S$2.06 Million For "Stolen Handphones"

Picnic06-Biante15

Read this at CNA news : Ex-M1 staff who "stole phones" ordered to pay S$2.06m

Singapore - The High Court has granted telco M1 a default judgment against a former employee who allegedly took 3,092 phones and enjoyed the high life with the profits made from selling them.

In a closed-door hearing last week, the Court also ordered Matthew Yeo Kay Keng, 35, to pay S$2.06 million in damages to M1.

The High Court's decision comes after he had failed to enter his defence by January 14 to contest M1's claims in its civil suit.

Yeo, who sold M1 handsets and phone subscriptions to corporate clients, had allegedly been cooking up fake sales orders over three years.

He would then collect handsets and sell them off for his personal profit. On November 15, the day he returned from a S$10,000 Japan holiday, he confessed to taking the handsets after M1 discovered the discrepancies.

Sworn statements by M1 chief financial officer Lee Kok Chew said Yeo admitted to taking the phones.

Yeo had also disclosed his spending spree. He bought a S$230,000 Porsche sports car in August, before upgrading to another S$430,000 model two months later.

Yeo also bought a S$50,000 Patek Philippe watch and four Audemars Piguet watches that cost between S$15,000 and S$30,000 each.

He has apparently said he would sell his watches, car, a S$200,000 stingray and S$160,000 worth of arowanas to compensate M1.

He claimed the items were worth around S$1.6 million. In his statement to M1, Yeo said he took the phones because of "materialism" and his "weakness for cars and watches".

He added: "I have used this dishonest and wrongful method to get more handsets lately to get more money and provide better for the family."

- CNA/ir

Another classic of dreamer trying to own 'Sport' cars ........ [shakehead][shakehead][shakehead]

Edited by Picnic06
↡ Advertisement

where did he rear that 200k stingray? You need a very big tank for that thing. Or he outsoruce the rearing part to some fish farms?

$200,000 for stingray! This is crazy! I can understand he buying sport cars and watches. Even go night clubs to hang flowers but why spent so much on stingray? [laugh]

where did he rear that 200k stingray? You need a very big tank for that thing. Or he outsoruce the rearing part to some fish farms?

Need to buy insurance for the stingray? If suddenly die then $200K gone! [laugh][laugh]

Next time I see a 'rich' person haolian to me his nice car etc I wont gif 2 hoots liao..cos his $$$ could be ill gotten gains..honest sweat of making a living still smells nicer.. [bounce2]