Used car dealers tampering odometer readings

Grix17

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Yes the workshop has handed me over the full service history of the car which clearly states the mileage as 126k. What they wouldn't do for me was call the previous Owner to simply ask him what the mileage was when he sold my car.

Edited by Woodman
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I bought a Presage in feb this year with the clock at 109k. I so happened to put the car into the same garage this week which the previous Owner had used. I was informed that in June last year the clock was recored as 126k so more than 17k had been altered. My garage say they got the car from another dealer and were surprised as I was. They want to meet today to discuss. I already have a letter fro CASE which to hand to them telling them they're liable for misrepresentation and the LTA have advised to call the police. As there's a 8 month prior gap to me taking delivery I can only imagine the car has done more miles. Nowyour advice please what shall i tell the dealer?

1 - my thinking is you sold the car incorrectly therefore i want a full refund, take car back and police won't be called.

2 - full refund and police called

3 - demand a huge reduction is price back.

My car is 5 years old so plan was to scrap it after 5 years so will it make a difference knwoing the clock has been altered.

As my dealer will be arriving in a few hours your advice would be most gratefully received.

End of the day, wat you want? Money? If not, dont bother. Not worth going thru legal. Legal fee not cheap. When choosing option 3,be careful cos may be considered blackmailing.

Neutral Newbie

To be honest I'm not sure what i want. Start of the week i was like great get a big reduction in the car then I've been thinking all week that I've been had and that they should be taught a lesson. End of the day I've already had pay a lot of money this week for repairs and with the mileage of the car unknown I don't want to end of paying thousands more for car which I don't know it's accurate mileage. I've simply been cheated.

Trace the former owner to testify?

Even if you do, previous owner are ' bo chap ' why get involved ' since he/she already sold donkeys days ago...

I tried making a police report cos my car mileage was tempered, with proof, the police say is civil suit. Do not want to take the compliant. And told me that the previous owner may have change the odometer. WTF. I bought my car from direct owner from sgcarmart. The owner damn good at acting blurrrrrr. :o[furious]

Bro allow me to share this true story of one of my friend, his car and mine were bought directly ( 1st hand ) from a tip Jap AD, after 2-3 years of pleasure driving his car odometer ' kaputed ' he has it changed brand new and voila his odometers starts from ZERO to HERO.

And mine was still abv average than his, does it translate to his car odometer being altered after 3 years as " ZERO " unlikely correct ?

Some-times the quality is at fault, some times it owners.

In tis car industry, it is who knows U rather who U know matters, my fren has got his part changed for FREE . He did not tampered / altered or do anything, we are car-enthusiaist .

option 3 for me. else i call police and you end your business.

U think they 'greenbird'? It's so common, they'll know all the tricks to wriggle out of it. I dun think I've read of reported cases in the media of them being caught/charged red-handed. That being the case, I would probably settle for some compensation to cover my repairs n also change the timing belt, which I think is the most impt part.

Hey all I have seen a car being sold through Quotz. 2006 blue Latio with 210K mileage but advertised as low mileage! I was shocked but now I know how rampant this is in used car market. Sigh.

Surely it's not uncommon.

Man want virgin or almost virgin wife too.

So the dealers are just giving the buyer what they like to see and hear.

Neutral Newbie

Alter engine mileage, everyone is doing it. View the condition of the car yourself is still the most accurate.

Some things to lookout for include engine vibration, engine sound, wear and tear in the car interior, blah blah

Neutral Newbie

OMG...this thing really in the market! scary leh....

All this happen because of money, can't they just resell the car as it is?

I got my 2nd hand nissan and decided to contact them to get the service report of with the mileage.

Lucky mine still in the correct range.

Dealer told me is the owner's 2nd car, was a bit half believe only.

Later see the report given by nissan is true.

They seldom drive the 2nd car so kana no battery start up.

Nissan had send ppl to their carpark to replace battery.

Guess getting the service report is very important.

end of the day, jus skip all the dealers who leave the mileage blank in sgcarmart. is it really so diff to see why such vital info is deliberately left blank? ^_^

yes they can sell the car 2-3k cheaper but go ahead, b penny wise and pound foolish.

who say so? Mine is a BMW 7 series.

I sell to car dealer at super high mileage but i ask my friend to call up and ask the mileage, it has been adjusted..

then do us a favour by telling us who you sold the car to

then do us a favour by telling us who you sold the car to

Not easy to proof them telling lie. They have 101 c0ck reasons. When I sold my previous car, that dealer also adjusted the mileage. I question him :

1st time, he say admin clerk type wrong mileage on SGcarmart.

2nd time, he say car was sent to their workshop service and re-programmed so mileage was off.

3rd time, I dont bother with his crap excuse already.

My current car, mileage was low for its age. Dealer say he dont know anything abt previous owner. They bought the car as it is. I just dont bother with the mileage and did a major servicing.

LTA must step in.

When taking over from the previous owner, handling over/ taking over form need to specify mileage.

In that way, mileage cannot be altered.

Turbocharged

There has been so many electrons spilled over this -

NOTHING is going to change until and unless it becomes illegal to wind an odo.

Nothing will happen until MIW decide they care enough to do something about it.

Dealers in New Zealand are advised not to buy Singapore cars as odo tampering is ENDEMIC to the market.

There are some very simple solutions

a) Mileage is recorded in transfer papers

b) Criminal law specifically against odo tampering

c) Mileage recorded during inspection AND road tax renewal*

* Yes this this would have to be self declared, and thus open to mistakes / deliberate fraud. However, under pain of fine for getting it wrong, it would still be orders of magnitude better than the current situation. And if the mileage is recorded during inspection, there is little incentive to lie hugely during road tax renewal.

↡ Advertisement