A better car ownership system

Rubberstamp

In my opinion, i think the below will help make the system better. Impossible to get a perfect system.

But first to dispel some myths (repeated many times but some seem too blur to actually comprehend)

A. With higher COE prices, the govt may not neccesarily make a bigger profit. I have not done the maths but the gain in price is offset by the reduction in the number of COEs. Futhermore they lose out on road taxes and ERP revenue.

B. Higher prices doesnt lead to less cars. At the moment govt is still allowing for population growth. So as long as all COEs are snapped up, the number of cars will grow.

So i think the Singapore govt should

(1) Increase the price of ERP. Increase it to the level where it becomes painful to cross a gantry. A ballpark figure that comes to mind is something like $8 to $25 depending on time and location

(2) Increase the number of gantries to other popular roads that are often congested. Roads like Lornie, Loyang Ave, Balestier road etc...this will inevitabley push traffic to other roads. Of course these roads then become congested. But bear in mind these are all mitigating measures which WILL NOT solve the problem as long as population increases.

(3) Increase the road tax. More increase especially for higher CC cars.

- Eg: $1 per cc for cars up to 1600cc (per year)

$1.25 per cc for cars between 1600cc to 2000cc

$2.00 per cc for cars between 2000cc to 3000cc

$2.50 per cc for cars above 3000cc

(4) Let the COE system remain as it is.

(5) Increase the PARF rebate.

Feel free to add on - i believe many of you have better ideas.

But my intention is to make car ownership and usage more expensive. And more so for high CC cars.

So that those who can only marginally afford a car will now no longer be able to afford one. They will then have no choice but to take public transport.

Singapore public transport is already very good. First class has no definition. But as it is, it is easily accessible and easily affordable to the mass public. To me this is first class. You can get to almost anywhere within 90min, and to me this is first class. Trains are clean, are airconditoned, have a good safety record, and to me this is first class.

Edited by Rubberstamp
↡ Advertisement

Nope.

but i think PAP is doing a good job

If it is a good job, you will not be here airing your opinion how to resolve the problem [laugh].

Regards,

• Praise 2

If it is a good job, you will not be here airing your opinion how to resolve the problem [laugh].

Regards,

no govt is perfect. problems will always be there.

problems have arose before and the way our govt dealt with it, i believe is good. Hence my feel that govt has done a good job.

Now there are new problems. and so our govt will need to deal with it again. With the help of its citizens, i believe they will find a middle ground to best handle the situation

Have you missed the boat ride?

Need not to say your comments are just cut, edit & paste here.

No constructive meaning to curb car ownership expect to increase the prices making unafforable for middle class therefore lower less cars on the roads.

[sleeping][sleeping][sleeping]

The solution to curb car ownership and to successfully encourage people to take public transport is to increase the public transport capacity, which presently seems unable to cope with peak hour commuter traffic.

In my opinion, i think the below will help make the system better. Impossible to get a perfect system.

But first to dispel some myths (repeated many times but some seem too blur to actually comprehend)

A. With higher COE prices, the govt may not neccesarily make a bigger profit. I have not done the maths but the gain in price is offset by the reduction in the number of COEs. Futhermore they lose out on road taxes and ERP revenue.

B. Higher prices doesnt lead to less cars. At the moment govt is still allowing for population growth. So as long as all COEs are snapped up, the number of cars will grow.

(1) Increase the price of ERP. Increase it to the level where it becomes painful to cross a gantry. A ballpark figure that comes to mind is something like $8 to $25 depending on time and location

(2) Increase the number of gantries to other popular roads that are often congested. Roads like Lornie, Loyang Ave, Balestier road etc...this will inevitabley push traffic to other roads. Of course these roads then become congested. But bear in mind these are all mitigating measures which WILL NOT solve the problem as long as population increases.

But my intention is to make car ownership and usage more expensive. And more so for high CC cars.

So that those who can only marginally afford a car will now no longer be able to afford one. They will then have no choice but to take public transport.

Singapore public transport is already very good. First class has no definition. But as it is, it is easily accessible and easily affordable to the mass public. To me this is first class. You can get to almost anywhere within 90min, and to me this is first class. Trains are clean, are airconditoned, have a good safety record, and to me this is first class.

than u dun drive lor.

Yesterday hor, my friend suggest employ many many white ants, TPs, or whatever everywhere, and catch catch catch summon summon summon no panchan then many people lose their 24 points and cannot drive. No license, no driving, no cause jam.

Your nick makes a lot more sense after reading your post.

haha...

so in your view, Mr. Requiemdk, what will make the system better?

What will you do if you have full autonomy over the system?

care to share?

Edited by Rubberstamp

wah lan ehhh... buey sian meh. everyone now starting thread to suggest car ownership scheme ideas [rolleyes]

problem is, your suggestion is a waste of time becos it will not be implemented UNLESS YOU ARE THE MINISTAR [laugh] [laugh]

hey bro are u nuts?

from reading what u suggest im sure that u don`t drive or own a car

a person who drive and own a car wont give this kind of "suggestion"

unless u work for the govt

help to build erp or something

those contractor i guess

if not than u are really a nut case [wave]

Increasing ERP to $25 will affect those middle class people whom drive to work. However political, the ruling party will have to step down as votes will be lost. Just pure milking.

Are your talking sense with your point? Encourage ERP yet mentioning that it will not solve the problem.

Does it make a difference in jam if that you have a QQ infront or a 2.5T car?

Actually the QQ should be tax more as the pick up speed is slow and uses more time on the roads.

Example, a 2.5T car is infront of a QQ at the traffic lights. The first car speed off and the QQ still waiting for christmas?

= lesser tax/cost = more refund. You mean increase ARF is it?

You can see that car ownership is not affected by prices as many still go to showroom to buy a car with COE at 70K.

Will there be any difference by increasing tax just like COE?

If that your intention is so, have you thought about the ruling party?

Ruling party needs a goose that lay the eggs and let the eggs hatch before killing the goose.

If that you kill the goose in the first place to enjoy the meat, you will end up with nothing.

You are stepping back into the stone age.

You had not be in business that every secs count.

Maybe you go treat yourself a movie like Wall Street or Pursuit of Happiness and you understand TIME DOES NOT WAIT FOR NO ONE.

Edited by Vhtfhwlego

Y u so mafan increase this and that? U just wan to make majority of people cannot afford to buy a car right? Easy lah, COE starting bid $500K. Then all the ERP or what all can bring down liao, waste money to built.

↡ Advertisement