ST Forum: Danger Lurks In Overhead Speed Checks

Vulcann

This guy proposes traffic enforcers not to be sneaky but visible when conducting speed checks so as to act as a deterent.

Will it work?

From today's online ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/...ory_642535.html

Danger lurks in overhead speed checks

I AM doubtful about the effectiveness of anti-speeding checks by officers perched on overhead bridges.

Regular motorists know of these locations and usually slow down as they approach them to ascertain if a traffic officer is there. They would then react appropriately.

The process may divert motorists' attention from the road as they look up and focus on the overhead bridge.

The danger is exacerbated when officers try and make themselves as inconspicuous as possible, forcing drivers to divert more attention away from driving by trying to spot these officers. If the aim of such traps is to reduce speeding, a person standing in plain sight with a camera would do the job just as effectively.

Permanent speed detectors should be installed wherever feasible as a long-term solution. Using overhead bridges should serve as only a short-term deterrent.

If the traffic authorities insist on using this option, the officer with the speed trap recorder should not play hide-and-seek with drivers.

Ho Kei-Leong

↡ Advertisement

i kinda agree with the writer..enforcement should hide and snipe all the errant speedsters..whats the point of slowing down when seeing police and speeding up immediately next? in fact its more dangerous just right after a speedtrap onwards

This is not a war zone where a sniper hides to shoot. Traffic police should make themselves visible on the bridge to be fair.

I find myself looking up at the bridge more than looking at the road ahead whenever I approach known overhead bridges with TP. Blame me, and I am sure a lot of drivers do the same too.

(edited)

Actually by the time motorists realised there is a mobile speed

trap, it is already too late...

IIRC these latest high-tech cameras can film clearly a car's licence plate at a range of 2km.

Edited by Vulcann

Actually by the time motorists realised there is a mobile speed

trap, it is already too late...

IRCC these latest high-tech cameras can film clearly a car's licence plate at a range of 2km.

bro... there's no point in having such a high tech cam in singapore.... there are no line of sight visbility for 2km in singapore, either a bend, or trees, or barrier, or construction will block the car from sight of the cam untill about 300m away. By then, any good SLR with 200mm lens at 8,000fps can take the shot!!

Camera + lens: $2000

Policemen sniper salary : $2300

Look on speedster face when kena flash: priceless...

Do not kid yourself. Go and read the traffic rules, the speed limits applies everywhere - not just about the spot where the enforcer is.

(edited)

bro... there's no point in having such a high tech cam in singapore.... there are no line of sight visbility for 2km in singapore, either a bend, or trees, or barrier, or construction will block the car from sight of the cam untill about 300m away. By then, any good SLR with 200mm lens at 8,000fps can take the shot!!

Agree, very few roads, less expressways, have a LOS of even more than a klick.

Remembered few years back when TP purchased these gadgets & deployed them at the stretch of ECP which act as a emergency runway, ST did a feature on it & reported on the 2km range.

So any LOS less than 2km, good luck to the speed demon...

Edited by Vulcann

I beg to differ. The one that is usually at the overhead bridge at TCS captures southbound traffic at the bend near Mount Alvernia. It's about 500m away, and drivers wouldn't think to look that far away to say "cheese."

I think they certainly have "creative" spots to capture from a distance...

I beg to differ. The one that is usually at the overhead bridge at TCS captures southbound traffic at the bend near Mount Alvernia. It's about 500m away, and drivers wouldn't think to look that far away to say "cheese."

I think they certainly have "creative" spots to capture from a distance...

[laugh] that one kena snipe like this:

sniper.jpg

i kinda agree with the writer..enforcement should hide and snipe all the errant speedsters..whats the point of slowing down when seeing police and speeding up immediately next? in fact its more dangerous just right after a speedtrap onwards

but the writer was saying that enforcement shouldn't hide...

I prefer that they make themselves visible for two reasons:

1. Their intent shouldn't be to summon people, but as a deterrent - drivers see them and are immediately reminded to slow down... (yes, I know someone will say that they purposely want to make money...)

2. I will see them in advance and won't kenna summon [:p]

On the other hand, I actually think that making themselves visible is a dangerous thing. I see many drivers suddenly spotting them and braking very hard. I wonder how many accidents they have caused...

Do any of you get nervous when you are not driving and you see a policeman / police car / TP?

Does the death penalty for trafficking drugs scare you?

Of course not (unless you are wanted or a drug trafficker).

So, if you are not speeeding (as you should always be complying with the speed limit), then WTF do people need to lookout for police hiding here and there?

If you are not speeding, WTF are you scared of? Why complain police hiding and using all sorts of "unfair" tactics?

(edited)

but the writer was saying that enforcement shouldn't hide...

i stand corrected..apologies..i meant officers should hide..i notice that drivers usually slows down after seeing a TP on the bridge(although its pointless..by the time u see TP means already kena liao)..causing more danger..one particular spot is the overhead bridge at PIE toa payoh

Edited by Darthrevan

Do any of you get nervous when you are not driving and you see a policeman / police car / TP?

So, if you are not speeeding (as you should always be complying with the speed limit), then WTF do people need to lookout for police hiding here and there?

If you are not speeding, WTF are you scared of? Why complain police hiding and using all sorts of "unfair" tactics?

bcos some idiot will step on their brake just t0 chk on the speedometer even they r travelling within speed limit.

oh man whats the blooody problem here? just fix speed camera at the underbelly of every bridge, problem solved.

no one can comprain sneaky tactic and

no one can speed.

everyone is winner :D[laugh]

ditto.

+5

Hello Ho Kei leong..

Didn't your mama and papa teach you when you're young to be a good boy and always obey the rules...

In this case traffic rules...

So if you were to always obey the rules...why are you so troubled about other ppl, being sneaky to try to catch you breaking rules?

Better ask your mama and papa what went wrong!

Rdgs :D

↡ Advertisement