Life Span of CVT Gearbox

Yahgo22

Turbocharged

my Civic ES CVT gearbox..now at 170,000km..no noise, still going strong..CVTF change at every 30,000km instead of the recommended 40,000km

↡ Advertisement

one good prevention on CVT gearbox is to stop the car totally before switch gear.

i believe most CVT drivers when parking, tend to engage to reverse gear when the car is not totally stop.

this might somehow interrupt the CVT gearbox. hence, somehow damage may incurs.

i also heard that the 4-CVT gives more problems than a 6-CVT or higher.

a general rule of thumb before a CVT gearbox went kaput; with a rough estimatiion of 4-CVT about 160,000km and 6-CVT about 240,000km.

A fren of mine driving colt version r auto cvt....

His mileage more than 100k...cvt still very gd with no problem

He likes to track at pg n sic...but I was surprise till now his cvt still running strong...

He changes cvt oil every 40k...dunno wat is his secret in maintaining the cvt

wah. can ask your fren how he maintain his cvt? any special additive etc?

If the owners do take care of the oil changes I am positively sure the failures will be minimal, though the question if the gearbox is as durable as the standard auto is questionable, as many sites have indicated that a well cared CVT gearbox has a lifespan of 120-160K km, while an standard box will last far longer with minimal maintenance!

Are the above infos true?

My Airwave gearbox just gameover at 220 000 km.

A mechanic I spoke to told me that this is a very common problem.

One of his customer's Odyssey game over at 160 000km.

My previous coe corona cd autobx gave trouble at abt 300k km n overhaul cost me abt $2k. After that it was fine.

I sud hv just bought a 2nd hand autobox fm scrapyard fr only abt $400 incl installation but i only found e lobang after doing e overhaul.

If yr car is jap, try to get a good condition 2nd hand cvt fm e scrapyards 1st. I sud b a cheaper option than overhaul e old 1.

But most important is to maintain e cvt well n it sud last longer. Remember to solve e problem can b ex n troublesome.

Now my present autobox, i slightly ''over maintain'' it just so it wil last n i dont hv exensive problems ater. Its already 5 yrs old n 100k km n still works smooth n fine. Just hope it stays that way.

My mechanic told me AT cooler & treatment really can prolong the GB life spend. Cos he said, GB failure mostly r cause by over heated, bcos majority parts in GB r made by alum.

My mechanic told me AT cooler & treatment really can prolong the GB life spend. Cos he said, GB failure mostly r cause by over heated, bcos majority parts in GB r made by alum.

ATF Cooler is a good investment if you drive long distance or you are utilizing your car heavily.

I have one installed in my ride.

However, in my opinion, preventive maintenance is still the best cure. [:p]

(edited)

I also heard that the 4-CVT gives more problems than a 6-CVT or higher.

a general rule of thumb before a CVT gearbox went kaput; with a rough estimatiion of 4-CVT about 160,000km and 6-CVT about 240,000km.

Is it true that CVT GB sure will kaput.

It's a matter of sooner or later no matter how well u maintain.

For those who want to "siam" or not to be too worried abt this is to

drive a manual car.

Am i rite?

Edited by Yahgo22

wah. can ask your fren how he maintain his cvt? any special additive etc?

As I've chked wif him that he said do not play wif DS mode as that's the major culprit of cvt failure...

He also do not hv any ATF cooler whatsoever n said avoid playing drag or WOT.

His a 6speed cvt iirc

Hi bros, is that any good workshop that you would recommend for a CVT oil change?? My car is a Toyota Axio which has no AD in singapore. I need a reputable workshop to do the oil change for me.. Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Hi bros, is that any good workshop that you would recommend for a CVT oil change?? My car is a Toyota Axio which has no AD in singapore. I need a reputable workshop to do the oil change for me.. Your help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

any ws is able to do the job. Its just drain n refill only. 10 mins job.

Read Ur user manual, to know Wat kind of oil & how many litres u need. If can buy ur own parts. Ask ws to do a flash for u.

Bcos like my ride 1st & 2nd changed ws said need only 4L but my user manual stated 8L then mechanic said no need so much. But when my GB got overhaul, that ws told me my GB needs 8L. Thus I realized my last 2 oil changed there r abt 4L existing oil left inside GB.

But ur Toyota may different.

Toyota Axio's CVT ..... needs special CVT oil which is quite expensive. Can't use other brands. Also, the manual says 80k change which is different from the normal ATF change at 40k. Maybe thats why it also cost double of normal ATF price.

Normal drain and refill will only get about half of the ATF out as the rest is still in the torque convertor.

Sometime CVT suffer premature failure coz outside workshop use wrong ATF like in toyota T-IV and Toyota atf-ws and the toyota CVT are not the same stuff.

Read Ur user manual, to know Wat kind of oil & how many litres u need. If can buy ur own parts. Ask ws to do a flash for u.

Bcos like my ride 1st & 2nd changed ws said need only 4L but my user manual stated 8L then mechanic said no need so much. But when my GB got overhaul, that ws told me my GB needs 8L. Thus I realized my last 2 oil changed there r abt 4L existing oil left inside GB.

But ur Toyota may different.

was really surprise that some CVT up lorry @ 40K km while other still very okay @ 200K km..

not sure whether is it the lemon factor or some ppl really dont take care of their CVT.

my last CVT(4-spd) was good @ 60k before i sell it away.. now with a new 6-spd CVT... 40K.. so far so good.

the only one i had was my first car... first gear up lorry liao... and the cause i believe is that the ATF was not being change for at least 90K km... then do the ATF flush.. it was brownish in color..

i believe frequent ATF change is necessary for a trouble-free CVT...if it is not that expensive (i mean the ATF).. one can change @ 20K km...

Another good advice I get was to change the ATF @ first 10K km...it is like the first EO change @ 1K km...

I think its more of owner problem rather than getting a lemon. The chance of getting a lousy owner is higher than getting a lemon car. Go to any ws and see the state of all the cars going in and out, how many drive there will really make sure everything is in place? How many actually keep trace of what he has change and what he has yet to change? Alot can tong will tong, don't understand this mentality but most of them paid the price when the car fails them, but they will just kpkb say car no good.

only for those fit/jazz/City with cvt GB

after 3 yrs of driving and reading all over forums from local - MY - US

I come to a conclusion

1) change @20k interval with cvtf with extreme concentrator if ur pocket is deep

2) always come to a COMPLETE stop before engage reverse / forward gear

3) WOT is always not recommended from move off

4) when u park your ride, do not off your engine @ P mode.

5) do not hit on throttle when u move off your ride while engine is cold (let the startup clutch do its job)

this is applicable while on the jam... u shall wait till ur ride move off before hitting the throttle . I heard from the honda SE, that the start up clutch tends to hit up especially when caught in the

jam.. hence u gonna be 'gentle' it is not recommended to WOT from move off but its ok to WOT when on the move.

next is how you park your ride... (U might find me kinda of paranoid about the GB, but prevention is better than cure)

usual habit how ppl park their ride -> park, put to P mode, and off engine. ( you will hear a loud thud sound with slight vibration and it doesnt happen all the time)

u try this -> park ur ride, put to N mode. hit the brake (dont let go till u off the engine), and off engine, then put to P mode before putting out the key ( u will not hear any sound at all, totally no vibration ) if you got...come and find me... i teach u..if all fails, please post in sg car mart :) )

I had been practicing this way and install atf cooler and probably, some may not agree with me... my mileage is 60k for a near 3 yr old ride... i couldnt 'prove' my credibility yet unless my mileage is at least 250k... anyway, this is up to your discretion to try.

Edited by Itsec
↡ Advertisement