Used car dealers tampering odometer readings

Grix17

Neutral Newbie

The car dealer claimed on his advert that the car was agent maintained & recently done major servicing.

When i called Wearnes in Jan 2011, they told me the last servicing for the car was Feb 13, 2007, that was 4yrs ago. How recent is that in terms of a lifespan of a COE?

When I asked them for service records since they claim the car recently went for major servicing, they gave me their mechanic's workshop who apparently dont have any records.

Isnt this a load of kokanbul?

What a coincidence that the car they are selling was also serviced by their group.

The 5.5 yr old car has a 95k mileage. This sounds about right but why do I have a nagging feeling that the mileage could be much higher than this?

sigh...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Look at the other side on the coin - if car can clock such a high mileage, it's reliable. No doubt, future maintenance will be higher due to wear and tear. But, better than getting a real low mileage car (which spend too much time in workshop or home due to downtime).

Turbocharged

I just checked how much my car is selling for...

more than 50% of the listings all say "low mileage" Really cuckoo like that.

Sync the odometer into the ECU. Using EPROM. That way, it will be too costly and troublesome to tweak.

plus encrypt the data.

It'll almost be impossible to tweak.

(edited)

yeah...and how you going to do it?

128bit AES

easy to read plain text.

to tweak, must decrypt the cipher text.

then can

Edited by Mllcg

I just checked how much my car is selling for...

more than 50% of the listings all say "low mileage" Really cuckoo like that.

i've seen adverts in sgcarmart tat say "low mileage" for a 1-yr old car with 36000 km.... [crazy]

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

The car dealer claimed on his advert that the car was agent maintained & recently done major servicing.

When i called Wearnes in Jan 2011, they told me the last servicing for the car was Feb 13, 2007, that was 4yrs ago. How recent is that in terms of a lifespan of a COE?

When I asked them for service records since they claim the car recently went for major servicing, they gave me their mechanic's workshop who apparently dont have any records.

Isnt this a load of kokanbul?

What a coincidence that the car they are selling was also serviced by their group.

The 5.5 yr old car has a 95k mileage. This sounds about right but why do I have a nagging feeling that the mileage could be much higher than this?

sigh...

What car is that?

psssst, show me where to get my 6series odometer adjusted leh ..... I give you $20 kopi money lah...

[cool] thanks

I cant tell you over the forum where to get it done. If you know the right sources, it costs abt $500 to do it due to double memory or something like that...

i know of a friend who bought a low mileage (Best Man Wins) with full AD service record. however within a week, his car overheat. So he called the AD to tow the car and send back to check blah blah blah.. Guess what the service adviser told him? The reason for the overheating is due to the car being under utilised. LOLOLOL

This dealer is pure KHUM GONG

this one also tweaked. look at the reported mileage as opposed to the mileage that appears on the odo in the photo. dealer take the right shots :)

Mondy

Mondy pic

(edited)

this one also tweaked. look at the reported mileage as opposed to the mileage that appears on the odo in the photo. dealer take the right shots :)

Mondy

Mondy pic

You're sharp .. pretty dumb dealer there.

Mileage already so high, what's the point of quoting 25k less?

Edited by Grix17
  • Praise 1

I cant tell you over the forum where to get it done. If you know the right sources, it costs abt $500 to do it due to double memory or something like that...

I heard some bros here say $50 enough to tweak liao leh, BMW more ex issit?

50 bucks is not enough... I can tell u.

3 digit.

I heard some bros here say $50 enough to tweak liao leh, BMW more ex issit?