Turning 20, and still waiting for call-up

Latka

I think the father is more frustrated that his son can't do anything productive while waiting in expectation when his son has to serve NS and be done with it so that his son can plan his future.

But he talk very nice hor, that his son willing to serve his nation.

ST Forum

Mar 4, 2011

Turning 20, and still waiting for call-up

WHILE most eligible youth are already in national service when they turn 18, my son Nicholas Ng Zhi Yong, who will be 20 years old in June, has not been called up by the Ministry of Defence.

He has had his medical examinations and is not under any deferment from Mindef. Despite many calls to the Central Manpower Base, no one there has been able to tell us when he is slated for enlistment.

My son's peers are either in NS or have already received their enlistment dates. Here is a boy, willing to serve his nation, but is left in limbo as to his next course of action.

The time wasted in waiting for his enlistment could be better spent taking up a course, developing a skill, or working in a temporary job. Even worse is the uncertainty of when he will be enlisted. I do not need reasons, I need a date. Mindef owes it to the poor boy.

Joseph Ng

↡ Advertisement

MINDEF screw up lah...20yrs old liao still never receive letter....hey u want us to serve not we want to serve ok...still must go n beg u...

As a father, your son will be behind 2yrs becoz of NS and now plus the waiting time...time is $$.

if screw up and never call me back for reservist , i will be most welcome...

(edited)

MINDEF screw up lah...20yrs old liao still never receive letter....hey u want us to serve not we want to serve ok...still must go n beg u...

As a father, your son will be behind 2yrs becoz of NS and now plus the waiting time...time is $$.

if screw up and never call me back for reservist , i will be most welcome...

my 1st call up for reservist is after 5yrs i ORD!

my 1st ns mobilisation is 2wks after i ORD

Edited by R_aquarii

I think everybody is getting the same treatment, most of the poly grads intake are during june - sept. Don't get why he is so kan jiong, unless he is from the JC batch.

i am not against NS

but some of the good boy boy that i knew and can study

because of weak character

kena influence

began smoking, then to ROC - caught fungus growing on ti ti (little brother), came back became a regular .....

to geylang

can singapore support a professional army

rather than recruit guys like that have 2 left feet

my marksmanship score was always near 0

everybody told me point the gun infront and imagine the enemy charging and shoot but they forgot to ask me NOT to close my eyes

we spend so much money on defence

yet we can't defend the sand erosion along marine parade beach

if no call up, then just go for further education and life goes on as usual..why worry so much? if the call up comes in the middle of his son's studies, then just tell MINDEF he cannot disrupt his studies in the middle to serve NS..why fret about not getting the call up?? don't understand these pple...

if no call up, then just go for further education and life goes on as usual..why worry so much? if the call up comes in the middle of his son's studies, then just tell MINDEF he cannot disrupt his studies in the middle to serve NS..why fret about not getting the call up?? don't understand these pple...

actually no getting call up will frustrating one coz all ur friends doing NS maybe some even going ORD liao and still haven even get date of enlistment will kan jiong one. Go find work also cannot cfm when mindef going to drag ur a-- in.

I think I will just continue to do what I need to do if no kena enlistment...that's just me and how I feel...as long as he did make an effort to check with MINDEF and can show proof that, they can't pin the blame on him..cannot forever just wait for the letter to come..its a waste of one's life and time..

nowadays SAF like got more and more recruits leh. BMTC now even open new companies if not wrong call yankee and zulu company and if lagi not wrong is at rocky hill camp. Got so many ppl zo peng meh i wonder lol