Citroen C5 vs Peugeot 508

Fishman

proton has weird benchmarks for comparison. anyone who has seen the C5 will its freaking huge!

in fact non of the cars that he mentioned are compact executives.... that's a category reserved for the likes of the 3 series, c-class, A4, IS etc...

↡ Advertisement

As wad Cit SE tell me, Singapore roads very good in general, dun need the hydramatic suspension. But i do feel that at the price they could have at least included the electric seats.

Wat u mean C5 is compact executive? It may be slightly shorter than K5, Camry and Accord but its wider than all three of them. Most importantly it has longer wheelbase then all of them as well, i.e. the longer length of the K5, Camry & accord is only due to longer front/rear overhangs. If u have seen the C5 in the flesh you would know it is anything but compact! Incidentally, it is bigger than the Subaru Legacy, VW passat and Audi A4 in all areas.

The C5 is noticeably smaller than the Kia K5, Camry and Teana, both inside and out.

I'm not sure how to term the class of segment, but you get my idea. The C5 competes really with the Suzuki Kizashi, Mark X, and Mazda 6.

I would like to revise my terms as sports luxury cars?

And yes, the Dynamique spec should have the electric seats as standard, and not only on the Exclusive trim.

The C5 is noticeably smaller than the Kia K5, Camry and Teana, both inside and out.

I'm not sure how to term the class of segment, but you get my idea. The C5 competes really with the Suzuki Kizashi, Mark X, and Mazda 6.

I would like to revise my terms as sports luxury cars?

And yes, the Dynamique spec should have the electric seats as standard, and not only on the Exclusive trim.

Actually all those u mentioned are each others competitors in the same category but with slight difference to cater to different customers. For eg, Kizashi, Mark X and M6 (as well legacy) are perhaps a bit more performance oriented "sports saloons" where teana and camry are more "ah pek saloons". As far as size is concerned they are all within 100mm (or so) of each other. If every 100mm is a different category of car then we will have wwaaayyyy too many cateogries/segments. And like i said the C5's wheelbase is longer than any of the above cars. Longer car lengths are only meaningful if their wheelbase is correspondingly longer. Otherwise, long cars due to long overhangs are just a waste. And the C5 is wider as well. So no, i don't get your idea at all.

And in anycase i dun tink kizashi, MX or M6 are sports luxury saloons - they are not lux category yet. maybe executive sports saloons? Luxury sports saloon is A4, IS250, 3 series and above.

Actually all those u mentioned are each others competitors in the same category but with slight difference to cater to different customers. For eg, Kizashi, Mark X and M6 (as well legacy) are perhaps a bit more performance oriented "sports saloons" where teana and camry are more "ah pek saloons". As far as size is concerned they are all within 100mm (or so) of each other. If every 100mm is a different category of car then we will have wwaaayyyy too many cateogries/segments. And like i said the C5's wheelbase is longer than any of the above cars. Longer car lengths are only meaningful if their wheelbase is correspondingly longer. Otherwise, long cars due to long overhangs are just a waste. And the C5 is wider as well. So no, i don't get your idea at all.

And in anycase i dun tink kizashi, MX or M6 are sports luxury saloons - they are not lux category yet. maybe executive sports saloons? Luxury sports saloon is A4, IS250, 3 series and above.

To each his own, but the C5 definitely doesn't have as much road presence as the Kia K5, Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.

Driving your so called executive sports saloons, they sure are sportier to drive. But drive it next to the above 3 cars, you'd be missing out on the road presence front.

And you can continue claiming how big the C5 is, especially the wheelbase, but I'm sorry, the interior isn't the most spacious. It gave me a snug interior, not capable of taking 5 in comfort for long distance.

Neutral Newbie

Sale man? what sale man?! you thinking too much pal, if you don't like to watch u can just make a pass, there r people around us like to know more, look at a car not just base on that model u got to look at the top model as well.

Neutral Newbie

btw if i'm the salesman from Citroen i will kenna fire already , this video don't do any good on this car [:p]

The 1.6 engines (both turbo & non-turbo) were co-developed by BMW & PSA group, hence it's being used in Citroen, Peugeot & Mini.

It was Co-Developed by BMW &PSA

But BMW (Main) did not use these engines...

BMW wanted it to be used for it's sub brand (MINI)

[:)]

To each his own, but the C5 definitely doesn't have as much road presence as the Kia K5, Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.

Driving your so called executive sports saloons, they sure are sportier to drive. But drive it next to the above 3 cars, you'd be missing out on the road presence front.

And you can continue claiming how big the C5 is, especially the wheelbase, but I'm sorry, the interior isn't the most spacious. It gave me a snug interior, not capable of taking 5 in comfort for long distance.

So where would you place the Chev Cruze? It's certainly bigger and have more "presence" than an Avante/Forte/Altis. I also feel Audi A4 got more presence than C class or 3 series. The A4 is in fact a massive 200mm longer than both these cars (. So how? Would you classify the A4 in a different category from c class and 3 series?

My point is this: road presence is firstly somewhat subjective and secondly, design dependent. Something designed to be bulkier looking would have more presence over one that is sleeker. And in the case of the A4/3 series/C class above, perhaps BMW wanted to keep the dimensions smaller to get better driving characteristics, whereas audi wanted the A4 to be bigger than its competitors to gain some mkt share. Manufacturers design cars to a specific brief to achieve certain goals. Just because it is a BIT bigger or smaller doesn't make it into a different class. You want to classify cars by road presence?? Good luck.

As for interior room, i am sure the difference is not night and day. Again, if u want to classify cars by internal room then u ll have a problem as well. How to classify normal Passat (bigger interior due to higher headroom) and Passat CC (less headroom due to low roofline)? By ur defn, Passat CC with less interior space will be one class down from normal Passat which i m sure u'll agree is not the case.

Lastly, in another thread, someone had said dat can only compare cars of the same specs to which someone else replied, if it is the same specs, then wat is there to compare? It is PRECISELY dat there are differences in the specs - be it engine, transmission, dimension, features, price, etc - that gives room for comparison. You might as well just say that the C5 and 508 are 1.6L TC whereas K5, Camry, et al are 2.0L NA and hence cannot be compared. Why bother going into subjective things like road presence and interior space? Ok, lets just ASSUME you are right dat C5 has slightly smaller interior than K5/Camry/teana but in exchange, it attracts less COE (so dollar for dollar you are paying for the car and not so much the paper), less road tax and better FC and better performance. So consumer then has to decide which trade off he/she would prefer.

It is precisely that the arrival of these 1.6 TC contis that have changed the paradigm. Unfortunately u're not able to see it cos u refuse to allow them into the same category as K5, Camry, Teana, etc. The best part is, u already said urself earlier dat wad used to be 2.0L are now 1.6L. But yet, u are now contradicting urself by saying they shouldn't be compared!

Supercharged

Agreed with you. If Toyota, VW, BMW, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai etc build the car, same size, same power, same handling, same quality, same price...

Boring la.. No more argument about MIJ vs MIK, Why buy Honda... MCF can close shop already. [laugh]

So where would you place the Chev Cruze? It's certainly bigger and have more "presence" than an Avante/Forte/Altis. I also feel Audi A4 got more presence than C class or 3 series. The A4 is in fact a massive 200mm longer than both these cars (. So how? Would you classify the A4 in a different category from c class and 3 series?

My point is this: road presence is firstly somewhat subjective and secondly, design dependent. Something designed to be bulkier looking would have more presence over one that is sleeker. And in the case of the A4/3 series/C class above, perhaps BMW wanted to keep the dimensions smaller to get better driving characteristics, whereas audi wanted the A4 to be bigger than its competitors to gain some mkt share. Manufacturers design cars to a specific brief to achieve certain goals. Just because it is a BIT bigger or smaller doesn't make it into a different class. You want to classify cars by road presence?? Good luck.

As for interior room, i am sure the difference is not night and day. Again, if u want to classify cars by internal room then u ll have a problem as well. How to classify normal Passat (bigger interior due to higher headroom) and Passat CC (less headroom due to low roofline)? By ur defn, Passat CC with less interior space will be one class down from normal Passat which i m sure u'll agree is not the case.

Lastly, in another thread, someone had said dat can only compare cars of the same specs to which someone else replied, if it is the same specs, then wat is there to compare? It is PRECISELY dat there are differences in the specs - be it engine, transmission, dimension, features, price, etc - that gives room for comparison. You might as well just say that the C5 and 508 are 1.6L TC whereas K5, Camry, et al are 2.0L NA and hence cannot be compared. Why bother going into subjective things like road presence and interior space? Ok, lets just ASSUME you are right dat C5 has slightly smaller interior than K5/Camry/teana but in exchange, it attracts less COE (so dollar for dollar you are paying for the car and not so much the paper), less road tax and better FC and better performance. So consumer then has to decide which trade off he/she would prefer.

It is precisely that the arrival of these 1.6 TC contis that have changed the paradigm. Unfortunately u're not able to see it cos u refuse to allow them into the same category as K5, Camry, Teana, etc. The best part is, u already said urself earlier dat wad used to be 2.0L are now 1.6L. But yet, u are now contradicting urself by saying they shouldn't be compared!

Agree totally with your discussion. As long as around the same size physically, similiar price range and serving the same needs for the consumer, why can't we compare? We shouldn't be so nitty gritty in our comparison. If so, nothing to compare liao...

I mean, at the end of the day, if you're looking into a luxury sedan, or a car with road presence, you wouldn't consider the Mazda 6, Suzuki Kizashi, Honda Euro Accord, Toyota Mark X, and let alone the Citroen C5.

That is filled with the Kia K5, Honda Inspire/ Accord, Toyota Camry.

Though they may look like they're competing in the same class of cars, truth to be told, they're of different character altogether.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Proton_neutron,

Just to clarify, what do you exactly mean by "Road Presence"? Are you referring to the uniqueness of a certain car model which attracts stares from bypassing pedestrians, or are you referring to the number of a certain car model which can be seen on the road, and therefore has more "Presence"?

If you are referring to the former, I believe it is strongly subjective. For me, if you have the three cars you mentioned driving by on a road, and a Citroen C5, I would ultimately stare longer at the C5. As I mentioned, this would be subjective and depending on personal views.

If you are referring to the latter, then it is objective because it is a fact that we can all see Toyota Camrys and Honda Accords on the roads almost everyday, but not Citroen C5s.

Edited by Seroyen

I am sure most will agree with what you have said. But I also wonder why would you spend an iota of your brain cells to try and convince that ID 10 T, who thinks that comparing car categories is based on how special HE thinks the car looks, and how much air volume the car's cabin holds, instead of the target market that the car is designed for, price notwithstanding.

Hi Proton_neutron,

Just to clarify, what do you exactly mean by "Road Presence"? Are you referring to the uniqueness of a certain car model which attracts stares from bypassing pedestrians, or are you referring to the number of a certain car model which can be seen on the road, and therefore has more "Presence"?

If you are referring to the former, I believe it is strongly subjective. For me, if you have the three cars you mentioned driving by on a road, and a Citroen C5, I would ultimately stare longer at the C5. As I mentioned, this would be subjective and depending on personal views.

If you are referring to the latter, then it is objective because it is a fact that we can all see Toyota Camrys and Honda Accords on the roads almost everyday, but not Citroen C5s.

Road presence as it is--> The size of the car.

Sure, I won't deny the C5 is a large car by my standards, but have it parked/ stopped next to the Camry, Insignia, Accord USA, and you'd get my point.

There's really no point in a car that looks big on its own, but place it next to other similar cars in the class, it is smaller.

Just be happy that the C6 then is the one that competes with the 5-Series and E-class.

↡ Advertisement