Economists say drop in foreigners may lead to labour shortag

Expertz

SINGAPORE : Observers said the drop in the number of permanent residencies granted last year reflected a change in the type of immigrants the government is trying to attract.

They said the move also needs to be seen against the backdrop of recent policies aimed at tightening the inflow of foreign workers, such as raising the criteria for S-Pass holders.

Economists said given Singapore's strong economic growth and full employment, the policy may lead to labour shortage.

This in turn may lead to a rise in wages and also higher inflation.

Manu Bhaskaran, partner, Centennial Group, said: "When wages rise, businesses will find ways to economise on labour, and that will drive productivity up.

"In the longer term, that would be good for Singapore. In the short term unfortunately, it will be painful for certain businesses and certain companies."

- CNA/al

SOURCE: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...105266/1/.html

why singapore so funny 1... too many FT = higher inflation

too little FT = higher inflation

so how to lower inflation? too many also bad too little also bad!

↡ Advertisement

too little FT = higher inflation short term , longer term good for Singapore ! [rolleyes] see that what economist say ..

"In the longer term, that would be good for Singapore. In the short term unfortunately, it will be painful for certain businesses and certain companies."

Edited by Jasonjst

When will the game ends? No one dares to even think about it!

When we reach 7million....the SAME argument will still ring true about the need to continue importing FT.

When we reach 10million....then what? The land will be so crowded. Do we still sing the same tune about importing FT or else labour shortage or 1.2birthrate insufficient?

Yes we can keep importing FT at this moment in time.....but 10 years later how?

The current policy is just extending the pain till 10 years later.

But for those who are keen to earn as much from properties.....this current gov seems to be PROMISING it for the next 10years the bubble will not burst!

The news I read today....points to the continual importing of FT....which will drive the properties upwards!!

I have discussed with my wife last night.....we are DEFINATELY looking to get a condo when the prices come down significantly.

Keep my current HDB for rental.

When the fat lady sings, in 10 years time, sell off the condo & HDB and reap the profit to retire comfortably in my wife's hometown.......Kota Tinggi!

Like I said previously.

"ren shi ni, gui ye shi ni".

Basically they say things according to circumstances

"jian ren shou ren hua, jian gui shuo gui hua"

I have discussed with my wife last night.....we are DEFINATELY looking to get a condo when the prices come down significantly.

the hdb already changed ruling on owning 1 hdb unit at a time or 1 condo but not both at the same time...

the hdb already changed ruling on owning 1 hdb unit at a time or 1 condo but not both at the same time...

Yalor.... I guess mr simon tan still in dreamland.... Dreaming his condo dreams... [laugh] maybe he was one of those aspiring upgraders interviewed in the propaganda times on sunday

Edited by Viceroymenthol

When the fat lady sings, in 10 years time, sell off the condo & HDB and reap the profit to retire comfortably in my wife's hometown.......Kota Tinggi!

I believe you have to sell off your hdb. u cannot own a hdb and buy another condo..

SINGAPORE : Observers said the drop in the number of permanent residencies granted last year reflected a change in the type of immigrants the government is trying to attract.

They said the move also needs to be seen against the backdrop of recent policies aimed at tightening the inflow of foreign workers, such as raising the criteria for S-Pass holders.

Economists said given Singapore's strong economic growth and full employment, the policy may lead to labour shortage.

This in turn may lead to a rise in wages and also higher inflation.

Manu Bhaskaran, partner, Centennial Group, said: "When wages rise, businesses will find ways to economise on labour, and that will drive productivity up.

- CNA/al

SOURCE: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...105266/1/.html

too little FT = higher inflation

so how to lower inflation? too many also bad too little also bad!

why would the gahmen want to have a deflation?? certainly you would not want to, coz that an indication of negative growth, much more headache after that for you and me if that happen... moreover, inflation means more $$ for gahmen....

i respect economist view as about the same as fortune tellers.....

full of bullshiit and usually when they are wrong.... they confirm 马后炮

Edited by Ngck

Neutral Newbie

Can, provided you have HDB first, then you can buy the condo. If you have condo, then you can't buy HDB.

Can, provided you have HDB first, then you can buy the condo. If you have condo, then you can't buy HDB.

I dont think so, my friend have to sell his HDB when he purchase a new condo

I dont think so, my friend have to sell his HDB when he purchase a new condo

Nlstch is right. Anyway better to get facts right from the source, HDB, not from frens did this and that.

OMG, do we need to pay so much $$$ to economists just to tell us this!!!

all these economists, financial advicers are bull sheet!

if they really so good, why "prediction" always wrong?

so lee hai, Singapore wont go into recession and inflation liaoz lor...

↡ Advertisement