Gearbox issues; and problems at VW Service Centre

Presea

have you ever change your ATF before ?

my VW gearbox is "lifetime" ATF - means no need to change ATF. My mechanic told me, "either you change ATF or your change gearbox later." Which make sense to me, given the temperature and friction a gearbox has to function.

Lol.... what your mechanic said is very true. This lifetime ATF has been used by various companies before (BMW is one of them). The result? Owners have to change gearbox in the end.

↡ Advertisement

yeah lor......these seems to be 2 issues on hand

1) over-engineering resulting in more quirks and breakdowns

2) technical support team not hired in tandem with the burgeoning sales

for me whether conti or asian makes, there must not be too much down time caused by frequency of breakdowns or insufficent maintenace and support service. after all, in singapore, your car depreciates every day whether you drive it or not.

down time is actually wasting our value of the car each day.

for reliability, the japs still have it. VW? well, it's a mainstream brand that appeals to the rational, yet doesn't deliver rationally. that's pretty damning actually.

1 out of every 10 cars sold in S'pore in 2011 was a VW.

But it seems like the agent did not expand their workshop to cope with the increased after sales service demand.

My friend who owns a Passat told me the 7 speed DSG is problematic. The gears get stuck and cannot engage or move up to the next higher gear.

Korean cars seem less problematic. Of course, the good old trusted Japanese make is still most reliable, but the Asia assembled models are lacking in finishing.

for reliability, the japs still have it. VW? well, it's a mainstream brand that appeals to the rational, yet doesn't deliver rationally. that's pretty damning actually.

actually most car owners like reliability but i think the connoiseur in us would not mind a reliable (even if less reliable than jap) conti since they promise the driving oomph as well.

but cars should deliver decent performance on both ends of these consideration and consumers have no reason to complain

actually most car owners like reliability but i think the connoiseur in us would not mind a reliable (even if less reliable than jap) conti since they promise the driving oomph as well.

but cars should deliver decent performance on both ends of these consideration and consumers have no reason to complain

If it's a 2nd car (if I can afford a 2nd car), ok.

Cars in SG are too costly to be bought with only the heart.

My heart was set on a non asian make when I change my current ride. I end up looking at asian makes again. <_<

Think I will steer clear of VW in future.

Lots of people buy VW cos they have never tried VW and seemed worth it at current COE and also long warranty offered vs the likes of BMW, MErc or Audi. But chances are higher it seemed from many VW forums - small or big problem will appear in the 1st or 2nd year, go back to workshop = lost use of car for long time. Free repair but no car to use.....VW is consider bread and butter car, like toyota, but reliability wise, not on par. Its up to the individual.........Borneo motors has a few workshops here, and many outside small workshops can service toyotas/honda with genuine parts.

There will be lots of VW on the second hand market soon...., got a friend who buy BMW 3 series SDW plate and vow to not buy anymore as engine eat oil - 1 lit of engine oil every 2500 km!!! who dare to service every 15000 km??, want to find out where the problem is but charged big money for diagnosis, changed gaskets etc. Like most people, he used to drive japanese..... I told him cannot compare but he enjoys more compared to Nissan or Toyota.

Mentality has to change, pocket has to be deeper to enjoy continental. Otherwise, sell.

Not only VW having such problem.

had a bmw (E60) that also has mechatronic problem. At first thought is isolated case, but seems like many 5/7 series has this same problem also, those using the ZF gearbox, including Jaguar.

Its a pain sending back to AD, check here check there, want to change the ATF, then reprogram the software. All done (time and $ spent) cannot solve the issue.

Through forums, found that its the mechatronics and costs a bomb to replace, thats why AD drag here and there avoiding the true cause of the problem.

Change ATF can charge you, if its mechatronics during warranty period, they have to cover mah.... -_-;

The E60 also has oil-burning problem (1L every 1000+ km) - and AD want to say its "normal" .. what BS ! end up found out the engine was leaking oil albeit slowly, but warranty long over after all the dragging.

Was thinking of trying out audi next... but seems that gearbox problems are endless also :(

Edited by Asure7

Someone open a VW specialize workshop in Singapore sure make lots of money one!

On topic, I cannot understand the problem VW have in Singapore. You do not become one of the best selling brand in the world, & #1 car in Europe if you have so many issues.

20 years old golfs are still pretty common sight in Germany. In Germany, if you want a no fuss car, you get a golf.

My collegue DSG equip passat also no issue, despite the weather currently.

Maybe the DSG is just not quite suit for Tropical climate? But then, there is always manual.

1 out of every 10 cars sold in S'pore in 2011 was a VW.

But it seems like the agent did not expand their workshop to cope with the increased after sales service demand.

My friend who owns a Passat told me the 7 speed DSG is problematic. The gears get stuck and cannot engage or move up to the next higher gear.

Korean cars seem less problematic. Of course, the good old trusted Japanese make is still most reliable, but the Asia assembled models are lacking in finishing.

Asia assembled? Japan is also in Asia!

Sudden surge in sales of BMW, MB, VW, Audi etc would end up in flooding their exisiting workshops. I am not aware if any of them has opened new workshops or expanded their existing. on the otherhand, Japanese AD's workshops would be free as their sales have come down!

Was told for VW make cars.. it is the turbo that is causing engine oil "consumption".. any engineering truth to that?

Now my BMW friend never spends any money at performance motor, gave up already. Just service outside and top up oil himself every now and then check oil level..... Last time my dad old datsun pickup eats oil too, so he checks oil tops up every month but never change engine oil, but that was 30 years ago............

I still enjoy sitting in BMW more than my own toyota though......

Have to pay more to enjoy more.

If it's a 2nd car (if I can afford a 2nd car), ok.

Cars in SG are too costly to be bought with only the heart.

My heart was set on a non asian make when I change my current ride. I end up looking at asian makes again. <_<

yep, neither will i buy purely becahse the car sets my heart on a flutter.

for me a decent level of reliability is good enough, i like to mix it with some good driving feel.

Yah.. engine oil consumption is a small thing IMHO.. nowadays cars got engine oil indicator anyway.. when low.. will prompt for driver to chk.. just top up 1 liter can use again.. from experience.. my TSI engine need top up at 14k.. ok la.. the turbo is really quite shiok..

Prob w most B&B jap cars is the torque kicks in at >4k rpm.. really have to lut the engine hard.. not as shiok

Maybe the DSG is just not quite suit for Tropical climate? But then, there is always manual.

Our market sell manual? AD eat grass in no time. [:p]

Yah.. engine oil consumption is a small thing IMHO.. nowadays cars got engine oil indicator anyway.. when low.. will prompt for driver to chk.. just top up 1 liter can use again.. from experience.. my TSI engine need top up at 14k.. ok la.. the turbo is really quite shiok..

Prob w most B&B jap cars is the torque kicks in at >4k rpm.. really have to lut the engine hard.. not as shiok

My TFSI engine need servicing only every 30K, wonder why the big differences.

20 years old golfs are still pretty common sight in Germany. In Germany, if you want a no fuss car, you get a golf.

My collegue DSG equip passat also no issue, despite the weather currently.

There is a BIG difference between the 70-80's VWs (e.g. Golf Mk1&2) ... they were super reliable and built like tanks then. VW's quality had started to decline even before the disappointing DSG saga - actually from the Golf Mk3 onwards in early 90's. from then on, it was downhill all the way. In the name of cost cutting and applying new technology, I suppose.

But truth be told that VW actually does offer other g/b options like manual and Tiptronic A/T - which are far more reliable, tried and tested decades long. Only thing though is VCS just refuses to bring in these alternatives - preferring to spec all the models with DSG only.

At least PA is more flexible in that they do bring in >3L Audi models in Tiptronic A/T and some of their S models in manual / special order.

If they already know that DSG is unsuitable for our hot and humid tropical weather, then they should ditch it and sell only A/Ts and manuals. I am sure that this re-strategy would garner even more sales, possibly even overtaking BMW and Merc!

Edited by W210k
↡ Advertisement