All advise are very much appreciated, TIA

• Praise 2

So much you can say about hiring maid.

If lucky you get a good one if unlucky your life will be hell.

My missus will talk to a maid and talk to the same maid again maybe 3 or 4 times to make sure she is happy with the maid's character.

Be aware that the maid will have to pay a massive fee to the agency and if you return the maid before she has repaid that fee it can be a major difficulty for her.

Whenever you return, if you return, her fee will extend by a further two months salary so think long and hard before making a decision.

One thing though do not pay the agent fee up front even if you think you will get it back from the maid.  Many agencies will require you to pay up front.

Look for an agency which allows payment by monthly pre dated cheque.

• Praise 2

talk about maid..............is cannot finish talking one............is  heng sway.............but end of the day.............they are also human being...........they also have their own thoughts..........for 17 years I have maids............yet i can make the wrong choice.......... [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Philippines ones are easy to communicate because they speak English..........but they are also the ones with the most human right issues...........cooking usually so so..............but quite good with young children...............some chio ones quite good with "sir" also........... [:p]

Indonesian ones are I feel that the best right now..........they have over taken the pinoy in price and highly in demand now.........they are better at doing house chores and cooking style is closer to us...............if you can speak malay will be alot easier to communicate..........but now heavily short supply........

Myanmar ones are the new stuff........... many agencies are trying to push for these new stocks..............market just open up.........cheaper also...............but is exactly like when indo just started...........all very slow in learning and mostly stay in very backdated kumpong...........most have never taken a lift or seen a can opener in their life..........

if want to write i think can write until next week.........now I have to go teach my new maid how to cook liao............ [laugh]

• Praise 6

So much you can say about hiring maid.

If lucky you get a good one if unlucky your life will be hell.

My missus will talk to a maid and talk to the same maid again maybe 3 or 4 times to make sure she is happy with the maid's character.

Be aware that the maid will have to pay a massive fee to the agency and if you return the maid before she has repaid that fee it can be a major difficulty for her.

Whenever you return, if you return, her fee will extend by a further two months salary so think long and hard before making a decision.

One thing though do not pay the agent fee up front even if you think you will get it back from the maid.  Many agencies will require you to pay up front.

Look for an agency which allows payment by monthly pre dated cheque.

before they come is everything also good lor.........once loan clear you see all the same pattern come liao............talk 10 times also no use........... [laugh]

BTW...............how you talk to same maid 3-4 times???..............over the phone call them? ..............if transfer maids by the time you decide I think ppl take liao lor............. [laugh]  [laugh]

Havent have any experience in getting domestic help before, what are the things to look out for?

all my 3 maids from nation, so far so good.

like some bros said, is heng sway, try your luck 

try this url to check the market value, e.g. experience or no experience

http://www.nation.com.sg/

• Praise 2

talk about maid..............is cannot finish talking one............is  heng sway.............but end of the day.............they are also human being...........they also have their own thoughts..........for 17 years I have maids............yet i can make the wrong choice.......... [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Philippines ones are easy to communicate because they speak English..........but they are also the ones with the most human right issues...........cooking usually so so..............but quite good with young children...............some chio ones quite good with "sir" also........... [:p]

Indonesian ones are I feel that the best right now..........they have over taken the pinoy in price and highly in demand now.........they are better at doing house chores and cooking style is closer to us...............if you can speak malay will be alot easier to communicate..........but now heavily short supply........

Myanmar ones are the new stuff........... many agencies are trying to push for these new stocks..............market just open up.........cheaper also...............but is exactly like when indo just started...........all very slow in learning and mostly stay in very backdated kumpong...........most have never taken a lift or seen a can opener in their life..........

if want to write i think can write until next week.........now I have to go teach my new maid how to cook liao............ [laugh]

ahem.... let me overtake you here; having had maids for over 27 years now; 1st one started with less than $100 pay from Sri Lanka and now its $500 pm ... talk about inflation and levy is really gila gila type ... varies with kids and old parents ....

My experience.....shop around KSC/ Bukit Timah Plaza or any other locations...... I know everytime I changed between 1 years shortest stint to 7 years longest .... i have to spend at least 12-18  man hours interviewing them & Agents (as far as fees are concerned, type of insurance package, and replacement (the most headache part)

.....have seen them move from sending letters and demand drafts/ money orders to now all are by TT  (city plaza got many remittance agencies) and whatsApp, Viber and all seem to want wifi at home; Even walk the dog phone comes out..... Live and Let live I say.... its trending amongst them.

...... biggest distraction is the mobile phone...... tell them they can use after dinner or urgent calls OK but they very bold one..... nowadays

And mine takes every Sunday off almost .. as kids are grown up   ...... got to becareful of the Bangla Buaya's especially for the Pinoy and Indo maids ; My last Indo one worked for me for almost 5 years and one fine day got caught with Bangla and I make polis report also no use... instead they tell me change lock set!! when I said what security I have here now?? They (polis) cannot do anything as long as there is no break in-  somemore she tell me she got married to him on way to Airport, i got a shock of my life..... she said it was solemnised in the mosque by some elderly person.... I said show me the document.... just a piece of paper which was in the Bangla language and some SIngapore Stamp on it (like in the old days we have Revenue Stamp) to make it look real - I told her BS!! .... this is just a fake paper for him to screw you ; Why you did not show the Police this paper, then i would have reconsidered ; She keep quiet       

• Praise 2

i want to believe majority of the maids come here to earn a living. As to good or bad maid, it is more of the matching. Some are good with children while others more on house works. I have seen some very young maids tasked to look after very young children. Obviously, if they don;t have the right experiences, how to take care of these young ones and house works?

For me, I preferred rejected maids. Key reasons, I get to see them in person and speak to them instead of the video clips with standard answers. Their body language will tell you if this is suitable for you. While we choose people, they are also choosing us. Due to survival, they have no choice but to accept any employer. If they are accepting a job they don't like, what happen?

To maid, it is a fair employment deal. Treat them like what you expect to be treated as an employee if you are one. She is just another family member once she come and live with you. That way, everyone will be happier. If things don't work out, split in an amicable way.

• Praise 4

Hypersonic

Elite doggie looking for maid?

All I can say is good luck finding a good one. It's like looking for a needle in the haystack.

Seriously, there is no 100% guarantee + chop + stamp GOOD...

It's all individual preference and expectations... and depends what is your priority e.g. good in cooking, take care elderly, take care kids, housework, etc...?

Just dun expect a maid to be Know-It-All.

Whatever biodata the agency give can be fake or exaggerated also.

Even if ex-Singapore maid also may not be of good standard.

For me, my parents rotated between Filipino and Indonesian maids for the past 20+ years.

Now I have my own family and I hired maid about 1 year ago.

I used Myanmar maids because they are cheaper. But the downside is vomit blood due to their lower level of English and mental reflexes. 

But 1 thing is for sure (if you trust me), dun go for young maids like 25 years or below. This group got lots of problems especially BF outside. Safer to go for older ones. Better still, go for married ones with kid(s).

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

let me chip in my experience so far. 1st time hire maid this year jan. so only abt 2 mths. but so far so gd, does what she is told n did the task quite efficiently. when me n wife was looking ard, we set out the criteria. we want one who has experience, but not in s'pore. this is to avoid the maid having any bad influences n friends here. but experienced to know what is expected of her.

2nd was we wanted a married maid, preferably with kids. this is so that she is more responsible n also knows how to take care of kids. but, not so old...fearing she may not have the strength or gets tired easily. 

we went for an agency with gd reviews. looked through their package n pricing. wife conducted an interview with the maid via skype. we did not want a transfer maid, so skype interview is the only way. wife was very worried of making a wrong choice, did some reading up for the do's n dont's for so many days. 

so we chose a 29yrs old helper, with prior experience in dubai, married with 1 kid. fits all our criteria. many are saying that once their loan is paid up, all the nonsense will start. so i have 6 more mths before knowing if this will turn out true or not.

• Praise 2

i want to believe majority of the maids come here to earn a living. As to good or bad maid, it is more of the matching. Some are good with children while others more on house works. I have seen some very young maids tasked to look after very young children. Obviously, if they don;t have the right experiences, how to take care of these young ones and house works?

For me, I preferred rejected maids. Key reasons, I get to see them in person and speak to them instead of the video clips with standard answers. Their body language will tell you if this is suitable for you. While we choose people, they are also choosing us. Due to survival, they have no choice but to accept any employer. If they are accepting a job they don't like, what happen?

To maid, it is a fair employment deal. Treat them like what you expect to be treated as an employee if you are one. She is just another family member once she come and live with you. That way, everyone will be happier. If things don't work out, split in an amicable way.

I always believe in that ..............maids are also human being............but sometimes we also just have to be very firm............. [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Elite doggie looking for maid?

All I can say is good luck finding a good one. It's like looking for a needle in the haystack.

↡ Advertisement