Given a Choice Would You Choose To Be Immortal?

NightWind

Ponder over this one. Its not that simple. There must be meaning to our existence. Usually the one that we love give us the reason to linger on and give meaning and happiness to our lives....

↡ Advertisement

Immortal?

Why not, if the body can renew and stay healthy and fit.

But if immortal and stay in hell with permanent physcial old age diseases....better not.

Plants can be immortal like....live a very long life.

Many trees are hundreds years old.

If you consider a creepers plant that keeps growing and sprout new roots, it can grow endlessly if the condition is right. That is immortal in a way, provided no one kills it.

Imagine attending your wife, children, grand children, brothers and sisters and friends never ending funeral one by one... [bigcry]

Immortal?

But if immortal and stay in hell with permanent physcial old age diseases....better not.

Immortality is more tolerable if we have an ageless body....but even then its no joy. Imagine 200 years on when everyone you love has long gone...

Its the relationships around us and the people that we love who give real meaning to our lives. And happiness is real only when it can be shared.

Did you watch Bicentinal Man, or read Anne Rice's Vampire chronicles.....they all discuss at some stage the curse of immortality.

Sure you have all the time in the world and all the money too...but all that is meaningless without someone to share it with. It will be a lonely shallow existence. There are some who will like it...mostly the loners...but the average person may not like it at all.

And looking at the world at age 100yrs old is one thing...when u r 300 years old its another...and when you are 2000 years old...your perspective would be so so different and alien that you will not think at the same level as a normal human being....even with an ageless body it will be difficult to fit in socially...

Immortal?

The oldest livingthing is a tree...i think i saw it on BBC world...its supposed to be over 2000 years old and even then its not immortal...

Time ceases to have meaning when you are immortal. And trees are different...there is no social element, no concept of relations and love...they just hang aroound...and they also have their kin to hang around with so its very different.

The other thing we need to consider is whether the immortality package comes with an option to self-terminate...what if that option is not included? What happens if you pull the trigger and nothing happens...now that would be a real curse.

Its one thing to be immortal (i.e. be ageless and have the ABILITY TO LIVE FOREVER), its another thing when you are FORCED to linger on and cannot make an exit....and be confined forever to this miserable mortal plane....

Plants can be immortal like....live a very long life.

Many trees are hundreds years old.

If you consider a creepers plant that keeps growing and sprout new roots, it can grow endlessly if the condition is right. That is immortal in a way, provided no one kills it.

Do I feel emotion when I step on a cockroach?

Do I feel emotion when I spray insecticide on lizards and mosquitos?

Do I feel emotion when I get my Hamburger and Pork chop?

Do I feel sad untill I break down and no mood to do other things when a close relative die?

No point to discuss an impossible situation and conclude that it will be miserable/pointless/painfull/etc to be immortal.

Poor people will aspire to be rich.

But the rich will tell the poor better to be healthy instead.

The healthy will want to try dangerous X-games and climb mountains.

The mountain residents will want to live in the vibrant cities.

The city slickers will want to live by the seaside or mountain resorts.

I realised that this life is all about wants and regrets and the aiming for the unattainable dream!

And trees are different...there is no social element, no concept of relations and love...they just hang aroound...and they also have their kin to hang around with so its very different.

1) If the doctor tells you you got 2 weeks to live due to terminal cancer.....What will you do?

2) If the doctor tells you you got at most 3 years to live due to growing cancer cells.....What will you do?

3) If a fortune teller tells you you got 3 years to live and will die in an accident.....What will you do?

4) We all know that life can be short or long.....depends on luck and accidents.. can die anytime due to heart attack or falling windows or car accidents.....What will you do?

Are there any differences in the choice we made from the four different scenario?

Being immortal will be one of the solution for the above four situation.

Regarding your examples in 1-4, i dont thinnk immortality is a solution. The real solution you seek is to be able to live out the rest of your meaningfull life with the people that you love. Using immortality to try to fix it is like using a nuclear bomb to nuke a cockroach....and the cockroach may still survive.

If for instance you were 130 years old and all those whom you love have already crossed over to the otherside, you may perhaps welcome being given only 2 weeks or 3 years to live????

On the otherhand if those around you also had immortality...its a different story...and you may welcome spending the rest of eternity with them...or maybe even then perhaps not as people change with time...even immortal ones.

In the Vampire Chronicles, Lestat addressed this by making a child vampire and also by turning Loiuse....so that he would have company for eternity...

1) If the doctor tells you you got 2 weeks to live due to terminal cancer.....What will you do?

2) If the doctor tells you you got at most 3 years to live due to growing cancer cells.....What will you do?

3) If a fortune teller tells you you got 3 years to live and will die in an accident.....What will you do?

4) We all know that life can be short or long.....depends on luck and accidents.. can die anytime due to heart attack or falling windows or car accidents.....What will you do?

Are there any differences in the choice we made from the four different scenario?

Being immortal will be one of the solution for the above four situation.

Neutral Newbie

lol... yes i want to be immortal

woohoo!

but provided im still young , healthy and strong... strong as in both me and my didi :D

actually the human body is designed to live very very long. Our body as we know it, has been designed for self renewal. The Bible has recorded that during BC times, the first few generation of humans lives almost 900 - 1000 years old.

But climate change, the activities that we do, the food that we eat and other factors made our "renewal organs" weak and then it just go down from there. Hence the short life that we have now that is less than a 80 for most people.

If one take care of the body, do exercise regularly, and eat only organic vege food and drink only plain water (totally no processed food), I think going near 90-100 years old (or even above that) healthily is not an issue.

Edited by Icedbs

Immortality is more tolerable if we have an ageless body....but even then its no joy. Imagine 200 years on when everyone you love has long gone...

Its the relationships around us and the people that we love who give real meaning to our lives. And happiness is real only when it can be shared.

Did you watch Bicentinal Man, or read Anne Rice's Vampire chronicles.....they all discuss at some stage the curse of immortality.

Sure you have all the time in the world and all the money too...but all that is meaningless without someone to share it with. It will be a lonely shallow existence. There are some who will like it...mostly the loners...but the average person may not like it at all.

And looking at the world at age 100yrs old is one thing...when u r 300 years old its another...and when you are 2000 years old...your perspective would be so so different and alien that you will not think at the same level as a normal human being....even with an ageless body it will be difficult to fit in socially...

U can always find someone to share it with.