What can increase acceleration?

Redcafe10

Turbocharged

friends ...  1.6 1.8 or 2.0 is not about horse power alone.

Important figure to take note is your torque.

When you want to accelerate faster than other cars.. you need big torque.

Small torque will be just small talk... no use.. 

No matter how you push or mod is the same,

Here is my car compare to an Altis 2016 model.

226 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm

128 @ 4400 

Its rediculous numbers ... 

I can get max torque of more than 200 at low 3600 rpm

while Altis need to accelerate until 4400 rpm and yet only gets 128 torque. Slightly more than half of what I got.

lets say we both accelerate as hard as we could, so our rev would wind up at about same speed. But at a low 3600 rpm I would had already pushed out 226 on the wheels while Altis is still puff towards 4400 rpm and still havent make out more than 100 torque during the rev climb towards max torque at 4400 rpm.

Gear after gear.. until we reach the speed limit of the road , say 60 km/h,, assuming nobody is going to break the speed limit legally speaking I maintained 60 and Altis maintain 60.. it would be several car lengths behind mine.

Not bragging.. but its really hard fact.

Its not just the torque ; its also the powerband how the torque is delivered .

226 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm sounds like a 3 litre naturally aspirated petrol engine ; or maybe a 2.0 litre petrol single turbo ; and peaking at 3600 rpm is not considered in low range . Twin scroll turbos can peak at 1500rpm and turbodiesels at below 2000 rpm .

In terms of acceleration alone yes you can outrun a 1.6 litre NA Altis ; but the blue colour NTUC Comfort Sonata will smoke you off the traffic lights .

Not bragging ....but its really hard fact .

• Praise 1

Easiest way to increase acceleration is to buy a new car. If you bought a slow car, don't expect it to fly like a F1 racecar...

Just to add...

If want to play, buy a car that can play.

If want to play but want to go cheap, you will play forever but will still not be satisfied

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

idk why, on dyno my car shows 333nm of torque from 2200rpm all the way to 4000rpm. on paper the acceleration is 8s. but when i do real world test i get slower timing?

gear ratio problem?

That's around 260 to 280 bhp ; on a normal saloon car you should be going under 6 sec .  Is it a heavy SUV since you are getting 8 sec ?

That's around 260 to 280 bhp ; on a normal saloon car you should be going under 6 sec .  Is it a heavy SUV since you are getting 8 sec ?

333Nm is on crank. wheels ard 250+  mine is the all new C180 with monster tuned. now doing 201bhp 

333Nm is on crank. wheels ard 250+  mine is the all new C180 with monster tuned. now doing 201bhp 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Your torque of 333Nm is available from 2200 to 4000 rpm .  At 4,000 rpm , your power output is already 186 bhp . If you are having 201 bhp max , it means that your max power occurs relative close to 4,000 rpm , my estimation probably around 4,200 rpm .  Beyond 4,200 rpm , your torque drops dramatically .That's why you are getting 8 sec , the engine simply runs out of steam beyond 4,200 . Because century sprints are done with WOT , you need peak power output preferably all the way to 6000 rpm and beyond .

C180 is 1.6L .   A 1.6L NA engine gives you around 120 bhp , and in your C180 with turbocharging , you get 150 bhp stock . And because you are squeezing another massive 50bhp out of it to make it 200 bhp , the engine becomes grossly inefficient at the higher rpms hence the massive drop in torque at the higher revs.

• Praise 1

Your torque of 333Nm is available from 2200 to 4000 rpm .  At 4,000 rpm , your power output is already 186 bhp . If you are having 201 bhp max , it means that your max power occurs relative close to 4,000 rpm , my estimation probably around 4,200 rpm .  Beyond 4,200 rpm , your torque drops dramatically .That's why you are getting 8 sec , the engine simply runs out of steam beyond 4,200 . Because century sprints are done with WOT , you need peak power output preferably all the way to 6000 rpm and beyond .

C180 is 1.6L .   A 1.6L NA engine gives you around 120 bhp , and in your C180 with turbocharging , you get 150 bhp stock . And because you are squeezing another massive 50bhp out of it to make it 200 bhp , the engine becomes grossly inefficient at the higher rpms hence the massive drop in torque at the higher revs.

i look at my torque graphs. the 333nm comes in at 2200pm and stretches flat out till 4000pm b4 it starts to drop.

so its better if i use pedal shift and change gear at 4k?

Turbocharged

Shifting at 4k will not give you a lower sprint time ; but it will give you the feeling of a very torquey drive .

• Praise 1

If you have lauch control then you need to use launch control to achieve that figure.

Otherwise if just stepping from idling RPM from stationary you will not hit it.

Temperature, tyres, driver, weight, fuel, all affects.

Mfg data is controlled data performed at controlled environment.

real life... will never get close.. 
But as long your car out accelerate others means your car better than theirs already.

i look at my torque graphs. the 333nm comes in at 2200pm and stretches flat out till 4000pm b4 it starts to drop.

so its better if i use pedal shift and change gear at 4k?

It's not pedal shift.

All automatic cars are smart enough to shift gears depending on your acceleration / speed condition.

If you stepped lightly on the gas pedal, it's going to shift gears at 2000 rpm generally.

If you stepped harder during acceleration, the gears will shift later, probably say 3500 rpm.

Well,, if you then stepped pretty hard, lets say 90% to 100% to the metal, then it will shift at say 5500 rpm.

To use pedal shifters, might as well just step harder.

In my car, if I use the +/- gears, the shifting becomes more harsh, can feel the engine / gbox will feel a bit fierce during gear shifting.

If I just step fully, the gears shifts smoothly, even at 5500 rpm

Just use leg.

That's what automatics are for.

Forget about pedal shifters. They are for posers.

Don't stress out your engine man, does your car come with drive settings i.e sports mode, comfort mode etc?