Poor English Standard Of PRs

Jujitsuka

In my line of wk, i would recieve many applicants of foreigners and local PRs. I've came to notice many of the PRs here are able to hold a proper conversation in English but when it comes to writing (we have a sec 2 eng test prior to the interview) most of them cannot make it.

My coy adverts have alot of Myanmmar, Pinoy & Indian/Pakistani/Bangla nationalities calling in... Guess its the start of a new yr many foreigner looking to change job. alot of PRs too from these few nations come down from interviews too. The better ones are the Burmese fellas, able to speak and write fairly well. Pinoys also not bad... Worst of the lot are usually the pakis or banglas most can speak but cannot write!

Ah Tiongs usually wun call in to our ads since we advertise excl in English papers. But sometimes will have the odd one or two who are able to read n and write fairly well. We take em too.

Msians both foreigner and PRs are by far the largest group which we take in. But funnily alot of msian chinese guys like to wk in Zi Char Stalls wif low pay or in mechanical wkshops and factories. They dun seem to have much ambition compared to their femaile counterparts. Same also for th e Malaysian Indians the girls would be more proactive in upgrading of skills and looking for better prospects.

Maybe because of the industry i'm in thats why i tend to observe and see such happenings... Any bros would like to share about their own experiences in their company? :D

Seems like a lot of PRs are also facing alot of difficulties finding jobs with the exception of Msians... Tink we will see alot of exodus of the FTs back to their home countires in the face of raising inflations!!

↡ Advertisement

In my line of wk, i would recieve many applicants of foreigners and local PRs. I've came to notice many of the PRs here are able to hold a proper conversation in English but when it comes to writing (we have a sec 2 eng test prior to the interview) most of them cannot make it.

My coy adverts have alot of Myanmmar, Pinoy & Indian/Pakistani/Bangla nationalities calling in... Guess its the start of a new yr many foreigner looking to change job. alot of PRs too from these few nations come down from interviews too. The better ones are the Burmese fellas, able to speak and write fairly well. Pinoys also not bad... Worst of the lot are usually the pakis or banglas most can speak but cannot write!

Ah Tiongs usually wun call in to our ads since we advertise excl in English papers. But sometimes will have the odd one or two who are able to read n and write fairly well. We take em too.

Msians both foreigner and PRs are by far the largest group which we take in. But funnily alot of msian chinese guys like to wk in Zi Char Stalls wif low pay or in mechanical wkshops and factories. They dun seem to have much ambition compared to their femaile counterparts. Same also for th e Malaysian Indians the girls would be more proactive in upgrading of skills and looking for better prospects.

Maybe because of the industry i'm in thats why i tend to observe and see such happenings... Any bros would like to share about their own experiences in their company? :D

Seems like a lot of PRs are also facing alot of difficulties finding jobs with the exception of Msians... Tink we will see alot of exodus of the FTs back to their home countires in the face of raising inflations!!

Think you're messing up the line between FTs and FWs.

The exodus of foreigners back is more of the FWs rather than the FTs as more Singaporeans take up jobs originally view as 'FW' jobs as more FTs take over jobs normally viewed as Singaporean jobs.

Hence everybody moves one step down the ladder except for the FTs and the civil service. Hence, we will see more and more people in the civil service and in politics, that more or less equates to more safeguard for high profile public servants.

If Singaporeans maintain themselves in the current FT position, more and more will lean towards opposition party for what they might offer and the checks they might introduce. The incumbent obviously doens't want that. What better way than to take voting power under their wing and gauranteeing a majority?

It's all politics my friend.

Think you're messing up the line between FTs and FWs.

The exodus of foreigners back is more of the FWs rather than the FTs as more Singaporeans take up jobs originally view as 'FW' jobs as more FTs take over jobs normally viewed as Singaporean jobs.

Hence everybody moves one step down the ladder except for the FTs and the civil service. Hence, we will see more and more people in the civil service and in politics, that more or less equates to more safeguard for high profile public servants.

If Singaporeans maintain themselves in the current FT position, more and more will lean towards opposition party for what they might offer and the checks they might introduce. The incumbent obviously doens't want that. What better way than to take voting power under their wing and gauranteeing a majority?

It's all politics my friend.

What are the examples of SGers take over FW jobs and vice versa?

IMHO i dun see many SG ppl wking as labourer in construction sites nor alot of Beer aunties turning local????

U have to ask yourself what's their 1st language in their education system? If u put yourself In a position that u want to work in their country. What will be the challenges u will most likely face? U will most likely face what they are facing now.

If you look at my siggy u can roughly guess lol...

i'm guessing AETOS

wait, i change to CISCO CERTIS

Edited by Unfair

Your industry will see more FW than FT.

No bro... Most SG ppl dunno that security related jobs such as APOs only avail for SG Citizens/PRs ( Msian only)/Msian (FW) otehr nationalities not applicable cos its a palimentary law.

Other positions such as security guards and enforcements officers can take in other nationalites FW.

So the best jobs are usually left for SG but we all picky dun like to wk shift even with reasonable pay and high OTs...

Even 60++ old ah peks dun wanna wk shifts... We're a choosy bunch of ppl...

As For the funny m'sian Chinese guys, these bunch of guys spent more time hanging outside the 7/11 store Dan studying in the classroom. For those who want to work in mechanical wks are not able to write report of what they did for the day, usually they will tolong their supervisor to write it for them. But becos of the exchange rate here they earn more here especially when these line of work have OT. No OT they will go other companies.

As For the funny m'sian Chinese guys, these bunch of guys spent more time hanging outside the 7/11 store Dan studying in the classroom. For those who want to work in mechanical wks are not able to write report of what they did for the day, usually they will tolong their supervisor to write it for them. But becos of the exchange rate here they earn more here especially when these line of work have OT. No OT they will go other companies.

Hard to convince them to switch jobs to my coy our OT pay gao gao but as we're a manpower based coy we need more ppl cos alot of contracts dropping down from Ah Gong... Any bros here gt lobang to find Msian wkers? My coy willing to pay well for referral agts!

I really don't know what TS is complaining about but he/she is definitely trying to make FTs 'look bad'

For many FTs, ENGLAND...ahem or rather English was and is never and their first language in their culture and education scheme.

So what he have experienced is NOT UNUSUAL.

What is definitely 'unusual' is..

SINKIES WHO ARE EDUCATED FOR DONKEY YEARS IN THE ENGLISH LANG ..can't speak and write properly, when they finish schooling!

Want to buy good quality mirror specifically made for SINKIE or not? :D

I really don't know what TS is complaining about but he/she is definitely trying to make FTs 'look bad'

For many FTs, ENGLAND...ahem or rather English was and is never and their first language in their culture and education scheme.

SINKIES WHO ARE EDUCATED FOR DONKEY YEARS IN THE ENGLISH LANG ..can't speak and write properly, when they finish schooling!

For once, you actually said something that I can agree with wholeheartedly. For a country with English as its lingua franca, and with English as the primary mode of instruction in schools, it's absolutely appalling (and frankly perplexing) that so many people seem unable to string together a coherent sentence in proper English.

I'm not referring to those who choose to speak or write Singlish - that's OK, hor. [laugh] But there are certainly many who seem unable to write in a grammatically correct fashion despite best intentions and best efforts. That's just sad.

:D :D :D

Actually i notice something... those who are not good in English... like to correct people mistake by giving sarcastic comment or post in forum... cos they think they are very proficient in it.

See those ang moh... when you said something not appropriate... they just smile and give correction instantly without penalty...

I'm not trying to make them look bad juz stating wat i see... I always wondered how they became PR and how was the selection process based on merits?

yah... some ah tiongs can speaks English very well... i ever meet a PRC young chick from PUB.... her england is damn powerful. if i didnt see her personally and talk to her over the phone, i will assume that she is an ang moh....

U have to ask yourself what's their 1st language in their education system? If u put yourself In a position that u want to work in their country. What will be the challenges u will most likely face? U will most likely face what they are facing now.

+1

↡ Advertisement