Majority of elite school students have elite parents

Ahtong

This article is not simple

Non-grad parents, but they made it to top schools

By Rachel Chang

THE first glimpse 12-year-olds get of their secondary schools, their homes for the next four years, is on Reporting Day every December.

What Isdiyanah Dulkifli, now 15, saw then were big, shiny cars parked on every spare inch in the Raffles Girls

↡ Advertisement

IMO, the poor ones learn the values of life and will be better soalcialites when they make it cos they know the true value of hard work.....

I am not rich, but i grew up from a poor family too...and if at all, i lernt the value of the family and graciousness at it's best

Assuming the less well to do don't get blighted by a massive inferiority complex first.

Paraphrased from another forum:

"My parents took me to Disneyland to celebrate my good results"

"My parents took me to tour Europe to celebrate my good results"

"You leh?"

"We went to eat KFC ....."

Assuming the less well to do don't get blighted by a massive inferiority complex first.

"You leh?"

[laugh][laugh] i know where....

not surprised. I know this is not socially acceptable, nor politically correct to say out, but genetics accounts for probably up to 70% of a person's destiny. Humanity's survival depends on those with good genes getting ahead and slowly, those with bad genes get weeded out. Survival of the fittest, Darwinian evolution.

"You leh?"

"We went geylang ....."

"You leh?"

haiz

so true

until now i havent had chance to go disneyland

last time results good ... got mac donalds very happy liaoz [laugh]

not surprised. I know this is not socially acceptable, nor politically correct to say out, but genetics accounts for probably up to 70% of a person's destiny. Humanity's survival depends on those with good genes getting ahead and slowly, those with bad genes get weeded out. Survival of the fittest, Darwinian evolution.

Having good Genes does not make one successful.

Its like you have sports car but you only drive @50km/h.

Your Drive to succeed in life matters.

Of course for you to reach 100km/h compare to a Thaiyota, you have it easier...

haiz

so true

until now i havent had chance to go disneyland

last time results good ... got mac donalds very happy liaoz [laugh]

What is so nice with disneyland when we have Universasl Studio at our doorstep with Battlestar Galactica ride ??

Having good Genes does not make one successful.

i never say it will. I said there's a greater chance than not.

A guy born not so smart but very hardworking, might make it too.

Some are born not so smart but develop good EQ, they might make it too.....though some components of EQ can be said to be hereditary.

That said, a guy born very smart but not hardworking and has bad EQ, will make a low-skilled worker who finds life very easy.

The same low-skilled worker, born not smart, is not hardworking and has bad EQ, will find Life a struggle.

To dismiss the role of genetics in life, is to be blind to the fact that a person is both an inherited body and a nurtured character.....without a good inherited body and brain, half the battle is lost. Actually i think more than half.....that's why i said roughly 70% of a person's destiny is thus hereditary.

This article is not simple

Non-grad parents, but they made it to top schools

By Rachel Chang

THE first glimpse 12-year-olds get of their secondary schools, their homes for the next four years, is on Reporting Day every December.

What Isdiyanah Dulkifli, now 15, saw then were big, shiny cars parked on every spare inch in the Raffles Girls

maybe applies to this era

last time where got so many elites one?

u got a diploma in 70s,80s, u already si bei sah liaoz,

maybe it's the golden generation era of newly form elite that pass this kind of mindset down????

sell plastic flowers in old times make u very rich..LOL

my time can't even afford to go paco funworld lor [:(]

Sure or not? You ACS boy right?

ACS boys last time primary 3 only have been to europe and usa several times liao, skiing, disney, sit first class, etc

Sure or not? You ACS boy right?

ACS boys last time primary 3 only have been to europe and usa several times liao, skiing, disney, sit first class, etc

\

first time i took a plane was during my NS days, for oversea exercise... [bigcry]

maybe applies to this era

last time where got so many elites one?

u got a diploma in 70s,80s, u already si bei sah liaoz,

maybe it's the golden generation era of newly form elite that pass this kind of mindset down????

sell plastic flowers in old times make u very rich..LOL

Last time also got lah... From the 50's till the '80s

Every year those graduates of university of malaya which became university of singapore, which became NUS. Got few thousands every year...

Plus those public service, stat board, rhodes and MNC scholarships

Not to mention those who studied abroad, although fewer than now.

Add together every year got a lot liao lor..... And even back then merely having a degree doesn't accord you elite status... Got many old time degree holders hantak kaki also.. Became dead wood in civil service and MNC, in the end, kena retrench.

But it was only in the last ten years that we see a huge jump in the number of degree holders, thanks to the private distance learning schools in singapore like SIM, etc....

Edited by Viceroymenthol

Hmm! Food for thought i guess... Well Peter Lim's father was a fishmonger and now his son is one of the richest man in Sinkiepore.

Genetics only acct for half of the equation in my opinion. The other half is done by being "luckily" aka preparation + opportunities.

If u r well prepared and "happened" to be at the rite place at the rite time... Success will follow.

Knowing when things will 'happened' is also an art by itself sumthing u can't learn from school text books.

Genetics imho are overrated sometimes.

↡ Advertisement