Keeper Pepe Reina hints at Liverpool exit

Latka

Feb 9, 2011

LONDON - THE next jersey to be burnt at Merseyside could well belong to Liverpool goalkeeper Jose Reina.

The Spaniard, who has been justifying the contentious 50 million pounds (S$102.5 million) defection of compatriot Fernando Torres to Chelsea, has hinted he might follow suit.

'I won't lie - I want to play in the Champions League,' Reina told Spanish radio station Onda Cero, echoing Torres' reason for quitting Anfield.

Should he leave Liverpool, a move to Spain would appear unlikely with neither Real Madrid nor Barcelona looking for a goalkeeper. Which leaves him with a transfer to a rival Premier League club.

'It's hard to see me returning to Spain. But at Manchester United, Edwin van der Sar is hanging up his gloves and people say that Arsenal are looking.

' I can't do or say anything; I renewed my contract with Liverpool last year. 'But what a player wants to do in his career is to challenge for titles.'

Although he was reminded that he has won an FA Cup with Liverpool, his response will not leave Reds fans optimistic that they will be able to hang on to one of the league's top goalkeepers.

↡ Advertisement

Feb 9, 2011

LONDON - THE next jersey to be burnt at Merseyside could well belong to Liverpool goalkeeper Jose Reina.

The Spaniard, who has been justifying the contentious 50 million pounds (S$102.5 million) defection of compatriot Fernando Torres to Chelsea, has hinted he might follow suit.

'I won't lie - I want to play in the Champions League,' Reina told Spanish radio station Onda Cero, echoing Torres' reason for quitting Anfield.

Should he leave Liverpool, a move to Spain would appear unlikely with neither Real Madrid nor Barcelona looking for a goalkeeper. Which leaves him with a transfer to a rival Premier League club.

'It's hard to see me returning to Spain. But at Manchester United, Edwin van der Sar is hanging up his gloves and people say that Arsenal are looking.

' I can't do or say anything; I renewed my contract with Liverpool last year. 'But what a player wants to do in his career is to challenge for titles.'

Although he was reminded that he has won an FA Cup with Liverpool, his response will not leave Reds fans optimistic that they will be able to hang on to one of the league's top goalkeepers.

this was told to be a incomplete interview. hence a bit distorted

Neutral Newbie

Go to Arsenal!! They badly need you! [laugh] [laugh] If this transaction will push through, who will replace him in the Pool??

if he really wants to go...i hope to arsenal. pls not to man u. it'll b worse than torres to chelsea.

i say let him go to chelsea.

chelsea is the only club where if he go, wont strengthen the club one.

Arsernal need a good GK badly so going there, they might become championship material.

i say let him go to chelsea.

chelsea is the only club where if he go, wont strengthen the club one.

Arsernal need a good GK badly so going there, they might become championship material.

u man-u fan ah?

Feb 9, 2011

I heard he will be going to either Arsenal or Man U...

Both teams need him badly.. Van der Sar retiring after this season.. We , the Gunners , desperately need good goalkeeper.. [bigcry]