S$2.06 Million For "Stolen Handphones"

Picnic06-Biante15

Lost and stolen is technically 2 different things..

Losing your phone and someone pick it up, the founder is not committing a crime.. [rolleyes]

Phone kena stolen, the thief is committing a crime.. [rolleyes]

Hmmm... sound like Ponding and flooding.. [:p][rolleyes]

↡ Advertisement

Read this at CNA news : Ex-M1 staff who "stole phones" ordered to pay S$2.06m

Singapore - The High Court has granted telco M1 a default judgment against a former employee who allegedly took 3,092 phones and enjoyed the high life with the profits made from selling them.

In a closed-door hearing last week, the Court also ordered Matthew Yeo Kay Keng, 35, to pay S$2.06 million in damages to M1.

The High Court's decision comes after he had failed to enter his defence by January 14 to contest M1's claims in its civil suit.

Yeo, who sold M1 handsets and phone subscriptions to corporate clients, had allegedly been cooking up fake sales orders over three years.

He would then collect handsets and sell them off for his personal profit. On November 15, the day he returned from a S$10,000 Japan holiday, he confessed to taking the handsets after M1 discovered the discrepancies.

Sworn statements by M1 chief financial officer Lee Kok Chew said Yeo admitted to taking the phones.

Yeo had also disclosed his spending spree. He bought a S$230,000 Porsche sports car in August, before upgrading to another S$430,000 model two months later.

Yeo also bought a S$50,000 Patek Philippe watch and four Audemars Piguet watches that cost between S$15,000 and S$30,000 each.

He has apparently said he would sell his watches, car, a S$200,000 stingray and S$160,000 worth of arowanas to compensate M1.

He claimed the items were worth around S$1.6 million. In his statement to M1, Yeo said he took the phones because of "materialism" and his "weakness for cars and watches".

He added: "I have used this dishonest and wrongful method to get more handsets lately to get more money and provide better for the family."

- CNA/ir

Another classic of dreamer trying to own 'Sport' cars ........ [shakehead][shakehead][shakehead]

how does watches, Porsches and fish provide better for the family?

I think should have la. I just upgraded my wife's S2 to 4.1.2, the feature is there. It's called SIM change alert, under security settings.

anyone knows if iPhone 5 got such function too?

recently resetted a iphone 5 to factory settings but it prompted me to insert a sim card to activate the phone.........

Turbocharged

Hmmm... sound like Ponding and flooding.. [:p][rolleyes]

You accidentally left your phone on the bus, and someone took it... Too bad, finders keepers.

Someone open your bag and took your phone away.. that's a crime..

lower price of car in singapore and this wont happen le.

If the prices lowered, he'd be driving Ferrari or Lamborghini already.. Haha..

what app? [rolleyes]

There's an app called Cerberus. For Android only, I've been using it on my SII, quite effective. Cost $5 or something like that, but it gives me peace of mind, even when the phone is lost / stolen, can track it, if new SIM put in, can get that person's number, can send alert to the phone if you just lost it for 5 minutes, so even phone on silent, it will ring and you can find it, when the person who stole it (if stolen) tries to cut the alarm, the app will take a picture of the person. And best, can hide the app from the app drawer, so the person who stole it, even if they can unlock your phone and see your apps, wouldn't know it's there.

Twincharged

would be good if phone has a remote self destruct function

explode in the hands of the cheapo finder who doesnt return the phone [laugh]

You accidentally left your phone on the bus, and someone took it... Too bad, finders keepers.

Someone open your bag and took your phone away.. that's a crime..

hahaha... Oh well.. similar like manslaughter and murder also.. :ph34r:

Must remember, flooding happens only once every 50 years... [laugh]

it's not Flooding.. It's ponding.. Get your terms right.. [:p]-_-

↡ Advertisement