Gearbox issues; and problems at VW Service Centre

Presea

err, buy a manual gearbox SEAT? no more DSG worries. but who knows about other problems if any...

Too bad, SEAT range all DSG, no manual gearbox.

No AD will bring in manual gearbox without a good reason.

But agree with you, there may be other types of problems (gremlins) besides  the infamous DSG gearbox problem!

Generally Conti makes are famous for developing problems!

↡ Advertisement

Too bad, SEAT range all DSG, no manual gearbox.

No AD will bring in manual gearbox without a good reason.

But agree with you, there may be other types of problems (gremlins) besides  the infamous DSG gearbox problem!

Generally Conti makes are famous for developing problems!

i count at least 4models with Manual gear option at the SEAT showroom.

did you actually go to the showroom, or just assume and say too bad.if you don't know say don't know lah. please don't assume and confuse fellow MCFers here.

i count at least 4models with Manual gear option at the SEAT showroom.

did you actually go to the showroom, or just assume and say too bad.if you don't know say don't know lah. please don't assume and confuse fellow MCFers here.

That is surprising! What models have manual gearbox option?

Did not go to the showroom yet, only spoke to one SE over the phone.

That was what the SE told me over the phone i.e. no manual gearbox option.

Maybe the SE is new and does not have the facts right.

Thanks for clarifying this, was not my intention to confuse fellow MCFers here.

Just to update MCFers here, SEAT does have manual indent option for manual gear box for all models.

They have manual gearbox in stock for limited models only.

Call them to check on latest stock status.

Neutral Newbie

Sorry I might be a bit out of topic here but I would like to check if the VW service centre does maintenance of the MU for their cars? I recently bought the VW Touran which is about 4 years old and 70k mileage. Not sure if their service centre does it or not. Thanks a lot in advance!

Sorry I might be a bit out of topic here but I would like to check if the VW service centre does maintenance of the MU for their cars? I recently bought the VW Touran which is about 4 years old and 70k mileage. Not sure if their service centre does it or not. Thanks a lot in advance!

I think MU is a Electronic Part,maintence free.

You may bring to the workshop which I go to.

They are competent in their diagnosis so i would suggest you do a health check there to see if there is any existing issues and any issues that are upcoming since the mileage n age is climbing.

Ignite performance

8 Kaki Bukit Ave 4

#02-27 Premier @ Kaki Bukit

Look for Diwei when u are there.

I think MU is a Electronic Part,maintence free.

Only replaceable and apparently it is not cheap

All gearboxes be it conventional auto, cvt, whatever, all are controlled by a "MU". It's just that car makers give it a different name. It's a computer with actuators and solenoids that do the shifting. Settings are made via software programming to do the shifting for you in various conditions. In a manual you are the "MU".

Come to think of it this has so many problems that owners think that it needs maintainence. Dunno to laugh or to cry.

Neutral Newbie

Wow.. thanks to all Bros for the advice! Cos I saw online there's a company that does mu servicing as a new product and the company looks reputable so I'm not sure if VW also offer this service.. :)

Wow.. thanks to all Bros for the advice! Cos I saw online there's a company that does mu servicing as a new product and the company looks reputable so I'm not sure if VW also offer this service.. :)

Which co does MU servicing?

Bro accordvtec, I read that syncrowerkz does that. From their fb page. Not sure is that reliable or not.

If Volkswagen singapore is providing this, then perhaps u can consider.

Neutral Newbie

Ic.. so it's not very trustable in this case? Thanks for the advice bro accord! And I love my accord previously.. :)

I don’t think agent will do repairs on electronic parts, especially MU. They will usually replace a new MU and provide full warranty for it.

I don’t think agent will do repairs on electronic parts, especially MU. They will usually replace a new MU and provide full warranty for it.

if yr car isn't under warranty, then it's going to be ex. there are parts of the mu tat can be replaced, like solenoids. im not aware of workshops in sg tat do it though. 

do note the agent doesn't do, doesn't mean it can't be done. 

1yr+ passed over my last post on the VW replaced my Polo 1.2 tsi MU out of good will :)

Followed by replacing gearbox also FOC but paid for labour (reasonable few hundreds cannot recalled the figure) and they give 2 yrs warranty on that replacement. Now changed to Golf mk7 and still loving how much fun VW ride gives.

If really want to try out or enjoy a conti car, then try not to worry too much over the maintenance as long as you upkeep with the recommended servicing and best is back to Volkswagen so they can clock your service record and they will try to appeal FOC replacement for major parts when out of warranty.

Cheers!

Neutral Newbie

Hi All,

I'm intending to get a resale 2010 Jetta sport.

Anyone have an idea what the average consumption like? Say, normal sg traffic and driving?

What do I have to look for during purchase since it's famous for it's MU and gearbox. :)

I guess if the owner has replaced them, it should be fine? 

Than again it's a 8yo car.

Any advise would be appreciated.

↡ Advertisement