Go back to old off-peak car licence system

Latka

Feb 22, 2011

Go back to old off-peak car licence system

I HAVE owned an off-peak car for the past five years and initially, I applauded the change to the electronic licensing system as it removed the hassle of motorists having to make the trip to the post office to purchase the paper coupons.

The new scheme also gives an extra grace period of a day for motorists to make the purchase online - which means, we could drive first and purchase later. However, my thoughts changed after April last year.

I drove my car once thinking I would purchase the licence online when I got home. However, I forgot to do so and by the time I remembered, I had already missed the deadline by half a day. I contacted the Land Transport Authority (LTA) promptly and filed a report of my mistake. But without any consideration, a hefty fine of $500 was imposed on me. I had to make several appeals before the fine was reduced to $200.

Unfortunately, the same thing happened again recently, except this time, it was my brother who drove the car. He entrusted me with the purchase of the licence and I totally forgot about it until we were notified by LTA of the offence.

LTA said the off-peak car offences had shot up 10 times from the year before ("More off-peak car cheats nabbed after tighter checks"; yesterday). Are there any statistics on the percentage of such offences arising from innocent acts of forgetfulness and not intentional misuse of the scheme?

The relevant authorities may want to relook the current system to avoid this problem. For example, perhaps an SMS or e-mail reminder could be sent to the vehicle owner to purchase the e-Day licence once LTA detects an off-peak vehicle on the road without a licence.

I somehow prefer the old paper coupon system as the problem of forgetting to purchase the licence and ending up with a hefty fine will never occur.

Louise Tan (Ms)

Another char bor blaming everything else but her own self for mistakes.

Think AWARE shud be put on a tighter leash so as not to produce so many whiners.

↡ Advertisement

Forgetfullness is not a good excused. I am driving OPC and I think this is the best system considering the advance of technology.

LTA is sending out the msg that if every motorists give excuse of forgetfulness, the cunning ones wl benefit most.

maybe they should have "bulk" purchase

they already have bulk purchase... u can buy in advance as well... but the problem is people tend to forget to indicate when they use.... to indicate the use of the car, u need to enter the system and use ur e-coupon....

I think an sms is a good option though to differentiate between cheaters and forgetfulness.... but if the person does not carry a phone how????

LTA is sending out the msg that if every motorists give excuse of forgetfulness, the cunning ones wl benefit most.

1 sms cost 5c and every time LTA send messages to average 25,000 vehicles (we have 50,000 OPC) who drove daily, a lot of public money is spend on this OPC divers ..... [mad]

Stay this way and let her [furious] all she can......... :ph34r:

Cost of an SMS is way less than 5cents.... However, i think the method of sending reminder is crap and people will abuse it. If I'm a OPC driver, i wouldn't buy the license unless LTA sent me a reminder because if there's no reminder, it means that LTA is not aware that i drove the car out. So why should i buy the license? It's the driver fault if she did not take the initative to remember it. Just set a reminder on your phone is not very hard right?

Last time complain too hassle. No nearby post office. Holiday post office closed.

Buy coupons first keep in car is waste of money. Tearing coupons waste time. Put that big coupon on windscreen blocks vision. Paper is not environmental. No coupons but need to drive to post office to buy how.

Emergency no coupons how to drive car to hospital to save people.

All the above excuses and more were their complains...pushing the blame on post office and coupons faults!!

KNN.....now still want to blame gov never give time SMS to remind them to buy!

PHUI.....alll a bunch of tok c--k OPC owners.

They got time to bath and change clothes before going out or not?

They got time to queue up to buy ToTo 4D or not?

They go time to go NTUC to buy rice and bread or not?

Forget to eat breakfast lunch dinner or not?

In look down on this letter writer!!

Can.....gov can SMS to remind them.

Just send the reminder SMS every two days...' did you drive and buy your license yet'.

Soon they will complain about the SMS.

Cannot satisfy citizens lah.

Give budget goodies...also say not enough.

Cost of an SMS is way less than 5cents.... However, i think the method of sending reminder is crap and people will abuse it. If I'm a OPC driver, i wouldn't buy the license unless LTA sent me a reminder because if there's no reminder, it means that LTA is not aware that i drove the car out. So why should i buy the license? It's the driver fault if she did not take the initative to remember it. Just set a reminder on your phone is not very hard right?

they want SMS can lah. pay from their own pocket.

instead of saving 17K for getting OPC. change it to 10K.

instead of saving on road Tax. they pay full road tax lor.

lta should put taxi meters in OPC cars. the meter will on by itself every times the car starts.

every end of the month pay by the meter through GIRO!

or a devise connecting to the internet every times the car starts, every details send to a server. opc car owner pays for the device and the internet charge!

Edited by Tom_kkh

There should be a law banning forgetful ppl from driving a car....

wah like that cannot leh..... later all the 'forgetful' law all come out.....

forget to submit report.... ban from office work...

forget to pay worker.... ban from becoming boss

forget to maintain prison...... ban from become minister?????

↡ Advertisement