VW Golf Owners

Sleepy-T

Anyone can help to advice if the Comfortline or Highline is better value for money?

-Comfortline - 99k - fairly basic but has 17in wheels, auto rainsensing and headlights, smaller HU 8in

-Highline - approx 15k more - with 18in wheels, cruise control, keyless go, active info electronic display, GPS, sunroof, larger HU 9.2in, some cosmetic differences like piano black interior paneling and dynamic signal lights, and sports suspension

A lot of the perks is unnecessary for day to day, but would u consider it value for money to get Highline?

my thoughts

if can chiamsiong to be 7K more, worth it. At 15K tough to have financial appetite.

Highline - approx 15k more - with 18in wheels,( buy outside with better rims and tires 3K ) cruise control (hardly used), keyless go (wont be missed ), active info electronic display (if its virtual cockpit is about 3K to retro fit), GPS (use WAZE ), sunroof (very pricey option ), larger HU 9.2in (if it comes with gusture control, yeah worth it), some cosmetic differences like piano black interior paneling (finger print magnet ) and dynamic signal lights ( gives it a nice touch ), and sports suspension (unless its DCC, and connected to drive mode ).

Edited by Sdf4786k
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

my thoughts

if can chiamsiong to be 7K more, worth it. At 15K tough to have financial appetite.

Highline - approx 15k more - with 18in wheels,( buy outside with better rims and tires 3K ) cruise control (hardly used), keyless go (wont be missed ), active info electronic display (if its virtual cockpit is about 3K to retro fit), GPS (use WAZE ), sunroof (very pricey option ), larger HU 9.2in (if it comes with gusture control, yeah worth it), some cosmetic differences like piano black interior paneling (finger print magnet ) and dynamic signal lights ( gives it a nice touch ), and sports suspension (unless its DCC, and connected to drive mode ).

Thanks bro. 

Decided on the HIGHLINE.

not too sure which year model leh..

2010 Golf is the Mk6 platform.

If engine is 1.4l, then it is either the 122hp (turbo) or the 160hp (twincharged).

Both are using the 7 speed dry clutch DSG.

I assume you are going for a renewed COE car? If your budget can stretch, you can consider getting a GTI instead. The 6 speed wet clutch DSG is much more robust and reliable and the car performance is much better. Difference in depreciation is about 6k+ per year for the GTI versus 4k+ for the normal 1.4 Golf.

waht about the 1.2 TSI Golf? 2015 model?

That's the MK7 Golf using the MQB platform so definitely better than the older MK6.

Not sure about the 1.2 TSI engine as I never owned one before but I think it should be ok. FC should be pretty good I believe.

Do a test drive and see if you like it. Having owned many brands of car before, I would say Golf is one of the best handling FWD hatch.

• Praise 1

2010 Golf is the Mk6 platform.

If engine is 1.4l, then it is either the 122hp (turbo) or the 160hp (twincharged).

Both are using the 7 speed dry clutch DSG.

I assume you are going for a renewed COE car? If your budget can stretch, you can consider getting a GTI instead. The 6 speed wet clutch DSG is much more robust and reliable and the car performance is much better. Difference in depreciation is about 6k+ per year for the GTI versus 4k+ for the normal 1.4 Golf.

Your numbers don't add up. The 1.4 Golf depreciation is 9k for 1.4 comfort line and 10k per year for 1.4 highline, and for the 2.0 GTI, about 15k per year. I do agree that the wet clutch is miles better, and the OMV for GTI is quite a bit higher, but it all depends on your use. The GTI to me seems less practical, in the higher COE category with higher road tax and is more of a Golf enthusiast's car. The 1.4 probably hits the right spot when it comes to practicality and affordability, if a german hatch is what one if after.

Your numbers don't add up. The 1.4 Golf depreciation is 9k for 1.4 comfort line and 10k per year for 1.4 highline, and for the 2.0 GTI, about 15k per year. I do agree that the wet clutch is miles better, and the OMV for GTI is quite a bit higher, but it all depends on your use. The GTI to me seems less practical, in the higher COE category with higher road tax and is more of a Golf enthusiast's car. The 1.4 probably hits the right spot when it comes to practicality and affordability, if a german hatch is what one if after.

The numbers I gave were for renewed COE and gathered from SG Carmart. I wrote this in my response "I assume you are going for a renewed COE car? ".

Renewed COE MK6 GTI - https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=800702&DL=1079

Renewed COE MK6 1.4 (122hp) - https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=813812&DL=2008

End of the day, it really depends on what the buyer is looking for and his priorities. I am on my 3rd Golf in the last 5 years. The first one was a MK6 Twincharged and I paid close to 13k per annum in depreciation. I kinda regretted it because for about 2k pa year more, I could be enjoying the GTI and after 2 years, I traded it in for a MK6 GTI at 15k+ pa depreciation. 

The MK6 GTI is great fun (stage 1+ ECU tune) but FC really bad, struggle to go past 8km/litre even though my driving style isn't very aggressive. The EA888 Gen 1 engine on the MK6 GTI will have carbon build up on the intake valves due to direction injection and I spent 400+ on walnut blasting to get rid of the carbon.

As the MK6 GTI had less than 2 years left, I started to look for another car and had wanted to get a 3 series and test drove the 316 and really like the gearbox (ZF 8 speed is really nice !) but the car doesn't handle as well and ended up getting a MK7 GTI instead. The EA888 gen 3 engine on the MK7 GTI is amazing as the FC is really good (can get 12km+/litre) and due to it using port injection as well (it also has direction injection), the carbon buildup isn't an issue.

Edited by Teoky

what about those 2014, 2015, 2016 VW Golf 1.4 TSI model equipped with the 7s DSG, issit still facing the issue? I am looking at it currently..

lets say both $60k + 

can get a COE renewed 2008-2009 Golf GTI and also a 2015 Golf 1.4TSI (left 5-6years COE)

Not willing to get the old golf with the GB issue, thats why i am looking at the GTI instead, or even the newer TSI version. 

what about those 2014, 2015, 2016 VW Golf 1.4 TSI model equipped with the 7s DSG, issit still facing the issue? I am looking at it currently..

lets say both $60k +

can get a COE renewed 2008-2009 Golf GTI and also a 2015 Golf 1.4TSI (left 5-6years COE)

Not willing to get the old golf with the GB issue, thats why i am looking at the GTI instead, or even the newer TSI version.

The 7 speed gearbox (dry clutch) will never be as good as the 6 speed wet clutch. However, VW knows the issue and I think it is under control now.

Whether you should get the MK7 TSI or a renewed COE MK6 GTI really depends on your priorities. If your top priority is power, handling and performance and higher FC and running cost isn't that important, go for the MK6 GTI. However, if good FC is most important, then go for the MK7 TSI. The better FC of the MK7 TSI is probably the only winning factor (other than the more up to date interior) against the MK6 GTI. The depreciation of the MK7 TSI is about 8k, slightly more than a renewed COE MK6 GTI so it is all down to running cost if you are looking at it from $ perspective.

Go and test drive both back to back, preferably at a dealer that has both models on-site.

If you are considering these two models, you probably haven't decided on your priorities yet. A test drive will definitely help you decide on your priorities.

Edited by Teoky

looking to buy a 2010 1.4 golf GTI..

current ride is 09 avante.. hand itchy lol

Good luck to you.... [lipsrsealed]  [lipsrsealed]  :mellow:

Aren’t the older models the more problematic ones?

Newer Model Golf 7 also the same....so many Scrapped. [thumbsdown]  [lipsrsealed]

Good luck to you.... [lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed]:mellow:

Newer Model Golf 7 also the same....so many Scrapped. [thumbsdown][lipsrsealed]

MK7 Golf that was scrapped may not be due to issues. Many cars from 2013 to 2014 was scrapped as the COE was very high which resulted in high depreciation. It make sense to scrap and get a new car that has lower depreciation (due to lower COE).

My Dec 2013 GTI COE is 93k and if I didn't buy the car, the dealer would have scrapped it as well.

Neutral Newbie

Hi, Im looking to buy the 2016 Mk 7 Golf 1.4 TSI R line. Have been searching around for reliability on this model but couldnt find much info though. 

I understand that this model is also using the DQ200 gearbox which is deemed to be a problematic gearbox thus far, not too sure if the issue has been resolved. 

Also I understand that this model has a higher power output (150 Bhp, 250Nm) as compared to the normal golf of 122 Bhp , 200 Nm. Thus not too sure is there also any difference between this 2 model gearbox and reliability.

Any kind souls would like to share on its reliability here will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance! :P 

Just collected my 09 golf gti. May I know where can i get a copy of the owner manual? Idk how to use the functions and all

↡ Advertisement