Making traffic situation better, let's discuss

Sgnick

Hi,

seeing how traffic is already bad and probably not going to get much better, especially traffic towards the business centers like CBD, etc, let's brainstorm on how to improve traffic situation in Singapore.

My own opinion, which may not be a good idea but open for discussion, is that Singapore is so bloody small, so why must we designate like residential area (housing+malls) and business areas (CBD, Tampines, Business Parks, etc)?

Why can't they just treat the whole of Singapore as a metopolis and allow big tall office buildings to be errected everywhere, maybe with the criteria that must be close to MRT stations. So eg, office buildings near every station that currently no office building nearby, just sell one plot of land near each station for erecting a couple of office buildings, instead of reserve everything for flats/condo/malls/shops.

I do see offices at Toa Payoh, Bishan, Tampines, but I feel is not enough.

Wouldn't this disperse out the businesses and traffic? And also make more people switch to use public transport or even walk to work?

Of cos, I am not a qualified city planner, only played SimCity when young, so i won't know the issues and obstacles that comes with my idea, maybe by spreading will make more difficult for businesses to operate or other cons or devalue the CBD properties badly or inflat HDB prices etc?

↡ Advertisement

we should get rid of paya lebar air base and matter of fact all air bases n put them in one of the island except for those used by helicopters. with jets going supersonic how slow can it cover the whole of sg? n how many golf courses do we frankly need in land scarce sg.....how many courses can u find in new york or any major cities? they will surely free up a substantial space for the 6 mill the miw wants as citizens and we will have more space for development. [nod] .

My own opinion, which may not be a good idea but open for discussion, is that Singapore is so bloody small, so why must we designate like residential area (housing+malls) and business areas (CBD, Tampines, Business Parks, etc)?

The reason like to make resident travel and use the public transport.

So public transport operator make big money.

LOL, good one

hahahahaha....and the reclaim lands, the southern islands is for the black gold one, or ports, or the filthy rich.

the whole predicament we are in now is because the main island is too small, w/o any natural resources, coupled with the crazy pace of "progression", "development", "inflation", just name it.

anyway, money makes the world go round is indeed very true and is how we are all operating now (forget the bulls|t about being green, increase productivity, blah blah blah), and is totally not sustainable, mankind is simply accelerating our own fall and destruction, I cant see any other way we are going at the moment. Well maybe not in my life time, maybe my kid's, or a few gens down the line.

Someone once said in the Copenhagen summit (something like that): "If the natural environment/other earth is the financial institutions, it jolly well would have been saved now".

Look at the big picture, the whole world is like that, not only on our tiny island.

And the more you possess and desire, the bigger the trap you fall into, so must learn to be happy and content.

Or come here and kpkb to release stress lah ya....

Hi,

seeing how traffic is already bad and probably not going to get much better, especially traffic towards the business centers like CBD, etc, let's brainstorm on how to improve traffic situation in Singapore.

Why can't they just treat the whole of Singapore as a metopolis and allow big tall office buildings to be errected everywhere, maybe with the criteria that must be close to MRT stations. So eg, office buildings near every station that currently no office building nearby, just sell one plot of land near each station for erecting a couple of office buildings, instead of reserve everything for flats/condo/malls/shops.

I do see offices at Toa Payoh, Bishan, Tampines, but I feel is not enough.

Wouldn't this disperse out the businesses and traffic? And also make more people switch to use public transport or even walk to work?

Of cos, I am not a qualified city planner, only played SimCity when young, so i won't know the issues and obstacles that comes with my idea, maybe by spreading will make more difficult for businesses to operate or other cons or devalue the CBD properties badly or inflat HDB prices etc?

I'll just say that great minds think alike -_-

The way to reduce traffic in Singapore is to do away with this concept of "City" and "Residential" areas.

No matter how wide the roads are made or how many MRT lines are built, our little island simply cannot allow 3 million people to squeeze to the center/south of Singapore in the mornings and likewise squeeze back out during the evenings.

As small as it is, the entire island should be a mix of work and residential areas. The majority of us should be able to walk to our work place and do away with the need to take transport in the first place.

I shook my head when I saw PM Lee presenting the sibeh complicated future MRT road map during his NDP rally. I don't think it will solve the problem. Raymond Lim cannot solve the problem. Mah Bow Tan is the one that can solve the problem. [:p]

sorry to those who have heard this before...

The reason why COEs need to be limited is because of the jams on our roads.

In line with what bro Meepok87 said, I think that no matter how we upgrade our roads or public transport system, they won't be able to accommodate millions of people squeezing to the central/south of Singapore in the mornings, and squeezing out in the evenings.

I think the solution is to avoid the need to take transport in the first place. We need to do away with the concept of "city" and "suburbs." If people could walk to their workplace, I think the vast majority of people would.

Sadly, I think LTA/MOT has been trying very hard to solve our transport problems, but I think it is URA/HDB/MND who can redesign our little red dot and do away with the need to travel in the first place.

think I've shared this before. Sorry to those who've seen it.

I was privy to an assessment by LTA to build a brand new North-South highway parallel to CTE. Investment would be in the Trillions over many many years. The analysis was that this would save travelling time on the CTE by (...wait for it...)... 5 minutes <_<

So I again share my view that it is not about how many roads we build or how many MRT tracks we have or how many buses we have. In this "little red dot" that we live in, the land mass simply cannot accomodate millions of people squeezing to the center/south of the island during the mornings and squeezing out during the evenings...

I think the way to address our traffic woes is to eliminate the need for transportation in the first place. I suggest that if people can walk to their offices from their homes, most of us would.

This means that we need to do away with the concept of "city" and "suburbs" in this little island that we live on. It also means that the Ministry of Transportation cannot solve our transportation problems. It is the Ministry of National Development that can better locate our offices and homes and hence do away with the need for transportation in the first place...

even if you got rid of the city and residential areas you'll create a new problem where people live in boon lay and have to travel to pasir ris to work

that'd be worst don't you think?

the solution is to limit the population, don't chew off more than you can swallow

instead of having a 5 million population consisting of 3 million foreign trash (prostitutes, customer service personnel)

we could have a 2 or even 1 million population consisting of experts and truely be a knowledge and financial hub

staggered working hours will help too, to be a real financial hub we should have companies and a workforce capable of working 24hrs round the clock

it should be the norm to have a shift starting at 1am and ending at 9am and shopping centers be open 24/7

makes sense doesn't it to shop at nights and sleep during the day in hot singapore?

No need to congratulate yourselves on this brillant plan,

First ask yourself who stands to lose the most with this type of zonal planning,

Then ask yourself why the scholars never thought of it,

Then ask again why some scholars climb faster than others,

Finally, realise that the scholars that climb the fastest ask themselves the first question.

even if you got rid of the city and residential areas you'll create a new problem where people live in boon lay and have to travel to pasir ris to work

the solution is to limit the population, don't chew off more than you can swallow

instead of having a 5 million population consisting of 3 million foreign trash (prostitutes, customer service personnel)

we could have a 2 or even 1 million population consisting of experts and truely be a knowledge and financial hub

staggered working hours will help too, to be a real financial hub we should have companies and a workforce capable of working 24hrs round the clock

it should be the norm to have a shift starting at 1am and ending at 9am and shopping centers be open 24/7

makes sense doesn't it to shop at nights and sleep during the day in hot singapore?

the point was that people who work in boon lay should be allowed to stay in boon lay... and vice versa...

limiting the population equates to limiting GDP... and expertz (misspelling intended) cannot survive without "trash" people... ^_^

also, not many people will be willing to work the "graveyard" shift... [:p]

First ask yourself who stands to lose the most with this type of zonal planning,

Finally, realise that the scholars that climb the fastest ask themselves the first question.

i suppose you're coming from a "political" angle... but I don't see this great "loss" you're referring to...

the point was that people who work in boon lay should be allowed to stay in boon lay... and vice versa...

limiting the population equates to limiting GDP... and expertz (misspelling intended) cannot survive without "trash" people... ^_^

also, not many people will be willing to work the "graveyard" shift... [:p]

If the pay for those working the graveyard shift is comparable to other 'genuine' first-world countries, I believe many Singaporeans are willing to join. ^_^

We definitely can survive without 'trash' people if those 'trash' jobs offer higher pay/benefits. In Australia/NZ, trash collectors earn at least 3k a month, while fastfood or petrol station cashier can earn as much as $20 an hour.

Edited by C-K

If the pay for those working the graveyard shift is comparable to other 'genuine' first-world countries, I believe many Singaporeans are willing to join. ^_^

We definitely can survive without 'trash' people if those 'trash' jobs offer higher pay/benefits. In Australia/NZ, trash collectors earn at least 3k a month, while fastfood or petrol station cashier can earn as much as $20 an hour.

Eve seen a chinaman selling local chicken rice? Why do need a foreigner to sell a local delicacy? Once MOM lets these people come in...he drives our own local chicken rice seller out of job, he pushes up property prices as he needs a roof over his head, he adds to the population and traffic congestion, he contributes to COE increase as he now wants to drive an audi, he adds to local inflation as he attempts to bring his whole 3 generation family over for the 'good life' and ups consumption,..and HIS CHICKEN RICE SUCKS. [rifle]

1st -> Gahmen sure loses lots of $$$ from COE, public transport, prime area HDB, etc

then -> they've thought of it. They have a solution to address every problem the society is now facing.

then -> Bcos they help gahmen generate more income than others. However, in most cases, some claim faster than others due to connections.

Hope my answers are correct [:p]

Eve seen a chinaman selling local chicken rice? Why do need a foreigner to sell a local delicacy? Once MOM lets these people come in...he drives our own local chicken rice seller out of job, he pushes up property prices as he needs a roof over his head, he adds to the population and traffic congestion, he contributes to COE increase as he now wants to drive an audi, he adds to local inflation as he attempts to bring his whole 3 generation family over for the 'good life' and ups consumption,..and HIS CHICKEN RICE SUCKS. [rifle]

[thumbsup]

For your work in tuas stay in east, is not a new situation, it already happening now.

Many people do choose where they want to work, especially when they take public. Eg, now, most people that works in TUAS don't stay at the other extreme end of Singapore, and people who stay in east or north east tries not to find work in TUAS.

Edited by Sgnick
↡ Advertisement