Sound-proofing a HDB room?

Albeniz

I was shopping around for a resale HDB housing and came across a flat which was quite ideal except for its close proximity to an MRT rail-line.

I am wondering if it is possible to sound-proof a bedroom so that the passing train would not disturb my sleep. How much would it typically cost and is it effective? Would appreciate if you could share your experience.

Edited by Albeniz
↡ Advertisement

You are right.

Change the windows and frame to heavy duty and double glaze.

The sound vibration will be absorbed by the heavy frame. And the double glaze glass, got a special middle laminate inbetween the two pieces of glass to absorbe vibration.

Then get a double layer certain, those heavy duty type with rubber backing!

Remember to also change your door, and add think layer of gaskets all around the door.

The bottOm part of the door, also need to seal with some 'hairy' seal.

The final addition is a super large carpet on the exposed floor!

Good luck in your house hunt!!!!

I was shopping around for a resale HDB housing and came across a flat which was quite ideal except for its close proximity to an MRT rail-line.

I am wondering if it is possible to sound-proof a bedroom so that the passing train would not disturb my sleep. How much would it typically cost and is it effective? Would appreciate if you could share your experience.

Try fasina windows. But do not know if they do for HDB, parents previous and current house got them to do and was informed they do for private or landed only. Maybe now rules change

Edited by Galantspeedz

It seems that curtains and carpets might be necessary to help absorb the noise.

Curtains and carpets are known to be dust magnets and I have a sensitive nose problem...

go beach road army market ... $2 should be able to get u a pair of decent ear plugs

cheap n good [:p]

Tried ear plugs during army days. Uncomfortable to sleep with something stuffed in the ears.

Like some had said, I feel the cheapest (will still cost you a lot of $$) and a more straight forward approach will be to have double-glazed window. But I believe you will not notice the notice after you have stay there for a while. I had gone thru that a few times having stayed in house that were located right beside a major road (load noise from heavy traffic and bike gang of the 70's and 80's after mid-nite shows ended), beside MRT track and station and beside a very busy railway track (train will pass by at very high speed at 5-15mins interval from 6am to 12am).

In the last instance, I couldn't stand it in the beginning, cos I couldn't hear anything when the train passes by. I have to stopped talking on the phone or I will missed a min. of sound from the TV. After about 2 weeks...I was not bothered at all and could follow the TV program entirely.

actually if the noise seem like a big issue to you. I suggest that you don't consider it. You are going to sleep in the bedroom day after day....do you intend not to even open the window if one night you feel that you don't want to on the air con? In my opinion, an ideal home is that it will not cause your problem, especially...a good night sleep...

• Praise 1

have you sat in the house and tested whether the sound of the passing MRT is really too loud for you? and probably you were concentrating on listening sound of the train while you were checking out the flat that's why you are aware of the sound.. when you really move in and have things to do at home at most points of time.. i guess you won't even realise those external environmental noises!

my house is at low level just beside a rather busy road with a primary school just nearby, can always hear kids shouting about during PE, school bells,many many car honkings especially during start and end of lessons everyday.. but somehow gotten used to it..

just my opinion.. if you really can't take environmental noises better don't get that flat..

same here... when just move into the house.. it was near a very big mosque.... every morning 6am... they will start the prayer... it was really low... but now... after years... i just sleep through the whole prayer session.... either i increase my tolerance... or they lower their PA system...

You will get use to it after a while.

I used to live near the KTM rail line. The sound was much louder than that made by the MRT. At times, the stupxd KTM train driver would horn while approaching, those long and "aggressive" one, in the middle of the night or early morning. But I just slept through.

I kinda miss that KTM train noise, now that the train service had been terminated. [laugh]

sound can be insulated ,but how about vibration? I ever been to a 5rm flat at Yishun,when the train was coming, I can feel the vibration and the owner was asking 35K Cov,even if he

My Soundproof windows done by were FANTASTIC! Compared a few suppliers and found that this factory-direct contractor's price is the most reasonable. Now I can have my peaceful sleep without the noise from the MRT tracks just right out of my windows.

Very sincere contractor. They even helped to check and lubricated all my windows' hinges without additional charges, due to safety issues. Would recommend him if anyone looking for windows and grilles contractors. Below is his contact:-

How many rooms did you do up and how much was it?

↡ Advertisement