Gearbox issues; and problems at VW Service Centre

Presea

I am actually surprised we have the same point of view especially after seeing all your posts on cyclists [laugh]

As long as we are mature enough to keep disagreement confined to the subject of the thread, there will inevitably be issues where we will have common grounds. :D

ho ho ho......unlike our useless CASE, oz consumer rights beri powderful one. would be keen to see how vw gonna siam their way outta this one.

Yes it is high time the Gahment here introduced consumer protection laws................but to start with you need a free press.

Fairfax Media in Oz have been hounding VW and now they have issued a recall..................

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/outcry-...0611-2o28i.html

Suggest you read it though because in there it refers to a fatac wfter the car being driven is alleged to have sudden loss of power and IT WAS A MANUAL

It's the same issue... When the mu fail and go into safe mode, the speed will do suddenly to max 50?...

No there are reports of deceleration in manuals too.............suggest you read my earlier post

Let me share my recent experience with vw.

I recently went to Germany and rented a VW Polo 1.2 with 7 speed DSG. It is almost brand new. The mileage is 1500km when I got the car. I have to say the door is very solid, even though it is a small car.

After driving it for 3 days over 1000km, I first started to have problem with the aircon, which failed to produce any wind sometimes. While I was driving in the city of Munich, I first saw the battery icon shown on the dashboard, then I felt the car losing power. Within the next few seconds, I tried to steer the car to the road side before the car completely stopped.

I then tried to restart the car but failed. Someone helped me to push the car to the road side, because the car was not straighten and blocking traffic behind. I then tried a few times to start the engine, but I didn't hear any starter motor sound. Only the icons on the dashboard keeps blinking when I turn the key.

Waited for 1 hour before the ADAC tow truck to show up. The guy tried to start and also failed. He then connect his power source from his truck to the battery and the car was able to start. I tried to explain what happened but he cannot speak English.

I had the 2nd loss of power incident a few hours later on the same day. This time the car loose power when I was waiting to turn left in a junction. A police car was behind me this time and the police helped me to push it to the road side. Then I walked back to the hotel, which is 400 metres away. This time the rescue people came much quickly. I passed the key to him. Surprisingly this time the car can be started on itself.

I changed to another rental car after that. Just imagine if the loss of power happened on the highway.

That is allegedly what happened on the Monash expressway in Victoria and the result was fatal. And it was a manual.....................

Neutral Newbie

I don't think VW Singapore gives a hoot whether their car stalls along highway. If they have the same attitude as Fiat where they are only interested in meeting sales target then whatever repairs will not be taken seriously. I sent a complaint to Fiat Torino Italy before. Then they forward back CC me saying that TTS shall be responsible and shall do the needful. I was like... Taiji back n forth.

I will never get such issues with Borneo or other jap makes.

(edited)

Hi all. I have read and heard horror stories of vw DSG gearbox and their tsi engine. However not on the older 5 cylinder engine and 6 speed gearbox (not DSG). I have been driving jap car all along and will be going over to US for 2 years. Being posted there by my company. I was browsing through and saw their jetta still using the older technology.

Anyone can advise if the US version of vw is as bad as what we have have? Definitely don't wanna be stuck in the middle of highway there. Imagine all the super big vehicle zooming pass me :wacko:

Anw I am restricted by my company that I can't buy high cc car so I only have limited choices.

Edited by Mazdacar

(edited)

Hi all. I have read and heard horror stories of vw DSG gearbox and their tsi engine. However not on the older 5 cylinder engine and 6 speed gearbox (not DSG). I have been driving jap car all along and will be going over to US for 2 years. Being posted there by my company. I was browsing through and saw their jetta still using the older technology.

Anyone can advise if the US version of vw is as bad as what we have have? Definitely don't wanna be stuck in the middle of highway there. Imagine all the super big vehicle zooming pass me :wacko:

Anw I am restricted by my company that I can't buy high cc car so I only have limited choices.

Camry/Accord there so popular, somemore engine sibei tua liap one. You won't get underpowered Camry/Accord like in Singapore. Dun worry. :D Dun need die die must get Jetta. IIRC, the Jetta there very basic one - using torsion beam suspension. I think those fat bums like boat ride. [laugh]

Edited by Kangadrool

Turbocharged

Camry/Accord there so popular, somemore engine sibei tua liap one. You won't get underpowered Camry/Accord like in Singapore. Dun worry. :D Dun need die die must get Jetta. IIRC, the Jetta there very basic one - using torsion beam suspension. I think those fat bums like boat ride. [laugh]

the hell would buy vw in states? It's as rare as Daewoo....i say get an Acura or Infiniti..... [:p]

In other words, you respect choices and preference of others as long as they are exactly like yours.

I have already said I respect your choice to place a premium on reliability, even if the rest of the car is less than optimal. You dun have to nag and repeat the same points again and again.

I refer you to my earlier post. "problem starts when 1 gp thinks their thinking is superior than the others". I do not think my choice is better than yours, you obviously placed yourself on a pedestal. [wave]

I have been in that situation before, ie. sudden loss of power at a critical juncture, with my kids in the vehicle, so it is difficult for me to understand your choice. I got rid of the car almost immediately. But I respect your decision as you have obviously considered the risk, however remote, and accepted them.

Turbocharged

I have been in that situation before, ie. sudden loss of power at a critical juncture, with my kids in the vehicle, so it is difficult for me to understand your choice. I got rid of the car almost immediately. But I respect your decision as you have obviously considered the risk, however remote, and accepted them.

after ready most the supporters' arguement and justification, they seems to confused by "wear and tear" with "manufacturing defects" anyway, it's their live and i respect their choice... [sweatdrop]

i sure most who think the dsg is problematics understood that for wear and tear components, it just require regular change and maintenance from time to time but manufacturing defects of such kind might cause accident.. that's the different... [lipsrsealed]

VW, Audi and Skoda recalled in Australia.

Article link: http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf...A257B88002305CD

More than 8000 Audi and Skoda vehicles recalled over possible VW transmission flaw

By MIKE COSTELLO

MORE than 8000 Audi and Skoda vehicles will be recalled in Australia over the same transmission fault that has seen parent company Volkswagen today recall nearly 26,000 vehicles of its own.

Premium brand Audi will recall 6267 of its A1 and A3 small hatchbacks built between July 2008 and July 2011, fitted with the S tronic seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission (Audi

the hell would buy vw in states? It's as rare as Daewoo....i say get an Acura or Infiniti..... [:p]

I got very strict restriction from company on getting a car there (its easy to guess what company I am referring to). Would have gone for other more powerful cars if I can.

0 to 100 must be more than 8 sec

lesser than 2.5litres vehicle

non sporty look

I was looking at so many other car and saw jetta fit my bill and regulation. Guess got to give it a miss since vw is still as bad over in state.

I got very strict restriction from company on getting a car there (its easy to guess what company I am referring to). Would have gone for other more powerful cars if I can.

0 to 100 must be more than 8 sec

lesser than 2.5litres vehicle

non sporty look

I was looking at so many other car and saw jetta fit my bill and regulation. Guess got to give it a miss since vw is still as bad over in state.

heng sway la..vw is still v powerful car..still so many jetta on the rd