Life Span of CVT Gearbox

Yahgo22

If the owners do take care of the oil changes I am positively sure the failures will be minimal, though the question if the gearbox is as durable as the standard auto is questionable, as many sites have indicated that a well cared CVT gearbox has a lifespan of 120-160K km, while an standard box will last far longer with minimal maintenance!

Are the above infos true?

My Airwave gearbox just gameover at 220 000 km.

A mechanic I spoke to told me that this is a very common problem.

One of his customer's Odyssey game over at 160 000km.

Edited by Lightsabre
↡ Advertisement

If the owners do take care of the oil changes I am positively sure the failures will be minimal, though the question if the gearbox is as durable as the standard auto is questionable, as many sites have indicated that a well cared CVT gearbox has a lifespan of 120-160K km, while an standard box will last far longer with minimal maintenance!

Wah... can last 220k not bad liao. My previous Airwave lasted only 62+k and got noise coming out liao.

then how much it cost you ?

New gearbox should be around 3k while used one maybe 1.5k. That was the price quoted to me when I enquired for my previous Airwave. In the end, I never replaced but sold the car off. Haha...

I think it is quite impressive that your gearbox can last that long. You have must done preventive maintenance by changing ATF fluid at stipulated servicing intervals. [thumbsup]

Used one imported from Japan.

$1.8k inclusive of labour.

Any chances of saving it?

How about opinion from specialized workshops like Khang Auto?

My Estima's '7 speed' CVT gave way at 70++k km. Couldnt get it fixed. To get a new one approx. $20k. No 2nd hand CVT Gearbox available yet.... siazn....

My coltplus 6speed CVT noise started at 30k+ totally dead at 61k. Overhaul it, but lucky only changed 2 barings. 1 of baring broken in pieces another 1 broken soon but lucky never hurt the pulley. Total damage $1.1k. If replace used 2nd hand gearbox will cost $3k+.

(edited)

Any chances of saving it?

How about opinion from specialized workshops like Khang Auto?

A total overhaul of my gearbox will cost close to $3k.

I normally change my GB oil abt 30 000km interval.

Edited by Yahgo22

Audiorook, try calling ellipseauto transmission @ 64560090, they will settle your issue at a fraction of the price. Look for uncle Meng.

Edited by Elviskua

A fren of mine driving colt version r auto cvt....

His mileage more than 100k...cvt still very gd with no problem

He likes to track at pg n sic...but I was surprise till now his cvt still running strong...

He changes cvt oil every 40k...dunno wat is his secret in maintaining the cvt

A fren of mine driving colt version r auto cvt....

His mileage more than 100k...cvt still very gd with no problem

He likes to track at pg n sic...but I was surprise till now his cvt still running strong...

He changes cvt oil every 40k...dunno wat is his secret in maintaining the cvt

Mine is also CVT. My mileage is more than 100k.

I do preventive maintenance by changing the CVT fluid at 30k servicing interval.

After overhaul my GB, my mechanic also advised me change oil at every 30k interval.

My 1st oil changed was 40k, 2nd changed at 58k cos oil turn brown so quickly changed but end up dead at 61k

↡ Advertisement