Used car dealers tampering odometer readings

Grix17

50 bucks is not enough... I can tell u.

3 digit.

Hmmm, 3digits but I think worth it for dealers la.

↡ Advertisement

U cn never tweak it to zero. Also, it can be tweaked to near what u want but not EXACTLY. FOr eg, u want 40,000, it cannot be tweaked to 40000 choon choon maybe 40679 kms etc

Might as well tweak to zero better.

I cant tell you over the forum where to get it done. If you know the right sources, it costs abt $500 to do it due to double memory or something like that...

$500???

idiot then pay $500....

i know ppl who will do it for free... [laugh]

plus encrypt the data.

It'll almost be impossible to tweak.

If it is to be written to the EEPROM or some other storage device, an encryption algorithm can be implemented between the ECU and the chip, encrypting it b4 the data is written. Just like your cashcard and ezlink cards, the data are also encrypted.

If it is to be written to the EEPROM or some other storage device, an encryption algorithm can be implemented between the ECU and the chip, encrypting it b4 the data is written. Just like your cashcard and ezlink cards, the data are also encrypted.

EEPROM easy to flash leh. Just use ultraviolet light. Use EPROM or prom can le. Then encryption use 128bit aes. Takes abt 2 mil years to go through the whole list of algorithms. Btw 128 bit= 2^128 combinations

Neutral Newbie

used car buyers that prefer to buy a low mileage car than a higher one are a funny lot. That is why there is a "market" for them. Dealers are just matching the demands called for by these naive car buyers..the fun part is they themselves usually came in with high milleage cars and on their next purchased used car, they would choose a presuming low mileage ride, over a better conditioned but higher mileage one. Thier trade in car went through the cleansing process and out came a low mileage car for the next potiential bloke that thinks like him. and the cycle continues....what an irony.

By the way, i am not a dealer..just a car owner that enjoy long trips driving and without fails, serviced my car on time using the right products and the right workshop on a high mileage car that runs as good if not better than a so called low milleage one....[laugh]

• Praise 1

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...752&DL=1242

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...864&DL=2143

The power of internet and these used car dealers have the cheek to tweak details and con buyers.

Most (not all) used car dealers will lie given half the chance, and without even blinking the eyes ...... maybe the only time we can consider buying a car from them is when the used car market hits the bottom and they have to off-load their stock with big discounts to cut losses....

used car buyers that prefer to buy a low mileage car than a higher one are a funny lot. That is why there is a "market" for them. Dealers are just matching the demands called for by these naive car buyers..the fun part is they themselves usually came in with high milleage cars and on their next purchased used car, they would choose a presuming low mileage ride, over a better conditioned but higher mileage one. Thier trade in car went through the cleansing process and out came a low mileage car for the next potiential bloke that thinks like him. and the cycle continues....what an irony.

By the way, i am not a dealer..just a car owner that enjoy long trips driving and without fails, serviced my car on time using the right products and the right workshop on a high mileage car that runs as good if not better than a so called low milleage one....[laugh]

yup, a well looked after high milleage car is worth considering..... I drive a 19-years old, 230,000km car and it doesnt give me trouble at all...... (i m the third owner and bought it about 6 years ago).... i found out recently by chance that the previous two owners serviced the car regularly at the same petrol station when i visited it to pump petrol.... the old mechanic told me he remember this car

Can be done by the right person. Else it wil short circuit the entire dash.

Heard from a dealer that continental cars' odometer cannot be adjusted, any experience to the contrary? [sweatdrop]

EEPROM easy to flash leh. Just use ultraviolet light. Use EPROM or prom can le. Then encryption use 128bit aes. Takes abt 2 mil years to go through the whole list of algorithms. Btw 128 bit= 2^128 combinations

Think you've got it mixed up.

EPROM is erased by using UV light while EEPROM is erased by applying a voltage a pin on the chip.

Whether it is erasable a not does not matter as it is impossible for the dealers to derive the encrypted "key" so easily.

A much more difficult method is to hash a fixed number such as ECU serial number and the miliage using algorithms such as MD5.

It works one way and difficult to reverse back the other.

ppl tend to think, high mileage=more wear n tear=higher maintenance=reason why owner sold

Think you've got it mixed up.

EPROM is erased by using UV light while EEPROM is erased by applying a voltage a pin on the chip.

Whether it is erasable a not does not matter as it is impossible for the dealers to derive the encrypted "key" so easily.

A much more difficult method is to hash a fixed number such as ECU serial number and the miliage using algorithms such as MD5.

It works one way and difficult to reverse back the other.

hashing is easy to crack. at most just show 999999 on the odometer if there's a mismatch

can i say something?EEPROM is electronic erasable program.EPROM is erasable program.technically,EPROM is not as good as EEPROM.Can we talk about adjusting mileage than compare knowledge?

Neutral Newbie

hi all bro, can i jus enquire as i jus bought a second car only 2 mths from a dealer, under in house loan. i tried asking for the date for installment to change to 12th mthly as i get my pay on that day instead of 10th which i need to pay, end up that dealer keep calling me asking for payment n said nasty things, if i were to return the car to them will i get back any amt of rebate as he said ask lawyer claim from him shd i do so..how abt my insurance, will i get back rebate too? many thks for advices

• Praise 1

very funny u, u buy car, u need to pay installment on time what.

Who cares whether your pay comes in on 10th,31st, 15th.

Installment date, u jolly well pay lo.

hi all bro, can i jus enquire as i jus bought a second car only 2 mths from a dealer, under in house loan. i tried asking for the date for installment to change to 12th mthly as i get my pay on that day instead of 10th which i need to pay, end up that dealer keep calling me asking for payment n said nasty things, if i were to return the car to them will i get back any amt of rebate as he said ask lawyer claim from him shd i do so..how abt my insurance, will i get back rebate too? many thks for advices

That should have been done before u signed the dotted line. Btw, how come everytime Installment also 10th de. Bank or inhse

↡ Advertisement