Off-peak car owner fined $130,000

Parkingidiot

Off-peak car owner fined $130,000

A MAN was fined $130,000 in what was believed to be one of the biggest fines levied against an off-peak car offender, a Straits Times report said.

Johnson Fok Jun Hong pleaded guilty to driving his Subaru Impreza 26 times last year without a valid supplementary licence. Eight of the offences happened on Dec 2 alone.

The prosecution had argued that Fok's latest violations were committed after the Land Transport Authority introduced the e-Day Licence system on Nov 23, 2009, to replace the physical coupon system.

The e-Day scheme made it easier for motorists to buy their supplementary licences. They can buy them 2 days after using their weekend cars at more outlets such as SingPost branches and AXS stations. Each supplementary licence costs $20.

Fok pleaded for leniency and said that he had been an Institute of Mental Health patient since 2006, and therefore, did not recall things that he did.

But District Judge Salina Ishak said his IMH report did not show any links between his mental condition and the commission of the offences.

The judge also said that the timing and location of several violations indicated "some degree of regularity". "It can be inferred that these trips were not made by someone who was driving aimlessly

↡ Advertisement

if its me , i will definitely do 130 days. Free lodging , food and hmmm entertainment

[laugh] .. entertainment... I think once in Changi hotel... you'll end up being the entertainment for the other "hotel guests" [blush]

[laugh] .. entertainment... I think once in Changi hotel... you'll end up being the entertainment for the other "hotel guests" [blush]

hehehehe :D

But seriously 130k or 130 days? 130 days isnt that long . I for one cant make back 130k in 130 days so might as well hahaha

if its me , i will definitely do 130 days. Free lodging , food and hmmm entertainment

he is mad...take this type of gamble..$130k go buy a 2nd hand normal car may still enough to pay down payment for a HDB flat.

wait a sec... I just read carefully... "Eight of the offences happened on Dec 2 alone"

Eh... can kena fine 8 times for 1 day offence, meh?

Off peak license is 1 day affair, right? $20 per day? so - matter how many times he is seen without a coupon in 1 day should still consider 1 day right? I'm confused how they count 8 offence in one day.

The 8 offense in a day for not buying OPC licence seems to indicate of the unfair law against poor citizens.

So if one steal a packet of M&Ms chocolates, the charge can be 'stealing more than 30 colorful chocolates'??

Anyone tom, dick & kuku can get a driving license even with mental problems.

[laugh] so now, in addition to eyesight test and color blindness test, they need to do an IQ test before issue PDL at the driving centres... !!! :blink:

Neutral Newbie

wait a sec... I just read carefully... "Eight of the offences happened on Dec 2 alone"

Eh... can kena fine 8 times for 1 day offence, meh?

Off peak license is 1 day affair, right? $20 per day? so - matter how many times he is seen without a coupon in 1 day should still consider 1 day right? I'm confused how they count 8 offence in one day.

I think he was 'caught' red handled eight times that day, either by LTA wardens, ERP gantries, carpark gantry etc.. Now very easy to compared since all electronic.. Pass by one ERP but no buy $20 auto go to LTA system, it was reported in today Straits Times..

I think he was 'caught' red handled eight times that day, either by LTA wardens, ERP gantries, carpark gantry etc.. Now very easy to compared since all electronic.. Pass by one ERP but no buy $20 auto go to LTA system, it was reported in today Straits Times..

I agree that may be the case that he had been spotted 8x... but it should not mean that he should be penalised 8x in a single day for the same offence.

I am not trying to side the OPC driver in his offence but the principle is wrong...

An analogy: if 8 policemen see someone killing someone - the culprit should still be charged only once for the murder, not because 8 different cops see him he can be charged 8 times.

The 8 offense in a day for not buying OPC licence seems to indicate of the unfair law against poor citizens.

So if one steal a packet of M&Ms chocolates, the charge can be 'stealing more than 30 colorful chocolates'??

I think they are trying to tell other OPC owners not to play play with the laws. If they can catch that bugger 8 times in a day, what is your chance if you decided to try your luck. :D

I think they are trying to tell other OPC owners not to play play with the laws. If they can catch that bugger 8 times in a day, what is your chance if you decided to try your luck. :D

[laugh] yep.... looks like the gahmen really win with this change of OPC rules - dun need to print paper to eat money, just eyeball the suckers and make them pay the fines!