Used car dealers tampering odometer readings

Grix17

Neutral Newbie

My current ride (2nd hand car) has been tampered also by either the previous owner or the dealer.

I've called LTA and they told me to contact the police and the police will do the investigation.

As such, the enforcement officers will handle the case.

Not sure what the outcome will be.

Luckily, I got to know the actual mileage of my current ride from the authorised dealer, if not i'll be wondering why my maintenance will be so high.

and also i've got the documents of the mileage when i first bought the car.

If not, they(dealer or owner) might take action back on me.

↡ Advertisement

Happened to My previous ride too.

Sold it to AD of a conti brand and they have the record of the mileage when traded in.

But saw the car in sgcarmart and it showing abt half (which is 60k diff) of what when traded in.

Karma to the dealer as it's still there after 4 mths.

can share the link here?

Turbocharged

Looks like it's a widespread practice.

I wonder if the Motor Traders' Association is monitoring the situation.

I have posted this before, but the NZMTA has issued an advisory to their dealers that the practise of odo tampering is "endemic" in Singapore.

To me, the government of Singapore should actually be ashamed of this, however they don't seem to care.

Turbocharged

Looks like it's a widespread practice.

I wonder if the Motor Traders' Association is monitoring the situation.

yeah lor, strange that every car in sgcarmart has a mileage of at most 60K plus...even for 5 year old cars? all the drivers in sgp so conservative ah?

yeah lor, strange that every car in sgcarmart has a mileage of at most 60K plus...even for 5 year old cars? all the drivers in sgp so conservative ah?

Yeah, but look at the auction cars.

Those show TRUE mileage.

Neutral Newbie

i got my stream from a dealer as well, used.

mileage showed 32k + from odo for a 2.5 year old car.

Don't have proof of prev servicing nor any records from AD coz its PI car..

STA grade A ... ( STA's integrity under scrutiny for coffee money cases ) took it with a pinch of salt.

Went to service some wear and tear at my neighbour's garage, purely do repair and svcing only, told me honestly that the car didnt look like it travelled only 30+k KM..

ALthough springs and absorbers are good, no leaks, brake pads, tires all worn off .. 30+k wont wear off the tyres nor brake pads.

So LLST, pray everyday that its really a 30+k KM car and also dont break down.

But lesson learnt here, buy from AD new, or direct owners.

If wanna go dealers, must stick to a few principles even though u like the car alot.

1) must avoid PI cars unless got receipt for last servicing from a reputable garage, otherwise might be just in cahoots with dealer

2) check for accident repairs

3) listen carefully when test drive for strange noises, usually the sales guy will sit beside u n chatter off.. after makeing sure radio works, turn it off, den start driving.

4) check for obvious wear and tear, small corners, rubber sealage at door pull out n see... got any color or repair marks, pull up rubber, 3M mats to check for any wear n tear.

5) send for inspection time, bring the car yourself for inspection at STA or where-ever.. dun let the dealer do for you just for convenience sake.

6) If there is a forum for that make, register as a member and check whether is the prev owner a member as well. Just to tally what u see at the dealer and what was sold to the dealer.. accessories and such are ok, but check whether got accident, any previous major repairs, mileage blah ... If its at the dealer location, most likely its already sold to the dealer, prev owner will be more than happy to assist in the pre purchasing decision.

many more to be added regarding the horror stories of car dealers.. there are good n reputable dealers, its the black sheeps that are spoling the names..

Do your own checks diligently. !

• Praise 1

Supersonic

I have just seen cases of used car dealers adjusting the mileage of the cars advertised on SGCarMart.

Is this against the law?

My recent ex-ride is one such case.

this is damn blardy common. LTA prob knows abt this but ain't doing anything abt it. bloody hopeless lot. if there is no cat or the fat cat is sleeping, of course the mice will play.

Direct less hassle. Si mi kopi money or football fees are excluded.

moral of the story....try ur best to buy a used car from a direct owner full stop

Changing of mileage is obviously a case of cheating, otherwise, how to estimate the actual wear and tear of those parts which require special attention? :angry:

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Report for what? IT'S NOT A CRIME.

The "crime" (such as it can be called a crime in a civil matter) is in cheating the buyer by false mileage.

This is well established.

This is misrepresentation.

It is fraudulent, cheating & a felony.

Now that the lemon laws are in place, it is easier to demand amends.

• Praise 1

I have some documentary proof as I record every fueling for my ex-ride. That's all I have.

My last fueling puts the mileage at > 62k.

Can also check with my workshop the record for 60k servicing.

This is the link to the advertisement:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=158040&DL=1168

The mileage does matter because it's a hybrid and hybrid batteries have a limited lifespan.

I can see tat the 2nd dealer is member of SVTA! I even remember one of the 2nd dealer is also member of both CASETRUST n SVTA!!! How to buy 2nd car anymore as someone mentioned some direct owner sellers also doing this??? [bigcry]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I can see tat the 2nd dealer is member of SVTA! I even remember one of the 2nd dealer is also member of both CASETRUST n SVTA!!! How to buy 2nd car anymore as someone mentioned some direct owner sellers also doing this??? [bigcry]

The way forward is for the govt to get tough and make winding of odo an offense in and of itself.

Kind of like ciggies - just to have posession of foreign ciggies in SG is an offense (attracting a $500 fine) - dun matter where or why bought.

At the moment winding of odo is NOT an offense. And even if do, and on sell the car, the offense is a contract law offense - not against the law in and of itself.

It surprising that no action has been taken on the matter until now. I know other countries have very specific laws against such a practise, and if you were shown to have sold a car with a wound odo you would be in trouble with the state, on top of whatever contract you have broken with the buyer.

(edited)

buy direct from owners is the safest.

Dont get yourself screwed!

u can get a meter reset device from internet for less than $200.

than sell the car $800 more, u still earn $400.

Edited by Tom_kkh

Turbocharged

u can get a meter reset device from internet for less than $200.

than sell the car $800 more, u still earn $400.

Psst.....what sort of mathematics is this?

• Praise 1

I dunno if it's possible. But they advertise online with low mileage but sell with actual mileage. Since some won't check alr.

The best system would be to send all cars to lta inspection before selling. Dealers must see the cert that states the actual mileage before buying it over. And that cert must go with the car. Turn who pays for the inspection? The seller. Maybe charge 20 bucks enough. And the inspection will be done by pte companies with independent overseas auditors.

↡ Advertisement