MPV Question

Achtung

Neutral Newbie

i am aiming to keep my monthly total cost of car ownership to less than $2k per month. hence i can only look at Cat A MPVs, preferably Korean or Jap, with relatively low fuel consumption.

i am aware that i'll be trading off looks, rear protection, acceleration, 2nd and 3rd row comfort, etc.

however there seems to be not much review especially on comparisons of such MPVs in local forums. i understand that such low engine capacity MPV models are less than a handful.

my first choice and likely MPV candidate is Honda Freed but i am concerned on the potential downsides of getting a parallel import.

else i will go for a hatchback Jazz or sedan Vios.

Do consider c4gp, to me rear aircon is very important for mpv...

I agree. Citroen's grand c4 picasso is quite attractive for me as well. Rear air cons, and spacious. The engine needs some getting used to though...

Neutral Newbie

To sidetrack a bit:

Last night, my MPV Wish alternator light came on the dashboard at Malaysia Johore (Yong peng). Sensing that something was wrong, I started to rush back to SG.

Before the second link toll, the air-con turned off, followed by the windscreen being unable to function, as well as the power steering. I had to open the door to submit my passport at the MY custom. After leaving the MY customs, the car started to jerk, the meter died. I turned off the headlights, moved to third lane to prepare as I had no idea when the car would stop functioning at. I was hoping to stop in Singapore, past the customs, but the car was slowly losing power despite my efforts in stepping on the oil pedal. Finally, before I reached Tuas, 100m after the Straits of Johor, I had to stop. I tried to restart the car, but it was all in vain. I realized I should have stopped the car at the MY customs, and call for help there.

I stopped the car and locked it, walked two lamp-posts away (for safety reasons). Tried to call AAS, but they said that do not service the area in between MY and and SG customs. Another tow company cited the same reason when I tried calling them as well. Left with no choice, I walked all the way back to Singapore customs to report the break down of the vehicle.

At the SG cutoms, four very helpful officers gave me two tow truck numbers to call. One officer said that the tow company is an agent for the government, and hence might be unwilling to tow my vehicle. However, he asked me to try anyway and I did so anxiously. When the call was answered, he asked if $150 was an acceptable price to pay, and I agreed. I then walked back to where my vehicle was parked, and had an excellent view of the sea for another half an hour.

When the tow truck arrived, it cleared the SG customs at the lorry bay. I left my car at the workshop once it was towed there.

The point I wish to make here is that I hope everyone will not repeat my mistake. Aside from the embarrassment of being scrutinized by all the cars that passed by, it is also extremely dangerous (and not to mention illegal!) as the cars and buses zoom by at an extremely fast speed. Hence, if your car is starting to become temperamental, it may be a better option to stop at either the MY or SG customs, instead of getting stranded in the middle and not sure of which side to turn to.

I agree. Citroen's grand c4 picasso is quite attractive for me as well. Rear air cons, and spacious. The engine needs some getting used to though...

The "prince" engine is a gem, is the gearbox that need to get use to it. Normally it takes just a few day to adapt the semi auto gearbox. Once u get used to it, u will appreciate more especially highway cruising n overtaking...cheers

(edited)

In the 1st place, the alternator is NOT charging when light-up and you should have "Off" the air-con and lowering the windows (NOT windscreens my friend), radio and safely drive back to SG.

You're lucky that you're after the MY Custom or else you have to hire MY Tow-truck to tow-back to SG and the charges is from close to RM1K to RM 1.5K. Heng Ah !

Edited by Trafficwatch

alternatively if you know your alternator is failing, but a new battery and has it stand by in the car.

once the old battery is dead, diy and change to the new one. That should able to hold it for a while and still able to drive the car.

Beat waiting for a tow truck ....definitely

Neutral Newbie

Only when I talked to my mechanic about this incident, many people had the wrong conception that the battery indicator sign appearing at the dash board is a sympton of battery failure.

Initially, I thought as long as I don't switch off the engine, I can continue to drive back to Singapore without much problem.

I thank you for your suggestion and the lesson learnt.

The newly launch Renault Grand Scenic 1.5 dci runs on dissel.

It's euro v and has a fuel efficiency of 20km per litre (shown on the label). The SE says can use the euro 2 diesel in M'sia but not too frequent, as the high sulphur may choke the injectors.

Current price is ard $150k. Has anyone booked it :D

↡ Advertisement