Euro Turbo, Jap Hybrid, the new direction?

Friendstar

It seems to me that major european brands are going into turbo-charged (or FI) engines, with even BMW introducing turbo into its entry level 2 litre 4 cylinders.

while the Jap powerhouses (Honda/Toyota) are wholeheartedly in the hybrid route...

will this be the direction forward? that brands belonging to each continent carving a niche in the auto industry.

will we not see a turbo toyota/honda ever?

ps: i do understand that the directions manufacturer choose are always aligned to government legislation.

Edited by Friendstar
↡ Advertisement

actually the japanese have already had turbo technology for years, don't know why they rather focus on the more technologically challenging hybrid instead of a simple turbo

btw in our hot climate, a turbo makes more sense because heat kills batteries!

actually the japanese have already had turbo technology for years, don't know why they rather focus on the more technologically challenging hybrid instead of a simple turbo

Maybe they are looking at life beyong Crude Oil?

Turbo technology ultimately depend on Crude Oil. Hybrid are getting themself ready for electrical car erra.

It seems to me that major european brands are going into turbo-charged (or FI) engines, with even BMW introducing turbo into its entry level 2 litre 4 cylinders.

while the Jap powerhouses (Honda/Toyota) are wholeheartedly in the hybrid route...

will this be the direction forward? that brands belonging to each continent carving a niche in the auto industry.

will we not see a turbo toyota/honda ever?

ps: i do understand that the directions manufacturer choose are always aligned to government legislation.

Conti is going toward FI to replace bigger capacity engine, mostly 6 potter.

Our hot climate also not make sense for turbo.

honda and toyota got turbo b4 wat.

yep i know they had turbos before....

i'm just saying moving forward.... the direction.

Maybe they are looking at life beyong Crude Oil?

Turbo technology ultimately depend on Crude Oil. Hybrid are getting themself ready for electrical car erra.

life beyond crude oil?

based on current estimates, crude oil can easily last a good >40years.

won't it be slightly premature to prepare for full electric?

i donno.

honda and toyota got turbo b4 wat.

The concept of having turbo is different then.

Last time is for power, now is light turbo for fuel efficiency.

I think friendstar started a very good topic so that more people can share their view for better understanding

Neutral Newbie

life beyond crude oil?

based on current estimates, crude oil can easily last a good >40years.

won't it be slightly premature to prepare for full electric?

i donno.

you sure crude oil can last more than > 40 yrs? when i was in secondary school, the textbook kept saying based on my usage + increasing demand, it will last us 30 yrs only. Not very sure about it though.

Last time i had this image in my mind when i was 15-16 that we would run out of oil when i am 45-46 and we will all be doomed!

Neutral Newbie

This Hybrid s--t is the dumbest thing ever, the carbon footprint of hybrids aint any significantly smaller than their petrol counterparts. Even electric cars are not the way forward unless electric generation plants have a major leap in efficiency. How about the waste that the battries are going to create once they are past shelf life??

We are going back to the time when the catalytic converter legislation was passed as a bandaid. Instead of poisoning people now we are blowing up the entire planet. Yum

you sure crude oil can last more than > 40 yrs? when i was in secondary school, the textbook kept saying based on my usage + increasing demand, it will last us 30 yrs only. Not very sure about it though.

Last time i had this image in my mind when i was 15-16 that we would run out of oil when i am 45-46 and we will all be doomed!

How long can oil last

"How long will the world

Our hot climate also not make sense for turbo.

turbo heats up the engine faster than NA, but a bigger radiator will offset the extra heat

however heat will kill batteries and no radiator will be able to save your batteries from heat

the current hybrids are using litium ion batteries which have a operating temp of room temperature only

This Hybrid s--t is the dumbest thing ever, the carbon footprint of hybrids aint any significantly smaller than their petrol counterparts. Even electric cars are not the way forward unless electric generation plants have a major leap in efficiency. How about the waste that the battries are going to create once they are past shelf life??

We are going back to the time when the catalytic converter legislation was passed as a bandaid. Instead of poisoning people now we are blowing up the entire planet. Yum

i read somewhere that it is definitely way more efficient to produce energy from a centralized power plant than many many small car engines.

economies of scale.

therefore, charging electric cars is more efficient (per unit of fuel)

turbo heats up the engine faster than NA, but a bigger radiator will offset the extra heat

however heat will kill batteries and no radiator will be able to save your batteries from heat

the current hybrids are using litium ion batteries which have a operating temp of room temperature only

room temperature?

in singapore its hard to keep your car away from direct sunlight + heat

The concept of having turbo is different then.

Last time is for power, now is light turbo for fuel efficiency.

I think friendstar started a very good topic so that more people can share their view for better understanding

yes yes... very long ago, i used to think that turbo-charged cars are fuel thirsty. like evo, wrx etc.

then VW started to change my mindset.

that turbo can be deployed to increase efficiency.

(burns fuel more complete)

room temperature?

in singapore its hard to keep your car away from direct sunlight + heat

my point exactly!

after 5 years you will end up with a hybrid engine that doesn't engage its electric motor because the batteries are dead

plus because the batteries + extra electric engine weight over 100kg, your 1.3ton car effectively becomes 1.5 tons

imagine driving around an under powered 1.5 ton car and dragging those useless dead batteries + extra engine around

plus your alternator will continue trying to charge your dead batteries

worst of all, hybrid vehicles fetch extremely low prices due to their initial omv offset

i'd get a vw anytime over a jap hybrid

↡ Advertisement