2nd hand w203 c-class?

EventH

If you have more than 1 driver, better to consider the C200 W203 as it comes with memory seats. Moreover it has a higher OMV and bhp. Pricewise both C180 and C200 are relatively close now as compared to when they are bought new.

Cheers!

(edited)

For these German cars, you have to service and maintain, change parts regularly then can drive long time. Undercarriage stuff like steering control arm bushings, shock absorber mount, etc are necessary expenses. If got alignment problems, check to see if control arms are warped by previous owner driving hard up against kerb and potholes. May have to replace steering engine mounts and transmission mounts also. Mounts are made of rubber, which don't last long.

Rubber seals in some part of the engine must change also, as they tend to wilt quickly under our hot climate and operating temp. I am not a car expert so I am not sure specifically which seals but I have always changed mine on my cars after oil seepage is discovered after some serious mileage. Sensors in the engine also need to be changed if they are damaged by oil seepage. All these are not expensive on their own, but everything adds up lah.

But it is all worth it cos it will drive and handle like a brand new car after changing new parts.

Don't expect them to be like Toyotas. Some lady owners of Toyotas can drive for a long time without engine oil change or any parts change. Which is quite awesome engineering, if you asked me.

Edited by Viceroymenthol

Neutral Newbie

idling inconsistent, fuel injector clogged or air leaking somewhere....

hi thks4 yr advice , u seem well verse in the engine conditions of the w203 ......

btw do u happen to knw any good mech who can do full gearbox overhaul at a reasonable rate ?

Or any idea the average cost ?

i spent some 6800 in 1994 when i did my gearbox overhaul at C & C .... was really a heartache ... worst

the gearbox still jerky after that ....

hi thks4 yr advice , u seem well verse in the engine conditions of the w203 ......

btw do u happen to knw any good mech who can do full gearbox overhaul at a reasonable rate ?

i spent some 6800 in 1994 when i did my gearbox overhaul at C & C .... was really a heartache ... worst

Yup. We should all do an ATF flush every 50,000 km. It costs just $600+, compared to the $6000+ you paid for an overhaul.

(edited)

not well versed in w203. just standard mechanical knowledge which also applies to bikes.

go to MBM wheelpower, they can do a full gearbox overhaul including replacing torque converter and replacing atf

should cost no more than $5k for normal merc models

Edited by Throttle2

Neutral Newbie

not well versed in w203. just standard mechanical knowledge which also applies to bikes.

go to MBM wheelpower, they can do a full gearbox overhaul including replacing torque converter and replacing atf

should cost no more than $5k for normal merc models

Hi would like to find out why the engine gearbox just went out of transmission ( autogear dis engaged )

and car just travelled free-geared ???

After which , gearbox just went dead .... what could be the fault ?

Torque converter failure was one reason .... are there other possibilities ?

What are the normal charges for replacing a torque converter ?

What are the charges for gearbox overhaul assuming the torque converter is ok ?

ps advice

100K Km.?Forget it,alot of problem will start coming in..!

I'd think 100K is nothing for a Mercedes.

Yup. We should all do an ATF flush every 50,000 km. It costs just $600+, compared to the $6000+ you paid for an overhaul.

Must do ATF flush? I tot it's not recommended by Mercedes? Just change the ATF will do? Doesn't your Merc have a drain plug to totally drain off the ATF like the W124?

I'd think 100K is nothing for a Mercedes.

Must do ATF flush? I tot it's not recommended by Mercedes? Just change the ATF will do? Doesn't your Merc have a drain plug to totally drain off the ATF like the W124?

Where got not recommended by mercedes. Even cycle and carriage will insist on ATF flush at 60,000 km, which is part of the 60k maintenance package.

I used to own W209 with V6, regularly do heavy acceleration and high RPM gear shifts. Flushed and changed once at 50,000km at MBM, the second time changed but not flushed at 100,000km at Riverview auto. The guy at riverview told me that they didn't have the flushing equipment and can only drain most of it and replace with new one. Draining actually is good enough, according to them, but you must be aware that not all of the old ATF will be gone, some will still remain in your transmission system, naturally.

Some BMW models maybe the higher end ones with ZF transmission, i was told, have so called "lifetime assurance" on the ATF, meaning no need to change ATF forever. I find that weird. The workshop tech told me that better dun flush ATF if got no problem, dun even touch the transmission. Later open up the transmission and flush liao then problems all come out. But many of us go and flush the ATF anyway!

Hi would like to find out why the engine gearbox just went out of transmission ( autogear dis engaged )

and car just travelled free-geared ???

After which , gearbox just went dead .... what could be the fault ?

Torque converter failure was one reason .... are there other possibilities ?

What are the normal charges for replacing a torque converter ?

What are the charges for gearbox overhaul assuming the torque converter is ok ?

ps advice

depends on which model

torque converter is main culprit as i understand.

gearbox overhual, i have no personal experience but i understand a good one will besically take apart everything and clean up replacing worn out parts as required. so the cost should depend on the worn out parts and the job complexity.

↡ Advertisement