Life Span of CVT Gearbox

Yahgo22

Hi Jordan,

How often do you change your cvt oil? I just bought a 2nD hand and now its at 35k..so far still ok..anything to take note in particular?

Pls advice! tks

u sure the mileage is 35k?? [grin]

just change...dont wait....

rule of thumb... is ur manual recommend (not ur mechanic hearsay)

40k -> change at 30 or less

60k -> change at 45 or less

80k -> change at 60 or less

experienced a few times can't shift from P to D after i jus started my Latio CVT...is my gearbox going to up lorry soon? after i turned off the engine, and turned it back on, then can shift from P to D

Hi Jordan,

How often do you change your cvt oil? I just bought a 2nD hand and now its at 35k..so far still ok..anything to take note in particular?

Pls advice! tks

1st changed @ 30++k km, my cvt started sound even before that. 2nd changed @ 57K km bcos oil turned brown colour.

then cvt barings broken in pieces @ 61k km.

is time to change cvt oil @ 35k. but yours how many years car liao, only 35k...!

How to make my colt plus perform faster? Not much strength :(

Wondering if its possible to put the turbo engine inside colt plus?

y not u just buy coltplus turbo at d 1st place

experienced a few times can't shift from P to D after i jus started my Latio CVT...is my gearbox going to up lorry soon? after i turned off the engine, and turned it back on, then can shift from P to D

normally, stepped brake padel b4 to shift down P to D, if feel hard to shift down, just release brake padel & step again.

Is colt plus that bad? I am going for my 40k servicing and when i called up the workshop they said its time to do major servicing but yet my bro said no need..just go for normal changing for engine oil etc..is it true?

I thought the cvt gearbox problem can be solved via changing of oil reguarly?

seriously i never knew of colt plus turbo last time..to tell you guys honestly, i fell in love with colt plus in just 5 min when i head down to carshop to shop for my honda fit..lolz...yi jian zhong qin =)

when i took over last yr oct, it was 28k only..then after i drive for 6 months, i have clocked 10k more..haha..

i heard that cvt oil muz change regularly so that it can last longer..in any case, each servcing also wont cost so much so no point to wait till old then change..later who knows the whole gearbox spoilt then need more money to replace sia..

Is colt plus that bad? I am going for my 40k servicing and when i called up the workshop they said its time to do major servicing but yet my bro said no need..just go for normal changing for engine oil etc..is it true?

I thought the cvt gearbox problem can be solved via changing of oil reguarly?

it shall be..reducing wear n tear, unless its design flaw... then LLST...

You fren's Colt R most probably isn't modded, or it's modded within the CVT's limit.

For a stock Colt R the CVT can take the punishment. But if the engine was modded, the CVT can easily kaput as it's not tuned to handle the increase torque or power. For Colt Rs, anything above 250nm of torque is in danger zone.

Anyway, proper care and extra maintenance can help prolong CVT lifespan.

- ATF change at half the recommended intervals. For our Colt R is 40km so I change ATF every 20k.

- Use only the recommended stock ATF as most CVT are sensitive to their respective ATF.

- Installing a ATF cooler may prolong the CVT gearbox as it helps to reduce temperature, esp in our humid tropical climate.

- Reduce the frequency of dragging the CVT in tiptronic mode or OD off will help with the lifespan.

- Above all, if you mod your ride, mod within the limits of the CVT.

Well said!

Neutral Newbie

[angel]

only for those fit/jazz/City with cvt GB

after 3 yrs of driving and reading all over forums from local - MY - US

I come to a conclusion

1) change @20k interval with cvtf with extreme concentrator if ur pocket is deep

2) always come to a COMPLETE stop before engage reverse / forward gear

3) WOT is always not recommended from move off

4) when u park your ride, do not off your engine @ P mode.

5) do not hit on throttle when u move off your ride while engine is cold (let the startup clutch do its job)

this is applicable while on the jam... u shall wait till ur ride move off before hitting the throttle . I heard from the honda SE, that the start up clutch tends to hit up especially when caught in the

jam.. hence u gonna be 'gentle' it is not recommended to WOT from move off but its ok to WOT when on the move.

next is how you park your ride... (U might find me kinda of paranoid about the GB, but prevention is better than cure)

usual habit how ppl park their ride -> park, put to P mode, and off engine. ( you will hear a loud thud sound with slight vibration and it doesnt happen all the time)

u try this -> park ur ride, put to N mode. hit the brake (dont let go till u off the engine), and off engine, then put to P mode before putting out the key ( u will not hear any sound at all, totally no vibration ) if you got...come and find me... i teach u..if all fails, please post in sg car mart :) )

I had been practicing this way and install atf cooler and probably, some may not agree with me... my mileage is 60k for a near 3 yr old ride... i couldnt 'prove' my credibility yet unless my mileage is at least 250k... anyway, this is up to your discretion to try.

Thank you. You are right. [thumbsup]

GB is the one of the most 'sensitive' components in the mech department onboard the car. Normally, it should be the least worry about. BUT! when we too "Bo-Chap' it. this little jewel box will hit us badly. $$$ fly. [angel]

May I ask for 2006 mitsuibishi lancer glx sport... Is it using cvt? If yes, what cvt fluid i should be using?

May I ask for 2006 mitsuibishi lancer glx sport... Is it using cvt? If yes, what cvt fluid i should be using?

Lancer sports come in both manual and CVT. Not necessary only CVT.

They are using and can only use Mitsubishi Diaqueen III. It is all stated in the manual.

1st Gear

Lancer sports come in both manual and CVT. Not necessary only CVT.

They are using and can only use Mitsubishi Diaqueen III. It is all stated in the manual.

oh, mine is a auto, just that not sure if it's cvt or the normal 4 speed auto... so for either case I only need to use Mitsubishi Diaqueen III? No need for cvt transmission fluid?

oh, mine is a auto, just that not sure if it's cvt or the normal 4 speed auto... so for either case I only need to use Mitsubishi Diaqueen III? No need for cvt transmission fluid?

when u accelerate from standstill.. do u feel gear changing??

like RPM rise to 3K rpm, then drop to 2K.. then repeat again until u reach cruising speed say 80kmh??

or is it just remain like at 2.5K rpm and your speed just climbs to cruising?

↡ Advertisement