Life Span of CVT Gearbox

Yahgo22

I'm driving a 2005 Dec Vtec Honda City with a CVT gb. Car is due for scrap Dec 2015 and have done 280,000km and still going strong but sad have to trade-in for a Toyota Wish Elegance. If you take care not to abused and do regular CVTF change there shouldn't be any problem with the CVT GB. My colleague told me CVT GB will kapoot at 120,000km. Well i proved him wrong. :)

I carry out oil change for every 30k

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Newbie in mycarforum.com

Edited by paddychs
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

From my experience on FD2, don't listen to hearsay to replace your gearbox. It doesn't work for Honda. I believe the same to rest of the car maker. The ECU will not register a different gearbox. You need to re-initialize the whole gearbox with ECU. No many mechanic know how to do this.

The best is overhaul the gearbox. Change all the solenoids 4 each, O-rings and clutch pad. Once done, the gearbox will performance the best like new. You'll feel the difference in acceleration. For Japanese car, mileage above 200,000KM is worth consider to overhaul the gearbox.

To extend your COE, it up to individual if your car is still reliable and good running condition.

What is the right way of driving a CVT to ensure longevity?

1) Shd or shd not shift from D to N when stopped for a while?

2) Shift to P then off engine or off engine then shift to P?

Any other tips CVT?

Driving CVT is like driving any normal AT.

1. Keep the cvt to D always. Not nec to shift to N when stopped at red light.

2. Put to P than turn off engine when parked.

3. Like any AT ensure car complete stop before changing gear.

Cheers

What is the right way of driving a CVT to ensure longevity?

1) Shd or shd not shift from D to N when stopped for a while?

2) Shift to P then off engine or off engine then shift to P?

Any other tips CVT?

1) no need to shift to N if for a short period

2) shift to P than switch off engine

3) change CVT every 20km

4) I added ATF cooler

5) gradual acceleration from stop. CVTs are quite fragile

CVT gearbox for my previous ride works fine. Good as new. [thumbsup] 

Bro how to re initializes the GB w ECU?

Reset the ECU?

interesting :-)

Btw is cvt n cvvt the same?

Thanks

From my experience on FD2, don't listen to hearsay to replace your gearbox. It doesn't work for Honda. I believe the same to rest of the car maker. The ECU will not register a different gearbox. You need to re-initialize the whole gearbox with ECU. No many mechanic know how to do this.

The best is overhaul the gearbox. Change all the solenoids 4 each, O-rings and clutch pad. Once done, the gearbox will performance the best like new. You'll feel the difference in acceleration. For Japanese car, mileage above 200,000KM is worth consider to overhaul the gearbox.

To extend your COE, it up to individual if your car is still reliable and good running condition.

Edited by Simpleonly

3) change CVT every 20km

4) I added ATF cooler

5) gradual acceleration from stop. CVTs are quite fragile

I can do up to 4 but 5 is tough for me, I like to rev hard, pick up speed quickly and cruise at certain high speed whenever possible..hehe..

To reinitialise between ECU and gearbox, I believe you need the software from Honda to do. Unfortunately, many mechanic do not have the software.

I presume from technical term, the ECU must communicate with gearbox. This was configured in factory assembly line and the GB will engage gear shift according to acceleration and deceleration.

Contrary to this, if you change a gearbox which is not configured to your ECU, there will be no communication to GB. Thus, there will be no attempt to shift gear

• Praise 1

I drove Fiat Punto 1.2 6speed CVT till scrap .

It's a Fiat,and so i did preventive maintenance religiously.

Never gave me any problem in the last ten years , start on every first crank , replaced only the wear and tears.

This CVT unit , as i understand , was sourced from Fuji heavy industry aka Subaru , it comes with a oil cooler.

It has 180k on it and still going strong and running smoothly .

I recieved a lot of flakes from everyone who knows I'm driving a Fiat , passing unwanted and unnecessary remarks.

I'm pleased with myself and satisfied with the overall performance of this little marvel from Fiat .

• Praise 5

Then i'm sweating liao, mine going to 7 years old in 4 months. Mileage already 180k. Air con compressor about to kaput, engine mounting up lorry

Prev ride was abt 175000km in mileage.

Changed my oil s scheduled-~60k km is just right.

Not once encountered any issue with my gearbox.

It was an allion.

I can do up to 4 but 5 is tough for me, I like to rev hard, pick up speed quickly and cruise at certain high speed whenever possible..hehe..

lol....understand. I do rev but only in sports mode occasionally. I suppose nowadays CVT is tougher and better abit same pulley system? I believe the new generation Subaru is using boxer engine with CVT tranny... [speechless]  enough of CVTs for me liao :a-t2622: ...manual stick is still preferred anytime... :D

3) change CVT every 20km

4) I added ATF cooler

5) gradual acceleration from stop. CVTs are quite fragile

3) change CVT every 20km - is this 50% change, like what automatics do 'drain & refill' or a full flush? Is a CVTF filter change included everytime u change at 20k interval?               

4) I added ATF cooler - does this cost parasitic power loss?  If so, how much?  The additional power loss is like turning aircon to high?  Or very minimal & barely noticeable?

If you dun mind sharing, whats ur ride back then on CVT?  TIA.

• Praise 2

I drove Fiat Punto 1.2 6speed CVT till scrap .

It's a Fiat,and so i did preventive maintenance religiously.

Never gave me any problem in the last ten years , start on every first crank , replaced only the wear and tears.

This CVT unit , as i understand , was sourced from Fuji heavy industry aka Subaru , it comes with a oil cooler.

It has 180k on it and still going strong and running smoothly .

I recieved a lot of flakes from everyone who knows I'm driving a Fiat , passing unwanted and unnecessary remarks.

I'm pleased with myself and satisfied with the overall performance of this little marvel from Fiat .

I bot my 1996 EK HOnda Civic 2nd hand in 1999 and drove in till Y2005 when I traded in the car for the ES Civic.

I changed the transmission oil regularly at 20k interval and the GB never gave me any problem. At that time, the CVT probably has one of the smoothest GB around.

I believe that Technology has advanced since and the CVT today should be better .... else the WRX would not be using the CVT.

Edited by Civic6228

I bot my 1996 EK HOnda Civic 2nd hand in 1999 and drove in till Y2005 when I traded in the car for the ES Civic.

I changed the transmission oil regularly at 20k interval and the GB never gave me any problem. At that time, the CVT probably has one of the smoothest GB around.

I believe that Technology has advanced since and the CVT today should be better .... else the WRX would not be using the CVT.

Worst and worst CVT still is more durable than DCT

Anyone knows where the cvt fluid tank is for a 2014 Honda City? Went to the showroom and asked after test drive but sales engineer had no clue.

Anyone knows where the cvt fluid tank is for a 2014 Honda City? Went to the showroom and asked after test drive but sales engineer had no clue.

I oso cannot find mind.  I checked other forums, they say the opening is facing the driver.  So not accessible to 'regular' owners.  I don't even know of there is a dip stick to check the color.  Reading through various threads, for AT/CVT, I noticed 2 types of servicing styles where owners exp the least issues.  This is for the 3rd gen Honda CVTs.

1) at 20k drain refill, at 40k flush, at 60k drain & refill , at 80k flush....rinse & repeat.

or

2) every 30k do a flush.

whatever u do, just don't follow the 'normal' ATF/CVT replacement interval or worse...subscribe to the theory of  ...'lifetime ATF/CVTF'....

I think the mcf record now is an Axio owner....at 300k km, cvt kaput.  That mcfer practices (1).

• Praise 2

I oso cannot find mind. I checked other forums, they say the opening is facing the driver. So not accessible to 'regular' owners. I don't even know of there is a dip stick to check the color. Reading through various threads, for AT/CVT, I noticed 2 types of servicing styles where owners exp the least issues. This is for the 3rd gen Honda CVTs.

1) at 20k drain refill, at 40k flush, at 60k drain & refill , at 80k flush....rinse & repeat.

or

2) every 30k do a flush.

whatever u do, just don't follow the 'normal' ATF/CVT replacement interval or worse...subscribe to the theory of ...'lifetime ATF/CVTF'....

I think the mcf record now is an Axio owner....at 300k km, cvt kaput. That mcfer practices (1).

Thanks for sharing.

I'm quite into DIY maintenance and looking for a worry free car with good FC. I asked about where power steering reservoir as well, no one on site knows either :-S "just come here do since 5 years warranty"

• Praise 1

Thanks for sharing.

I'm quite into DIY maintenance and looking for a worry free car with good FC. I asked about where power steering reservoir as well, no one on site knows either :-S "just come here do since 5 years warranty"

Np. Oh ya. There's a 3rd type. No need to flush tranny at all. Just change atf / cvtf every 20k km. :)
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1