Sound proof DIY

Stanchiam

(edited)

may i ask so you took the front and back seat and remove all the carpet to expose the bare metal then you stick the new sound deadener?

you cut the size according to floor shape or it was by default the shape?

very interesting and nice work.

I will try to use the whole piece, on corners or small left over area, will need to cut out the size/shape

after this DIY, back and wheel area no more sound, have to rest first before completing the rest.

Edited by Stanchiam
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Hi

Nice work done. Please monitor the quality of the butyl and the foam. the nice weather we are having these few days will not be able to put the material to good test. How about the smell? Is there a kind of chemical or paint smell after installing?

I had personally seen melting butyl and "rotting" foam and the consequences are not something one would like to see. Only one word can describe...MESSY!!!

Looking forward to see more updates from you and other bros who had bought the materials from you.

I am those type that hate to do DIY unless no other choices. Maybe the freelance guy who did for me is not charging me that high. 4 doors plus wheel arches all 2 layers for only $350-400 is considered cheap for me Can be done within 2 nights and using korean materials.

Neutral Newbie

Very Interesting..Hey, I have a honda fit 08,so many piece do i required? and how much? by the way do you got any members that can do for me?

I will try to use the whole piece, on corners or small left over area, will need to cut out the size/shape

after this DIY, back and wheel area no more sound, have to rest first before completing the rest.

nice... what you use to paste the SD and the foam?

and is there any purpose for foam since SD is the main element to eliminate sound.

and u put back the carpet right?

(edited)

nice... what you use to paste the SD and the foam?

and is there any purpose for foam since SD is the main element to eliminate sound.

and u put back the carpet right?

I use hand to paste and a metal roller to roll it to the surface tightly.

SD can only stop the rattle and prevent some sound.

In order to be perfect, the 10mm foam will prevent sound from outside to penetrate through the SD.

Foam will also absorb sound internally. So if u have ICE, it will sound much better.

For me I kiasu and the foam is very cheap. Might as well do it well, sticking foam only less than 15mins, pasting SD take me 3hrs cause need to roll it onto the surface.

ok, just imagine u have a wall to block off sound, but if u have foam pasted onto the wall, any remaining sound will be gone, block off and absorb.

Hi i jus saw this thread as new to this forum, can i still add order? and how much roughly is the shipping?

Shipping is cheap since i was doing GB, 1 cubic meter for $130. 1 box 40pcs of mat only 0.05 cbm(estimated)

If do GB, think can ship 30 boxes each with 40pcs of mat for $130.

Currently no GB. Maybe in the future or if there is alot of interest, i will consider helping.

Very Interesting..Hey, I have a honda fit 08,so many piece do i required? and how much? by the way do you got any members that can do for me?

Dont know but u can estimate, usually 80 pcs enough for whole car.

For my boot and back sit, i used only 16 pcs mat, foam 5.5pcs.

Hi

Nice work done. Please monitor the quality of the butyl and the foam. the nice weather we are having these few days will not be able to put the material to good test. How about the smell? Is there a kind of chemical or paint smell after installing?

I had personally seen melting butyl and "rotting" foam and the consequences are not something one would like to see. Only one word can describe...MESSY!!!

Looking forward to see more updates from you and other bros who had bought the materials from you.

I am those type that hate to do DIY unless no other choices. Maybe the freelance guy who did for me is not charging me that high. 4 doors plus wheel arches all 2 layers for only $350-400 is considered cheap for me Can be done within 2 nights and using korean materials.

So far so good for me, no problem. No smell after installing.

Edited by Stanchiam

So far so good for me, no problem. No smell after installing.

hi bro,

Did you use glue to paste the insulating sheet to the aluminium backed SD? So far how's the effect? Reduce noise significantly?

:)

Seriously,

Did you guys actually weigh those SP material prior to application? How many KG in total have you added to the car? Just curious.

Regards,

(edited)

hi bro,

Did you use glue to paste the insulating sheet to the aluminium backed SD? So far how's the effect? Reduce noise significantly?

:)

I do not use any glue, the SD is ultra sticky. The effect my personal feel is very good, as if the back become silent.

Once I complete the front, engine and 4 doors, I will post feedback.

Now i can only hear front engine and front wheel. Maybe because the SD itself is thick and the foam very thick, so sound cannot travel through the combo.

Seriously, i think the foam itself at 10mm thick is enough to block off sound, but with SD even better cause it will stop rattle and block sound too and the SD can protect the foam from heat.

Seriously,

Did you guys actually weigh those SP material prior to application? How many KG in total have you added to the car? Just curious.

Regards,

I weight the SD, one box 40pcs, about 15kg. So far i used about 15pcs. As for the foam, can ignore cause its so light.

Hi Stanley still got time to diy soundproofing never celebrate CNY :D

BTW good job and nicely done [laugh]

Thanks, I feel very shiok after pasting the SD, the surface become shiny and cold due to the aluminum.

After pasting the foam, no more shine but even better for sound proofing.

Edited by Stanchiam

I even paste the SD onto my engine bay cover where it is very hot, about 1 week plus, so far so good, no melting and it stick there unmovable...lol

Very satisfy with the quality and thickness.

Edited by Stanchiam

bro stanley,

thank for diy photos of the rear car is very tempting. instead of just wheel arch, i may go for the whole flooring sound deadening mat & insulation foam you showed me at your place. will calculate and feed back to you soon for the potential GB. ... [;)]

bro stanley,

thank for diy photos of the rear car is very tempting. instead of just wheel arch, i may go for the whole flooring sound deadening mat & insulation foam you showed me at your place. will calculate and feed back to you soon for the potential GB. ... [;)]

It is tiring, 2nd phase for the front i take about 6hrs, most of the time is spent on slowly dismantling the seat, carpet etc.

If there is another person to help, it will definitely help to speed up alot.

By the way, i uploaded my DIY pictures to here my DIY Sound proofing

I find that the front SP is very poor and the engine sound come from there, the firewall area.

But I dare not dismantle the front to DIY the SP. Maybe next time after doing some research.

Now can only hear engine sound and front wheel which travel through the firewall from the front.

Firewall SP is a must!!

Woow, you super hands on.

This was mentioned by a bro in this thread so i echo his advice again, please check that the materials do not disintegrate, its going to be messy and your efforts short lived.

All the best for your SP project.

ya, i have pasted the SD on the engine cover, if it disintegrate i will know first hand since it is the hottest in the car.

So far so good, no differences.

sometime advice can listen while sometime cannot unless that person also uses the same product and brand and experienced what they said.

else it just left side in, mostly right side out with some pinch of salt.

due to listening some bros advice that spring stiffener is useless or will even spoil your car, i bought only the back wheel and DIY.

Regret listening and I should have bought the front too.

The differences is very obvious for my car, can safely cross hump now.

Before the DIY, back passenger will be "shock" if i cross the hump a little faster.

Now its the soft feeling after the DIY.

Edited by Stanchiam

whats the total weight of all your sheets of sound proofing material? Did u weigh them or estimate the weight? Putting all that into your QQ will have adverse effect on its acceleration/handling?

whats the total weight of all your sheets of sound proofing material? Did u weigh them or estimate the weight? Putting all that into your QQ will have adverse effect on its acceleration/handling?

I weight them. As i said, SD weight about 15kg for 1 box 40pcs.

The foam can ignore cause its so light, 1 foam 100gm perhaps.

I have used about 45pcs SD and 10 foam for the entire floor, no adverse effect for the added 17kg.

Maybe I should take out the spare tire, that thing weight about 20kg

Will replace it with a tire repair kit and pump instead.

↡ Advertisement