Tires enquiries

Condor82

hi, can i check wat the difference a driver can feel when he change a tire profile from 215/45/17 to 225/45/17

interm of.

-FC (which is better)

-Noise (which is better)

-pickup/top speed? (will it affect)

Assuming using same brand and model of tires. only profile different

↡ Advertisement

hi, can i check wat the difference a driver can feel when he change a tire profile from 215/45/17 to 225/45/17

interm of.

-FC (which is better)

-Noise (which is better)

Of course 215 is better (assuming everything else the same). but road noise is affected by tyre design. Bigger blocks of rubber designed to provide better grip will have more noise.

Broader tyres will have more rolling friction and hence worse FC and pickup.

interm of.

-FC (which is better)

-Noise (which is better)

The difference will be minimal since is 1 size up and moreover the same brand and model but for some brands, there will be a noticeably price difference.

My advice is many times car owners upgrade the tyres and when is abt time to change, machiam they got the shock of their life. If car owners cannot tahan the price difference, suggest remain the same size or even downgrade. Want low low wide wide profile tyre but cannot afford when replacing, seriously such car owners CMI.....

from what i read. seem 215/45/17 have far more benefit then 225/45/17.

lower fc, faster pick up, etc

why is a 225/45/17 more ex then?

No differences can be felt. If you change new 215 to new 225.

But many people change from old tyres to new tyres, so they feel the difference, and always think the newer tyre is better.

The diameter is bigger, so the perceived fuel consumption is worst off, which in actual fact the car is traveling more distance due to the bigger diameter!

215 and 225 is very very small differences in width. In fact different brands of 215 and 225 may be same width, just have to check the detailed specs sheet.

Pick up is due to rotational Monent of the weight of the tyre. Again have to compare the detailed specs sheet to get the answer.

from what i read. seem 215/45/17 have far more benefit then 225/45/17.

lower fc, faster pick up, etc

why is a 225/45/17 more ex then?

225 is more wider than 215, so manufacturers may increase the cost due to increase in amt of raw materials used or can be even a product and pricing strategy. However there are times, smaller size can be ex as well. this may depends on various factors such as limited stocks, uncommon size etc

personally i feel that bigger tyres must be able to match the engine capacity/power of the car. if a 1.6-1.8l car fits a 18" tyre and a 2.5l car and above fits a 18" tyre, which car will suffer in terms of FC, pickup?

Ok.. then what is the advantage of putting up a bigger profile tire.. isit more grippy as more surface area in touch with ground?

what the advantage.

I have a friend whom change stock rims (16") to 17" first thing he drove out from AD.

Original 16": 195/55/16.

New 17": 215/45/17.

F/C about 9.5km per liter.

Once he was in camp, dad skid the car, drove immediate to a shop, traded in the tires for a 15".

Paid over $700 for lousy tires, rims and including the trade in of the 17" (kanna carrot).

Current: 185/65/15

F/C the same. and yet kanna carrot, lousy Dunlop tires, lousy rims (like chrome hub)....

http://www.rimsntires.com/rt_specs.jsp;jse...215/45-17%5burl

There is a calculation on the braking friction grip.

Bigger surface area, means less force per unit area, meaning less grip on the asphalt. Compared to a smaller surface area tyre.

Meaning wider tyres has lesser pressure per area to push/squeeze the water from the thread. Meaning easier to aqua plane.

Wider tyre is only good for stability at high speed and lower temp rise.

Ok.. then what is the advantage of putting up a bigger profile tire.. isit more grippy as more surface area in touch with ground?

what the advantage.

Some say, overall grips improves.

However if that you increase too much, it might Hydroplaning/aquaplaning.

I like it because of the looks for upgrading but not too much.

But if that it already on stock 17"/18", I will not upgrade further as it is already big already.

what the advantage.

For each advantage that you can think of will become disadvantage if FC and pickup speed are your main concerns

advantage- wider surface means road holding is enhanced (it depends on thread design), more stable when comes to cornering. looks good n aggressive, the vehicle is much suited for a wider tyre etc

As matter of fact, only those car owners who do not care abt FC, tyre price and pick-up speed is because they have the $$$ to pay for petrol, they pay for the quality and their car is of reasonably well specced, and they probably care abt having the good looks on the car and good road holding. For a normal bloke who has to work hard to upkeep the car, is much better off sticking to factory default size, in this way, it will stretch every single cents n dollars for the bloke....

owning a car in SG is always a luxury and never a bread n butter cos there is always BMW+Taxi

Edited by Help1

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/

http://www.tyrepac.com/Form/B2C/Home.aspx?cc=sg

Hey TS,

Please check out the above link.

Basically, 225/45/17 and 215/45/17 have the same diameter just that the wide of the tyres are wider for 225mm. You have more contact area with a wider tyres which will mean you will get better grip but higher fiction with the road as well. Likely the FC will increase as a result. You would probably have to look at clearance of the wheel to make sure that the 225 is not too wide and it will hit the wheel arch.

My suggestion is for you to go to the tyrepac website to confirm which size of tyres suits your car make/model.

Finally, prices of tyres is dependent on the sizes but also whether the size that you wanted is a common or rare size. Common size meant more are available in the market and economy of size will tell you that higher demand/higher supply, price is likely to be lower.

As for noise, it will depend on the types of tyres that you are looking for ...ie comfort or performance tyres. There is usually a compromise, performance tyres is likely to be more noisy compared to comfort tyres. There are some manufacturers that claim that their is a good mix of both but they are likely to be expensive. Finally, all new tyres will be quiet but get noiser when the rubber hardens.

Edited by Civic6228

i hit the NSH often.. usually at high speeds.. so my priority is stability and also at corners..

thus 225 is for me...

100% msian petrol... FC is not my first priority.

unless you change the rim size... FC is highly dependant on your right foot and your driving pattern in this case. 225 wun lose out much on 215. wun be 1km/litre difference ba?

but 215/45 is better in terms of comfort.

Ultimately it depends on your priorities to determine your chosen tyre profile.

Cheers

I have a friend whom change stock rims (16") to 17" first thing he drove out from AD.

Once he was in camp, dad skid the car, drove immediate to a shop, traded in the tires for a 15".

Paid over $700 for lousy tires, rims and including the trade in of the 17" (kanna carrot).

Faint.... :blink::blink::ph34r:

Edited by Redplanet

between 215/45/17 and 225/45/17, i will choose 225.

only the tyres touch the ground.

225 is wider and more grip, stable drive.

with the same make/model, 225 will also last longer.

but then again, both are relatively the same.

No differences can be felt. If you change new 215 to new 225.

But many people change from old tyres to new tyres, so they feel the difference, and always think the newer tyre is better.

The diameter is bigger, so the perceived fuel consumption is worst off, which in actual fact the car is traveling more distance due to the bigger diameter!

215 and 225 is very very small differences in width. In fact different brands of 215 and 225 may be same width, just have to check the detailed specs sheet.

Pick up is due to rotational Monent of the weight of the tyre. Again have to compare the detailed specs sheet to get the answer.

If the tire advertising 225 is of the same width as another tire with 215, i suggest you give up on that tire altogether. I haven't yet heard of such a possibility.

↡ Advertisement