USA: Road Trip USA!

Genie47

The USD has fallen so much, it makes sense to visit the USA.

Thinking of a road trip from SF to LV visiting Yosemite and Death Valley along the way. Then from LV to Grand Canyon and back to LV where I will dump the car for a flight to Chicago.

Preliminary plan here.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...4.27124&z=7

Anyone done something like this? I plan to stay in SF for 2 days, Yosemite for 2 days. 1 day in Lone Pine as a stopover before hitting Death Valley for 1 or 2 days (which is around 50C when I'm visiting) and then to LV.

↡ Advertisement

Thinking of a road trip from SF to LV visiting Yosemite and Death Valley along the way. Then from LV to Grand Canyon and back to LV where I will dump the car for a flight to Chicago.

Preliminary plan here.

Anyone done something like this? I plan to stay in SF for 2 days, Yosemite for 2 days. 1 day in Lone Pine as a stopover before hitting Death Valley for 1 or 2 days (which is around 50C when I'm visiting) and then to LV.

Go for it! I hugely enjoyed myself driving a rented car in San Diego. I can only imagine how much more fun your idea would be.

Preliminary plan here.

Come back write a FR leh, and we can keep as reference :D

Enjoy! Enjoy!!! [laugh]

Covered that though not on identical route while I attended Stanford's SEP. Did both a 1 nite stopover in Yosemite and a drive through on separate occasions via different routes. I thought the longer northern route via Sacremento, Lake Tahoe then I395 route down to Yosemite from SF was more spectacular esp in Lake Tahoe area whose downtown is like a smaller version of LV.

I think the different city drop-off charges for rented car will be considerable. Should check on that first. If you are into shopping, a must visit premium outlet will be the Desert Hill one along I15 between LA & LV. This is one of the only 2 in the US (the other is Woodbury in NY) that carriers exclusive brands that are not available in others.

Jun 2011. May and Jun are the best times to see Yosemite. Jul still OK but Aug is the worst, and Memorial Day weekend.

Winter months from Nov to Mar, the US-120 (Tioga Bypass Road) is closed due to snow usually. It might be in Jun as well if snowfall is very heavy in winter and takes time to clear off.

Death Valley temperature for that time of year will be in the 40s! Jul-Aug will be 50s! I am drawn to DV due to the names. Furnace Creek, Dante's View and all the evil ominous names. People prefer to go there in winter but guess I'm not that lucky to land in Jun but to experience hell while on earth is too tempting.

Badwater is attractive because you can go to some place lower than sea level w/o diving. The route I drawn up, that stretch after the curve towards Furnace Creek goes downhill, some guy told me he went free-gear with brakes application only.

If Yosemite is to experience beauty of life. DV is to experience how beautiful death looks.

Preliminary plan here.

Rent a proper car bro..

go grand canyon must see sunrise or sunset.

it is the best view of the day.

i would get a fuel saving 2L or 2.5L car.

those V6 drinks petrol pretty fast

driving in yosemite is fun, and the view is amazing.

be daring to explore as you will find many interesting small towns along the way that you didnt plan for.

When in Yosemite, please check out Hetch Hetchy on the western portion of the part.

Great scenery and very peaceful.

3 years back I drove from SF down Highway One and then across to Sequoia and then to Yosemite.

The following week, I went up north to Lassen and then to Crater Lake. That was in spring when the weather was cooler and prices were lower and lesser people around.

This summer I will be checking out Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Glacier National Park.

Enjoy yourselves !

bro, I read your preliminary plan, please read my gentle advice below.

My trip was similar as yours, but opposite direction, viz: LA > Grand Canyon > Monument Valley > Vegas > Death Valley > Yosemite > Lake Tahoe > SF > Big Sur > LA. All in 15 days. Great fun.

Your planned Yosemite is 2 days long. I think it is enough for a short visit. We spent 2.5 days inside the park, spent a little more time relaxing and roaming around. It is a beautiful place. We entered through Tioga Pass during early June (luckily it was opened few days earlier, as the snow pile was cleared. Remember this is highlands, snow fill is present till June). Only regret: our hotel is outside the park. Need to spent one hour driving in and one hour driving out. (Zig zag up/down hill, not really fun) We should have spent a little more $ to get a room inside the park.

I am not sure when you are visiting. So, it is best to check yosemite's official website for traffic/gate announcement. You will enter the park through west gate from SF direction. less issue of gate closure due to snow. Go during early july for best experience.

You will exit the Yosemite park through Tioga pass and head towards Lone Pine. Check out any gate closure at Tioga Pass.

I stayed inside Death Valley to experience the night condition. Hotel inside is more expensive than in Lone Pine. So sad did not see any spectacular starry night though. It was a full moon night. The moon was very bright, maybe the glare hide all the stars.... sad..

If possible, leave for Death valley early from Lone Pine if you want to see sunrise in the valley. Google should give you a rough trip duration. Add 2 more hours to it, as Lone-Pine->Death Valley is very hilly, as you take more time on the road under the dark. Store more food and water for this day trip.

Driving in the dark is a debating topic. You can save more 'day' time instead of wasting on the road. And the 'day' time can be wisely on sightseeing. On the other hand, driving in the dark can be dangerous. I leave to you to decide. (I just want to add, it is a spectacular view of the Sierra highland as I drove out of death valley while heading to Lone Pine. Something I cannot see in the dark.)

Also, your trip from Death Valley > Vegas thru M-95 is a good idea. Slightly longer than the trip thru Death Valley > Pahrump > Vegas. I took Pahrump route on the recommendation from an internet forum; which gives me more sightseeing opportunity. But the trip was very hilly. M-95 route should be more smoother.

Let me know if you want more tips.

One thing, your car return office is different from source office. Incur a slight cost, nevermind about this.

Finally, just my opinion, get a Ford Fusion or Mercury Milan (intermediate category). I fell in love with these cars !!! Powerful to go up hill... they are more powerful cars around, but i just love these 2 !

have fun safe trip.

i visited some of these places some time ago... but i would say that if you are a nature lover, you might wanna spend more time in Yosemite... the valley, tioga pass and sequoia all presents different views... i stayed in Curry village for both my visits (97 and 09) and I would say that it's very commercialized now... remember to check out where the vista points are and where to get good shots of sunrise and sunset... even if you are not into photography.. those places would present a good spot to view the sunset.. if you could spare the time, Mono Lake is a good place to visit too...

As for the car, I usually book 1 size smaller and ask for a free upgrade.. an intermediate would do for you case... it's easier on the gas and depending on the car, it may be a nicer ride than a full size..

Just one advice though... pls do not rush thru your trip.. spend more time at a place to truly enjoy it...